Anyone near Watauga Lake TN?

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

Anyone near Watauga Lake TN?

Postby infantry86 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:09 am

Well I just finished a tour in Afghanistan and am now back in Germany. I will be visiting family this Christmas and staying in a cabin near Watauga Lake TN. Between being rusty (havent been able to hunt in 2 years) and not knowing TN I figured a guided hunt would be best.

Anyone know of any good guide services in that area? Every year I don't duck hunt a little piece of me dies inside...
Just lookin for the ducks...
infantry86
hunter

Re: Anyone near Watauga Lake TN?

Postby possumfoot » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:27 am

hate to tell ya this, but there is very very little duck hunting in E. Tn.. and that lake sits in a national park/forest..

best i can tell ya is to see in there are any guides on douglas or cherokee lakes.. but even if you find one, don't expect much..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby infantry86 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:29 am

I was afraid of that...

I might look into shooting something else then just to hold me over until I come back to the states.
Just lookin for the ducks...
infantry86
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:03 pm

possumfoot wrote:hate to tell ya this, but there is very very little duck hunting in E. Tn.. and that lake sits in a national park/forest..

best i can tell ya is to see in there are any guides on douglas or cherokee lakes.. but even if you find one, don't expect much..

Ditto. I've never heard of any guides around here at all. Then again, I haven't looked. You can get some pretty good shoots if you find a private pond. The problem with east TN is that TVA killed all the milfoil, etc, on the lakes. The ducks ate it as well as invertebrates within it. They killed anything green that grew in the lakes and killed duck hunting for us at the same time. I see it coming back now though. Maybe they'll leave it after the hell people raised in Alabama after they did the same to Guntersville.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby EastTNkwacksmacker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:07 pm

East TN hunting aint that bad guys.Dont get me wrong it aint great either.And there is all kinds of places to hunt on Watauga lake.Plus you have Boone and South Holston Lake and rivers.What cabins you staying in?
Fowlfighter ProStaff, Lynch Mob Calls ProStaff, Rig'Em'Right FieldStaff
EastTNkwacksmacker
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:23 pm

EastTNkwacksmacker wrote:East TN hunting aint that bad guys.Dont get me wrong it aint great either.And there is all kinds of places to hunt on Watauga lake.Plus you have Boone and South Holston Lake and rivers.What cabins you staying in?

Na, it's pretty bad here. The farther east you go it gets better since you get some of the atlantic flyway coming in. Here is only good if you have somewhere with food. I've went to a management area in Blount Co. for my ornithology class a couple years ago and it was loaded with ducks because there was food. On the main rivers and lakes here, there isn't any and ducks don't stick around. They either go to ponds that have food or just pass though.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby EastTNkwacksmacker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Where you from in Knoxville Preacher? Ive got family in Roan County. Last year here it was bad. All local birds. But the year before last the storms on the east coast pushed a ton of new birds into the area. But last year the birds were staying off the river and ponds. The ponds were froze about all but a week or two at the begining. And two good spots on Watauga Lake were froze also, so trying to find them was very hard.
EastTNkwacksmacker
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:17 pm

EastTNkwacksmacker wrote:Where you from in Knoxville Preacher? Ive got family in Roan County. Last year here it was bad. All local birds. But the year before last the storms on the east coast pushed a ton of new birds into the area. But last year the birds were staying off the river and ponds. The ponds were froze about all but a week or two at the begining. And two good spots on Watauga Lake were froze also, so trying to find them was very hard.

I had the best year I ever have last year (granted it was only 8 birds for me personally) and saw more birds than usual actually. I'm from Farragut (unfortunately). I generally hunt Loudon, Melton Hill, and a couple other areas. It looks like our years are exactly opposite of each other. :lol3:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby EastTNkwacksmacker » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Sounds like it lol. We had a great early season last year as far as geese. Pulled 8 bands from them. So far this year we killed 4 woodies and 3 teal. Seen a ton more tho.So hopefully it will be a good year.
EastTNkwacksmacker
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:53 pm

I haven't gotten to get out yet. I've been busy with rugby and work. I probably won't be out till Thanksgiving at best, possibly not till winter break. Where'd your bands come from and when? I might have banded them. I did a ton of banding for the USDA for a couple years.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby EastTNkwacksmacker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:I haven't gotten to get out yet. I've been busy with rugby and work. I probably won't be out till Thanksgiving at best, possibly not till winter break. Where'd your bands come from and when? I might have banded them. I did a ton of banding for the USDA for a couple years.

The bands all came from two local places in Johnaon City.
EastTNkwacksmacker
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:08 am

EastTNkwacksmacker wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:I haven't gotten to get out yet. I've been busy with rugby and work. I probably won't be out till Thanksgiving at best, possibly not till winter break. Where'd your bands come from and when? I might have banded them. I did a ton of banding for the USDA for a couple years.

The bands all came from two local places in Johnaon City.

Nope, not me then. All the banding I did was around Oak Ridge and Alcoa.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby EastTNkwacksmacker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:21 pm

It would have been better if they wasnt local birds, but a band is still a band. A buddy of mine shot a banded mallard the last day of the season and it was from Manitoba.
EastTNkwacksmacker
hunter

Postby Duckedo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:49 pm

I live about an hour away from the lake but I have never hunted on watauga. I do hunt in Virginia along the Holston rivers. It is slow on most days and we mostly shoot wood duck. Most of the land along the rivers are private and most land owners are less than eager to let a stranger hunt. The good news is there is very little duck hunting in the area so the birds are very callable. If you are only going to have a few days to hunt for the year my advice would be to head to Reelfoot Lake and find a good guide. It's a long drive but you get a lot more shooting in.
Duckedo
hunter

Postby redfishman1 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:39 am

Y'all probably arent gonna believe me, but I have seen 1000+ days on Watauga and Boone. I don't live there anymore so I dont mind giving up the info :lol3: The key to sucess on these mountain lakes is weather...the best day to hunt is the 3nd day of a cold front...for example...monday- SW winds 50 degrees raining, tuesday 30 degrees NW winds snow, wednesday 20 degrees N winds clear and cold...the third day is the day you will actually get migratory ducks and they are tired and ready to set down. Dont get me wrong, these days are few and far between but they can be awesome...good luck!
redfishman1
hunter

Postby woodiewacker9 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Hey guys, i've hunted boone my whole life along with watauga and south holston lake. I've gone out on south holston river a few times, but not had to much luck. I was wondering if there might be a few spots on the river that you all might know about that are decent and away from most of the fisherman.

Thanks
woodiewacker9
Newb

Postby TnSmokey » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:27 pm

I have to agree with redfishman1. I have hunted South Holston, Boone, Patrick Henry, and South Holston river, and I have seen good numbers of birds on each. You have to hunt the weather as he stated, and if you do some scouting finding farm pond and a food source you can have some great hunts. Scouting and weather play a huge role here. Good luck to you all. I hope you all have a great season. :thumbsup:
TnSmokey
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting