Mud motors

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

Mud motors

Postby Duckedo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Need some advice on mud motors. I got an 18 foot Jon boat I'm using and don't have any idea of how big of a motor I need or what the best kind to get would be.
Duckedo
hunter

Re: Mud motors

Postby drakedog2012 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:28 pm

i run a 1860 sea ark with a 36hp pro drive if your wanting to push a 18 ft boat decent look into pd or gator tail your not going to break any speed records but youll have a dependable motor
drakedog2012
hunter

Postby Duckedo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks, I will check that out
Duckedo
hunter

Postby Luladucks1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:34 pm

I run a go devil 35 and I have been very happy with it
Luladucks1
DHC Sponsor

Postby LNLWaterfowl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:16 pm

Need to check out dixie mud motors. There all aluminum so no rust, light weight fast and tough.
LNLWaterfowl
Newb

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:18 pm

[/attachment]
Boat.jpg
I've got a question - I am originally from Idaho, moved to Utah, and now moving to middle tennessee in February for a full-time job. My wife and I love the outdoors and waterfowl hunt all over the northwest. We hunt with a 16' aluminum lowe boat with an outboard short shaft motor. Are short shaft outboards okay for hunting most areas, or would you all suggest a mudd motor? If so, we need to sell our motor and get a new one before the move!

I have attached some photos of our recent trip to Canada, and my boat. Let me know what y'all think.
Attachments
canada, alberta.jpg
canada spike.jpg
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Postby Jcochran88 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Wack em', stack em', pack em' wrote:[/attachment]
Boat.jpg
I've got a question - I am originally from Idaho, moved to Utah, and now moving to middle tennessee in February for a full-time job. My wife and I love the outdoors and waterfowl hunt all over the northwest. We hunt with a 16' aluminum lowe boat with an outboard short shaft motor. Are short shaft outboards okay for hunting most areas, or would you all suggest a mudd motor? If so, we need to sell our motor and get a new one before the move!

I have attached some photos of our recent trip to Canada, and my boat. Let me know what y'all think.

Outboard will be fine that is all I have and have hunted 15 years in middle and west Tennessee.
Jcochran88
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Jcochran88 wrote:
Wack em', stack em', pack em' wrote:[/attachment]
Boat.jpg

Outboard will be fine that is all I have and have hunted 15 years in middle and west Tennessee.

mud motor will geet ya alot more places though.. expecially on dry years.. plus, you can run a pro-drive in timber.. aany motor will run in 3 feet of water.. an outboard can not run in 3in.. if you are gonna be in extreem NW tn, go pro-drive.. if not, you can get by with whatever...
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:02 pm

I appreciate the feedback. I am looking to put a 27-35hp mud motor on the boat. My wife and I will be moving to middle tn in February, and we are super excited. We have been researching the hunting - it was the first thing we did when we found out we were moving there - and have found the hunting interesting there. Lots of draw areas we have never been a part of before, leasing land, etc. Question: Are there many public access areas where you can hunt whenever and wherever you want? We are excited to get over there and participate in Ducks Unlimited as well. We are currently on the Utah Ducks Unlimited board, and have loved serving and saving for the ducks!
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:45 am

Wack em', stack em', pack em' wrote:I appreciate the feedback. I am looking to put a 27-35hp mud motor on the boat. My wife and I will be moving to middle tn in February, and we are super excited. We have been researching the hunting - it was the first thing we did when we found out we were moving there - and have found the hunting interesting there. Lots of draw areas we have never been a part of before, leasing land, etc. Question: Are there many public access areas where you can hunt whenever and wherever you want? We are excited to get over there and participate in Ducks Unlimited as well. We are currently on the Utah Ducks Unlimited board, and have loved serving and saving for the ducks!

mid tn.. be prepared to travel to hunt.. or be very frustrated..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting