New to TN, Looking for 3 Answers

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

Postby CP » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:49 am

Hey all... I am a duck/goose hunter and will be spending a year learning where and how to hunt ducks in TN.

A couple of questions...

1) Are tips on how the public hunting process works in TN? MO does a draw every morning at 12-15 state parks. I was not sure how TN does public draws, if at all.

2) For nondraw water, I am pretty comfortable scouting, but was not sure of the rules for public water. Some states let you walk the natural high water mark in rivers. Some don't allow you to even anchor a boat on the bottom of a river. Any ideas on how TN treats public water and private land issues?

3) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY... I would love to connect to anyone that duck hunts and wants a tag along. I would be thrilled to share costs and the work, and have all of the gear a group would need to kill ducks and geese, off water or fields (as well as a fast and safe rig with a pop up blind). If you are looking for someone to hunt ducks with and have space... I will take it. PM me and we can talk that over.

Thanks!

~CP
Last edited by CP on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CP
hunter

Re: New to TN, Looking for 3 Answers

Postby BigAL64 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:17 pm

WOW CP, 186 views and no response's!! Looks like these TN guys are going to be some tough nuts to crack. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: I know CP from the Mo. site and although we did not always agree, he is a pretty good guy. He is no escouter and he scouted and worked hard to find spots here in Mo.We were supposed to get together for some goose hunting but it didn't happen because of his job transfer. But I know guys that have hunted with him and he is a safe and ethical hunter. GOOD LUCK HUNTING IN TN. CP!! :beer:
BigAL64
hunter

Postby CP » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks BigAl! I still feel bad that we missed a goose hunting run, as I think that would have been a three-goose day for me! :no:

I already miss the MO forum, but since I am now living in TN, that makes me an OOSer... so I will just get to know the guys here and start fitting in. Give it three or four weeks, and I will already be giving out advice and acting like I know something about killing ducks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Last edited by CP on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CP
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:29 am

Ok I have been away on a a trip and just got back.

1. What part of Tn. do you live?
2. Do you have a boat or dog?
3. Are you just a day, weekend hunter?

It is going to be hard to help you with out knowing a little more about you. Tn. has a lot of public land to hunt. Most of the time it is who gets there frist and then it is like a 1/2 day hunt and you need to take out your blind each day. We have draw blinds that you can get if you are lucky. The draw blind are good to hunt out of and if there is no one in they before sun up you can hunt from them that day, (more on this later if you like). Finding a good spot on your own is going to be hard but can be done. it may be best for you to scout out duck hunter that a spot this time of year. Look for guys with ducks on there trucks, ask around at a spoting store or a bar on the weekend.

Good luck.

Nice to have you come to Tn. Hope to talk more with you.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Postby CP » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:29 am

Itchy,

Great questions! Thank you.

First, My expectation and practice in MO was that my sports were a 4 hour circle from my home. That means camping, hotels, etc are part of the duck hunt trip. Spent many nights in the boat the evening before the hunt to be ready to hunt the next morning. Also, I bought duck licenses for 2 states usually. So said a different way... I expect to hunt all of Tennessee, and perhaps spots in KY and southern IL, and probably a few locations in the eastern-most 40 miles of Arkansas... I just need to rebuild my hunting buddy black book.

Next, I am a day, weekend, night, and holiday hunter! I make time for my addiction... commitment is key! And I save up the vacation days for use on duck collecting! :smile: I work a job that gives me some latitude during duck season.

Finally, yes I have a boat. It is a 2005 16/52 Waco duck machine with a 50hp Merc (she flies like a rocket ship), and all the gear needed for ducks and/or geese in marsh, fields, or lakes. So, I come prepared for war, and war on any battlefield. Pop-up blind does well for a max of three guys. I am a B- caller for ducks, but still about a D+ for geese. :yes:

No dog however. My wife is allergic to dogs. Thank goodness she is not allergic to boats.

If anyone on this forum wants to get together for a beer/coffee before the season to talk about where, how, and what to do when you are new to a state... let me know. I will pay the tab!
Last edited by CP on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CP
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:18 pm

Now we are on a the right track. I live in west Tn. and have hunted east Tn. I would be lost in the center, but there are a few that hunt that part of the state. I hate to sat but I hurt my back and have not hunted in years becuse I can not walk far and in the mud it kills me as for boats I can take a day in a boat as long as I don't get bang around much. I have a dog that was traned along side of Drake the DUL dog, but he has not had theat much use in the pass few years. But i still know a lot about this side of the state. So if you find a spot let me know I will help you out the best I can.

check me out at www.itchyoutdoors.com
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Postby Team Turpin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:38 am

CP, I live in Mboro ust south of u. Moved here from Memphis about 12 years ago and not much in the way of GOOD duck hunting here.

Old Hickory, Woods, Cheatham are 3 close WMA's that draw for blinds on August 6th this year. All state blinds are drawn at the same day and same time.

I still drive back and forth to our lease in Arkansas and West Tn. I actually hunt with a guy down in Shelbyville that lived in St. Louis for a while and moved back here. Ya'll had some good spots up there so I imagine you may be in shock in Mid Tn. come November.

Mid Tn. is good on the early season goose in September and thats about it. AND that's only if you can get out and get permission for fields they are using.

You will hear alot about blinds around here killing 300-600 in a season but most the time on the WMA's its a bunch of fibbing.:D

Your closest BEST place to draw is gonna be Big Sandy. About 1 1/2 hours west of Nville. It is also probably the largest turnout. Most draws will have from 300 t0 2000 at them for 40-60 blinds. Big Sandy will have 4000 for about 80 blinds. BS, Camden, Gin Creek have blinds that will kill 1000 or better ducks but those blinds will go top in the draw.
Duck hunting is perilous.......especially for the duck.
Walter Cronkite
Team Turpin
hunter

Postby CP » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:02 am

I have to assume that having a boat blind and being able to rive East 3 hours to hunt (not uncommon for me in MO), that I should be able to part together at least 6 nice spots in the next few years. I have to think that rivers and reservoirs in West TN should make for good duck hunting spots. That will mean lots of scouting on my part, but I am quite optimistic that I can put it all together.

That said... I would LOVE to go out this year with anyone that would have me (anyone = people that are safe and ethical). My boat rules are pretty obvious, no drinking, guns pointed up, etc. So if anyone wants to join me in my scouting effort, PM me and we can get a beer or coffee well before the season and form a plan of attack.

Also... I have to assume that there are rentals in Arkansas that I could get for a season. Does anyone know much about these? I never needed one in MO, but am thinking about it now.
CP
hunter

Postby Team Turpin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:07 am

Leases in Arkansas are gonna start out around $3500 for a pit and go upwards.

Most the ones we have are in the $7000 to 10,000 range.

Never know what you will get though. First year is usually a learning year.
Duck hunting is perilous.......especially for the duck.
Walter Cronkite
Team Turpin
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:47 pm

You just have to be 100 yards away from visible dwellings. I'm not sure how the watermark works as I've never been stopped for it. As far as hunting, stay away from East Tennessee. I've never shot a limit of birds and neither has anyone I've known. The farther west you go, the better. Reelfoot has good duck hunting and is a really neat area that holds ducks. I can't personally attest to it though because I'm a poor college student and can't afford to get out there. :lol3:

As far as blinds, read the regulations. There should be some old ones stickied at the top of the page from a year or two ago that I put up. There are some that you are drawn for a whole season on, and some that you get drawn for a couple weeks. To my knowledge, we don't have any morning drawings. Most of the places around here are first come first serve and you take your blind with you each day. I don't do WMA's though, I hunt TVA land. If you want more info PM me.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby possumfoot » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:57 am

head west..

reelfoot area kills a few... :yes: :yes: :yes:
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby double_B » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:50 pm

i have to agree that the duck/geese hunting is definetely better in West Tn, i.e. Reelfoot but here in upper East Tn there are some good hunting to be had, you just have to scout quite a bit. Last year we hit 3 man limits on ducks quite a few times but always had plenty to shoot at. The lakes around here get alot of diver traffic, we just didn't have a good boat to use to really get out there to hunt them. Goose season was really good, early and regular season both. We (me and two buddies) pulled 7 bands last season, and hopefully this year we will get lucky again! Like i said it isn't the flyway by no means but we still have fun!
double_B
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:57 pm

east tn does have some really good canada goose hunting..

if you can find places that are not "locked up"..

but 95% of the birds are resident birds...

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:41 pm

Paducah ky is 2 hrs from you if your in nashville. id take you on a hunt up here if you ever wanna make the trip. we mainly hunt the flooded timber for mallards. If the weather is right or if during scouting i find the birds on the big lakes I hunt there. which barkley and ky lakes are closer for you also.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:47 pm

possumfoot wrote:east tn does have some really good canada goose hunting..

Exactly. After the opening day, you're done. And everyone is out on opening day. All the skybusters and idiots come out. At least that's the way it is around here.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby teamoutlaw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Id go to one of the blind drawings. If you dont get drawn you will be around several people who hunt the area. also if you do get drawn you can let someone you met sign on with you if you choose to and possibly make you a hunting buddy that way. ethier way I would still go.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:

Exactly. After the opening day, you're done. And everyone is out on opening day. All the skybusters and idiots come out. At least that's the way it is around here.

i would not say that... i have a buddy over there that hammers their ass sept, oct, and jan.. december is kinda tricky though..

limits aint hard to come by, even late in the season if you know what your doing...

possumfoot
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:34 am

possumfoot wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:

i would not say that... i have a buddy over there that hammers their ass sept, oct, and jan.. december is kinda tricky though..

limits aint hard to come by, even late in the season if you know what your doing...

It depends on where you go. I've got public land and that's it. Everything gets shot at by everyone it seems like. I do best late in the season when it gets cold and the skybusters stay home.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby luckyhat12 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:31 pm

I just moved to Nashville a couple months ago and am looking for a place to hunt as well. I am planning to try the old hickory blind draw next weekend because I live on the east side of Nashville so we'll see. I'm not really getting my hopes up though.

I usually hunt north alabama but am trying to keep from driving back and forth every weekend to hunt there. Maybe if I can find somewhere much closer I would get to hunt more.

Chris
luckyhat12
Newb

Postby hs745 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:56 pm

welcome to tennessee!!!! i.m also new to tennesee...i.m retired and live in camden....five miles from the river and refuges...i also have a duck boat and would be glad to join up with you on any given day....give me a hollar if your interested.....hsk :welcome: :welcome:
hs745
Newb

Postby moneymaker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:50 am

Here i will help out like you do CP :lol3:

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/10/0 ... aa014903a/
knockemdeadd wrote:how could i put a pricetag on memories made with my son
So can i hunt with you now since i used a qoute from you?hahahahaha
moneymaker
hunter

Postby moneymaker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Could also put that duck boat out on Dale Hollow and shoot some coots and saw bills :lol3:
knockemdeadd wrote:how could i put a pricetag on memories made with my son
So can i hunt with you now since i used a qoute from you?hahahahaha
moneymaker
hunter

Postby CP » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:52 pm

moneymaker wrote:Here i will help out like you do CP :lol3:

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/10/0 ... aa014903a/

That is a good link. Thanks!
CP
hunter

Postby badtransam97 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm new to the forums, but Ive been hunting for years. I'm from west Tennessee and usually hunt there and in Missouri. I have recently moved to the Franklin/Cool Springs area for work, and would like to meet up with some fellow duck hunters up here if there are any haha! Id also like to find out if anyone has any good places to send a newcomer to the area!
badtransam97
Newb

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:55 pm

Try the river.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Next

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting