Thinking about a west Tn blind lease

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

Thinking about a west Tn blind lease

Postby Duckedo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:54 am

I'm thinking about going after a duck hunting lease on or around Reelfoot Lake. The problem is I have no idea of how or where to start. I've been hunting waterfowl since 1983 but I have always booked a guided hunt so I have never been able to afford to go as often as I've wanted to. I already have almost everything I need except a good place to hunt. I would be grateful for any advice I could get.
Duckedo
hunter

Re: Thinking about a west Tn blind lease

Postby possumfoot » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:10 am

its too late this year to get anything that is worth having...

your best bet is to start looking in march and really get after it in april..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Duckedo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:34 pm

Yea I know it's way too late to do anything this year. I'm hunting with Allen Smith and Tommy Hogg this year. About how much am I looking at for a good lease around the lake. I want one for next year that I can hunt about 6-7people out of. I would prefer to be on the water but a pit would be ok if there were plenty of ducks.
Duckedo
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:06 pm

4k would be the low end for a decent pit... any blind on the lake that goes for less than 2500 would be a waist of time...

i would look for something in the 4-6 range if your wanting to kill ducks..

remember, you usually get what you pay for...

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Duckedo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Yep I would have to agree. I have hunted on the eastern shore, Ky lake, and Reelfoot. I like Reelfoot the best. The guys up in Md on the eastern shore don't like rednecks or hillbillies so have a hard time getting along with some of them. I just fit in a little bit better at Reelfoot. There seems to be a better bunch of people around the lake. If you would be willing to share any contact numbers for people that will have a lease open next year I would be grateful. We could probably work something out on giving you access to hunt it a little if you would be interested. If you want to share contact info just PM me with it.
Duckedo
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:47 pm

i'll keep an eye out for something good...

the likelyhood of getting in a good field is slim as they don't come up much... and it is almost the same for the lake... hope for a dry year and a few holes may be up next spring.. (2 bad years in a row)

have you ever though of putting a group together and going to the draw at reelfoot?? there are some pretty good blinds in it... and there will be a couple more next year...

as for access, thanks for the offer..

possumfoot
hunter

Postby Duckedo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:16 pm

Yep I'm planning on putting in on the draw next year. I have seven people that are going to go in with me. I'm just not sure where I should choose if one of us gets picked. I want to show up with about 15 people next August if I can. The problem is that it is a 9 hour drive for us so if I make a bad choice and pick a blind that needs a bunch of work or needs to be rebuilt it's going to be hard for me to get it finished up for the 3 day teal season. But one way or the other I will be somewhere around the lake with the old red leg in hand next season.
Duckedo
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:57 pm

we have a 5 day woodduck/teal.. though the teal are usually not here like they were this year...

and they have pics of blinds that are existing, a "no blind on site" and "rebuild" list... though sometimes they will put a rebuild up on the "huntable" board..

possumfoot
hunter

Postby Duckedo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:19 pm

I didn't know about the lists. That's typical of waterfowl hunting. You can do it for 25 years in the same area and every year you find out exactly how much you don't know. That's why I'm hooked it's never the same old stuff.
Duckedo
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:22 pm

well that partly true..

but after 20 years of hunting the same field, i'm starting to get the hang of it... but then again, last year made it look like i knew what i was doing.. :yes:

possumfoot
hunter

Postby Duckedo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Yep some years you can't do wrong and the next year you can buy a great week. Everybody is calling this year the year of the duck on the Mississippi flyway. What is your forecast for the year?
Duckedo
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:55 pm

if it stays dry, we should have another great year...

if it gets really wet, probably about average...

the thing about dry years is if you have water, you will kill more ducks than on wet years... if you have water on a dry year and also have food, well thats just money...

possumfoot
hunter

Postby Duckedo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Yea I can see that. I guess if you owned a bean field west of the lake that you could flood and drain when you wanted to you could be in the money every year.
Duckedo
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:23 pm

forget beans... i will never put beans in our field..

standing corn.. the more the better...

possumfoot
hunter

Postby Duckedo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:19 pm

So you think standing corn is better. I have hunted over cut corn but never standing corn. I will have to try that sometime. The best hunt I have ever been on was over flooded Japanese millet. It was great.
Duckedo
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:07 pm

corn is #3 on my list to kill ducks... location is #1 and water is #2..

possumfoot
hunter

Postby Duckedo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:54 pm

That makes since. To kill them you have to be where they are and to keep them in the area you have to have what they want.
Duckedo
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting