Freelancin'

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

Freelancin'

Postby DeadDuck » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:13 pm

Fella's,
Newbie here. New to Tennessee and never plan on leaving. Found a great job and a great place to live. Have already taken a nice deer with the bow. I was able to catch a great fly fishing weekend on the Hiwassee River in September when I took my wife backpacking at Reliance. After reviewing some of the posts in this chat room, it appears that everyone is in this great search for the almighty waterfowl together.
Anyways, the question is, is there any freelance boat blind hunting available here? I am in Nashvegas and I am willing to travel, camp out, blah, blah. 18 foot center console hunting cadillac with great killer weed infested pop up blind, heaters, 60hp Suzuki 4 stroke, 12 doz dekes (GHG Gads, mallards, divers, Canadians), mallard machine, mojos. What can I say. I love buyin' toys. I also have a nice layout boat that I hunt regularly when buds are not with me in "Swamp Thing" (the boat).
I have been up to Ballard County, Carlysle County, and Hickman Kentucky. All Main River (sucks) hunting or lease hunting there until the mighty river gets out, at which point I can go up and fight for places in the Hickman Bottoms above Bayou de Chien. So now I am looking back closer to home. Hickory, Percy Priest, all the way to ReelFoot or on the Tennessee. Are the WMA's about and all hunting around KY Lake and Paris Landing bling hopping only? Someone please help me out here?
I do not have much to offer in return. However, I am looking to make a few hunting pals. I have 1100 acres of primo hunting land in Carlysle Co Kentucky. 50% ag fields (corn/beans) and 50% hardwood bottoms with a nice farmhouse that we can use anytime. It is a family property / get away place that we have owned forever. I can guarantee bow hunts and Spring Turkey hunts anytime. We are overpopulated with both. However, I do not do much bowhunting once the ducks start a-flyin!! Anyways, throw me a bone here!! Thanks in advance and sorry this was so long winded.

DeadDuck
DeadDuck
hunter

Postby D'Burg Duck Smasher » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:55 pm

Whats goin on ? i was just on here readin your post. Ive been to nashville several times, its aright. i live about 30 minutes from reelfoot lake and about 15 minutes from the mississippi river. duck hunting is pretty good around here. do you have anywhere to go around there?
Don't cut em no slack
D'Burg Duck Smasher
hunter

Postby mcn22 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:58 pm

PM sent
mcn22
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:50 pm

I hunt most of the states and a few other. I hunt West TN. and Ar. but make a trip to the other side around the end of the year. I am retired and other that play games on the comp. I hunt and fish.

If you are going to be on this end of the state maybe we can get together. I have a 38' motor home that can our base camp.

Check out my web page www.itchyoutdoors.com and if you see something you like we can try it out.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Postby DeadDuck » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:51 am

D'Burg,
Nashville is a great place. Fortunately, it is reasonable close to everything. When it comes to hunting, no, there is no place here to hunt. Hickory and Percy Lakes are mediocre from what I hear and all draw blind jumping. However, I have no problem driving 3-4 hours to get to a good hunting hole. Waterfowling is more addictive that crack.

MCN22,
Got your message. I will reply later today and see if we can get together on a few things.

Itchy,
I love the website. Are the majority of the Cats coming out of the Mississippi, Tennessee, or the lake? I was on Reelfoot my first time every a few weeks ago for the early Gadwall massacre. I felt fortunate to find a friend of a friend that guides there. It seems that Reelfoot in its deepest spot in only 15-20 ft.
Anyway, I would love to come over and meet up with you sometime. Do you have a place where I could get a good shoot out of my layout boat? Also, back to my original post question, can you hunt out of a temporary blind on Reelfoot. It was very evident that the lake had it's own set of "homeboy" rules and that much of the lake is still considered to be private property. Any comments?

Thanks again all you fellas!! -DD
DeadDuck
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:57 am

Reelfoot is a world of it own. Yes you can find a hole that is 200 yards from any duck blink you can set up to hunt.

If you are on the lake and the sun is up and you find a blind with out anyone in it, it is your for the day. Just watch it they may come in later and well you know what can happen. But the law is on your side now getting off the lake and finding them good luck.

I hunt there and when I go I try to put in by the air port and go down the lake. I find me a hole now and then that works this time and you wont see a duck the next 2 or 3 time I get in it.

As for the lay out boat I am going to try a few spots just off the Mississippi river. Can't say for sure right now most of them are down about 3 ft. and some have no water in them.

As for the CATS I coverd most of the state to get them most are river cats. Watts bad is almost lake a river too if you get back from the damn.

My dad is from Delaware and he fishs about 120 days a year so when he comes down here he needs to fish. So each time I try and do something new. Next time we are going over to the red river in Ar. for some of that cold water fish. (brown, brook and rainbow)

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Postby DeadDuck » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:23 pm

Itchy,
Have you encounter any of the below dam sauger fishing. I have a friend here who swears by it. I heard the fish is as fine as crappie when it comes to table fair. I am looking forward to trying this out as I am certainly no stranger to striper fishing in the heavy currents below the dams. Any experience in this field? Let me know when you head out in the layouts. I'll head over and we can double ups on em'!!

Later,
DD
DeadDuck
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:45 pm

I hit the dam sauger fishing right after duck hunting.

As for the lag out boat that is all I have un till I go get my big bost from my son. One of them took it back to the other side of the state to hunt out of this year. And if the water dosen't come up all I would need is 18" boots.

When things start to happen over here I let you know.

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Postby D'Burg Duck Smasher » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:20 pm

We hunted saturday and sunday and not a whole lot going on. we have a blind in the notorious tigrett bottoms. Went friday afternoon and jumped about 150 out of our hole, but we must have done the job bc they didnt come back saturday morning. we killed 4 mallards,2 wood ducks, and 2 mergansers. if i had've known they were mergansers i wouldnt have wasted my shells on them. sunday we only killed 5, 3 woodies and 2 mallards. i am hoping this cold front will push a bunch down here. reelfoot smashed em during the 1st weekend they opened. i heard alot of reports of 30, 40, and 50 ducks a day....
Don't cut em no slack
D'Burg Duck Smasher
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting