shelby forest wma duck hunting

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, Itchy Coyote, duckbumm, duck slayR

shelby forest wma duck hunting

Postby cm2288 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:12 pm

has anyone hunted at the shelby forest wma? If so can you give me some info.
cm2288
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:16 pm

I have years ago when the water backs up in it. I have been down there last yeat and if you don't get in way before the sun comes up every on from Memphis will be there. I try to hunt it when there is a lot of water and the hunters are not sitting on top of each other.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Postby cm2288 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:30 pm

Can you tell me anything anout the land or where you hunted. I went there a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't have enough time to realy scout the land out. I am trying to find some decent public land to hunt, and my friend told me that shelby forest would be a good place to go. He said he saw around a hundred ducks.
cm2288
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:20 pm

I hunted there several times last year when I went to W Tn.

There was not much water there last year. Most of the hunting was going on at Eagle lake.
Flooded timber hunting that you have to use a boat to hunt.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Shelby Forest

Postby pearsonqb8 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:15 pm

Hey man I live on mud island in memphis and hunted Shelby Forest many times last season. As the previous post indicated You literally have to get out there before 2 AM to even have a spot to hunt. With the water level down there is actually only about 2-3 acres of huntable water on Eagle Lake. When you cram 10-15 groups in this space you can imagine the outcome. There were two groups literally set up within thirty yards of us every time we were out there except once. Also there is an old man who sleeps in the bed of his truck and when he sees your headlights he jumps in his canoe and gets out to the best spot so he can kill his one limit and then go home. My advice is to hunt Wolf River WMA in Fayette County, much larger area and had lots of birds on it last year.
pearsonqb8
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:06 pm

If you get out there & do your scouting you can find some good spots.
Me & my uncle had an awesome openning morning on the 2 day season last year & hunted this flooded timber spot. We had it all to our selves. I found it 2 days before the season started. Just got to get out there & scout.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Re: Shelby Forest

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:11 pm

pearsonqb8 wrote: Also there is an old man who sleeps in the bed of his truck and when he sees your headlights he jumps in his canoe and gets out to the best spot so he can kill his one limit and then go home. .

You are not kidding!

I hunted Eagle lake the last week of the season & the only day I beat him was when I got there at 1:30 am. I went ahead & got to my spot & was putting decoys out when he got to the put in area.

He could not believe I beat him :yes:

It was my last morning to hunt before heading back home & I wanted to be on the X.

People are set up 30 yrds apart too.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby cm2288 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:49 pm

has anyone done any scouting or know the conditions at shelby forest.
cm2288
hunter

Postby pearsonqb8 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:54 am

Water level is the lowest I have ever seen it. Eagle Lake is at least three feet below normal. There have been two huge Bald Eagles sitting over on Eagle Lake for about a week now and as you can imagine they have been keeping ducks off the lake pretty well, but I have seen several birds flying around the area. I think it will do decent on the opener, but no huge amount of birds or anything.
pearsonqb8
hunter

Postby B-ryan » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:42 am

I rode by the refuge the other day maybe seen maybe 250 ducks. Like the previous reply, the water is way down - also the lowest I have ever seen it. It doesn't look like the opener will be that good, maybe a few
woodducks killed thats about it.
B-ryan
Newb

Postby cm2288 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:59 pm

I went to scout around for places to duck hunt but didn't see any place that look like duck hunting area. I went through the main entrance, turned right going toward the river and drove to the trail off of the one way road. I didn't see anything. Can someone tell me how to get to the duck hunting area.
cm2288
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:19 am

Take N. Watkins out to fite rd. make a left when you come to the fork make the right on to Island Forty Rd. or go down to Benjestown Rd. If you miss the right on to Island Forty Rd. and find your self on Benjestown make a right on it. On Benjestown Rd. go 1 mile and make a right on W.Island Forty Rd. Go about 1 mile and the road will make a hard left but there should be a drit road with a gate and go down that. When you get to the end you are there.

Now that you are there is there any water any where down there?

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Postby cm2288 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:11 pm

thanks for the directions itchy!
cm2288
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:19 pm

I just came back from SF. and the water is way, way down. And for what I saw there is not much water once you get back to it. From the look form all the tracks them all must be setting on top of each other back in there.

So far I have not find any good spots with water and ducks.

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Postby cm2288 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:13 pm

Is it worth trying to hunt. And is Eagle lake refuge part of sf.
cm2288
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:54 am

Not at this time and Eagle lake refuge is a big NO NO for hunting. SF dose back up to it and I have seen ducks come in from there when it is real cold and SF has water but right now there are not many ducks any where down here.

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Postby cm2288 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:33 pm

I talked to one of my buddies and his group hunted at shelby forest wma this past week and they killed a good numeber of ducks and two honkers.
He knows the area real well and he says he has a real good hole there.
cm2288
hunter

Postby TennesseeNW » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:32 pm

Was he on the north or south end? I hunted it 2 weeks ago and 2 of us killed a limit. Many wood ducks and mallards. We also saw 2 gaint canadians.
TennesseeNW
hunter

Postby BESTES » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:52 pm

I did a quick walk in at the dead end, and jumped 6 ducks. It was about 3 pm on Sunday. No one was there?! I didn't have any gear to hunt. I was watching the Confederate Camp/Training thing that SCV were putting on.
Brian Estes

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am.
BESTES
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting