hows the reelfoot hunting

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

hows the reelfoot hunting

Postby scastle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:34 pm

ya got any ducks???/ seems nobody else does
scastle
hunter

Re: hows the reelfoot hunting

Postby possumfoot » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:58 pm

there are a few birds around.. seems like alot may have gone in search of the muddy water in the bottoms after this last rain.. they should be back soon... we have been killing several, but having to stick it out to do so..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby scastle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:46 pm

man you guys are quiet,what going on at reelfoot? hunting any better
scastle
hunter

Postby lesnic56 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:12 pm

Absolutely horrible!
Killed 571 off my lease last year, right now I'm sitting at 58.
lesnic56
hunter

Postby grizzlyman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:59 pm

Dad and a couple of buddies killed 47 there today
grizzlyman
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:10 pm

we have been doing pretty well..

up until monday.. things have gotten hit and miss since.. pretty much have a slow day, then a good day, then really slow, then really good, then decent.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:39 pm

I have a couple Reelfoot questions. I have been wanting to come down for a few years now and try the lake out. I have some business to take care of close to Reelfoot next week and thought now was as good of a time as ever to drag my dog and boat along. I could care less how many ducks your killing. In my experience just getting out in the boat and enjoying good company and relaxing is great. Killing ducks makes it better! Now onto my questions.

1. If what I am reading is correct, you are allowed to hunt a persons unoccupied blind...Correct? I have a blind here in Ohio and our rule basically states that you can set up against the blind just not in the blind. I DO NOT want to piss anyone off and want to respect what has been built because I know the time and effort that it takes to do so.

2. I have a 1448 Tracker Grizzly that I hunt out of here in Ohio, I mostly hunt Indian Lake (which is a shallow full of stumps muddy stinky lake.) I have a nice blind and a 25 HP Johnson. I know all lakes are different. Is this combo suitable for Reelfoot?

3. I will come down a day early and check the lake out if I decide to take this adventure, But in the event that I find a place to set the boat blind up, what are the distances that you need to be from an existing blind? I WILL NOT set up on top of someone, I hate when its done to me. I just like to know the regs before I do so. And I do not want to upset the locals.

4. I will be hunting during the week, Tuesday-Thursday most likely. I will assume that the lake is LESS busy during the week?

I hope you guys dont take this as a internet scouting attempt because its not. I am 8 Hrs away and just want to have the most beneficial trip possible. I dont care where the good spots are, or want to tag along on someones shirt tail. I just want to bring my dog down, spend some time in the boat and hopefully kill a few ducks.
t_baker
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:53 pm

1. yes
2. depends on where ya go (the lake is complex to say the least... 1448 is a pretty small boat..)
3. 200yards
4. yep

possumfoot
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:37 pm

possumfoot wrote:1. yes
2. depends on where ya go (the lake is complex to say the least... 1448 is a pretty small boat..)
3. 200yards
4. yep

Thank you!

From what I have been told/read the lake is shallow for the most part? Does it get rough? The only issue I have in my boat is big chop. Other wise it is a super stable boat.

Once again thank you for the quick answers. I think I am going to make the trip and see how it goes.
t_baker
hunter

Postby scastle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:38 am

look around on here ,there has been alot of your question asked by other people.the way i take it if you set up on or near somebody they get pretty upset,i had the same ideal as you.afterlooking around i was going to get a guide.good luck
scastle
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:47 pm

t_baker wrote:
3. 200yards
4. yep

Thank you!

From what I have been told/read the lake is shallow for the most part? Does it get rough? The only issue I have in my boat is big chop. Other wise it is a super stable boat.

Once again thank you for the quick answers. I think I am going to make the trip and see how it goes.

very very very rough... the lake is a killer.. even when the water is warm.. and you better know the refuge boundrys...

possumfoot
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:11 pm

possumfoot wrote:
t_baker wrote:
3. 200yards
4. yep

Thank you!

very very very rough... the lake is a killer.. even when the water is warm.. and you better know the refuge boundrys...

I actually just got off the phone with a old friend that lives not to far and hunts Reelfoot quite a bit. Sounds like he is going to take a couple days off and hunt with me. Makes me feel better having someone that knows the lake while I am there the first time. Showing up in May to fish is one thing on a lake your not familiar with. Being on it at o dark thirty is another.

Once again thank you, I was thinking today I could have called DNR and got the questions answered without bothering you guys. I truly appreciate the advice.
t_baker
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:16 pm

t_baker wrote:
possumfoot wrote:
t_baker wrote:
3. 200yards
4. yep

Thank you!

I actually just got off the phone with a old friend that lives not to far and hunts Reelfoot quite a bit. Sounds like he is going to take a couple days off and hunt with me. Makes me feel better having someone that knows the lake while I am there the first time. Showing up in May to fish is one thing on a lake your not familiar with. Being on it at o dark thirty is another.

Once again thank you, I was thinking today I could have called DNR and got the questions answered without bothering you guys. I truly appreciate the advice.

you would get bad advice... most of em know little to nothing about the lake... call reelfoot state park and ask to speak to a ranger or a seasonal.. (preferably one that duck hunts). 2 people died on the lake this summer...

possumfoot
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting