Choke and shot size

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

Choke and shot size

Postby brownlab » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:06 am

Heading up to the fly way this weekend and was wondering if i should put a full choke or mod on my winchester SX3 26". Coming from florida and normally i use mod choke with first shot being #6 followed by two #3's. Birds are smaller down here. I will be bringing both chokes with me, but just wanted some input. Thanks.
brownlab
hunter

Re: Choke and shot size

Postby TNmatt83 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:35 pm

I usually shoot a modified choke with #2s
Any day that starts with a cold boat ride is a good one
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:49 pm

Used to shoot a modified with 3's or 4's. This year I reluctantly switched to an Improved Cylinder. It's made all the difference in the world. For decoying birds, it can't be beat IMO. I shot a goose at 20 yards with Hevi-Shot #4's and it had 13 pellets in it's breast. A modified is too constricted for decoying birds. At 10 yards it does this:

Way too constricted for decoying birds. People say you can shoot a IC out to 40 yards. I don't know if you can or not. Most of my shots are inside 30 yds and the IC had improved my hit ratio dramatically.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WestTNducks » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:37 am

I only shoot extra full.. Bird can be anywhere from 10 to 60 yards, if I miss, it is ALWAYS my fault (usually improper form prior to the shot is to blame). But when I hit em, they hit the water every time. Rarely switch to IM in those smack daddy tight knit holes and when the wind is right to shoot em right of the end of your barrel
WestTNducks
hunter

Postby Ole Cypress » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:29 pm

brownlab wrote:Heading up to the fly way this weekend and was wondering if i should put a full choke or mod on my winchester SX3 26". Coming from florida and normally i use mod choke with first shot being #6 followed by two #3's. Birds are smaller down here. I will be bringing both chokes with me, but just wanted some input. Thanks.

really depends on what type of hunting you'll be doing. if you don't know. go with the Mod. its a safe bet.

i normally use Full myself, with 3's

Unless i'm in tight on em, the flip to the Mod.
Ole Cypress
hunter

Postby kharvey1999 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:23 pm

I hunt near the TN river and we have ducks work everywhere from 15 to 60 yards. I always shoot a full factory choke and federal speed shok 3 1/2 BB or BBB in my SXP I have no problem with it. If you know ur ducks are gonna be close like 30 in every time I would go to a modified just in case but I wouldn't try an imp cylinder cause no matter what range I always have cripples. Good luck

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
kharvey1999
Newb

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting