wanting to buy a boat

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

wanting to buy a boat

Postby nashvilleduckslayer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:29 pm

does anybody have or know somebody or place were i can find a cheap duck hunig boat
nashvilleduckslayer
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:49 am

Well what I did was to go on line and check the want adds for all the big papers for about 400 mile around me. I found my by in Nashville. It is a 16' with a 40h outboard and trailer for $800. What they did was they took out most of the decking and there were no seats in it so if you came along and was going to use it for fishing you need to replace it all. But what I saw was a lot more room in the bottom of the boat for all my duck hunting junk. I did have to drive 300 mile one way but I got it cheap.

My lot out boat I had to drive all the way down to Greenville Ms. but when you save $600 one the cost the drive wasn't that bad.

I drove all the way to Delaware to look at a boat this year but was not all that they said it was and still looked around for a boat I wanted. I saw a few nice one but done that I want to put out the cash for. I know that some day some I will find the right boat for what I want to spend and I will get it.

What I am trying to say don't buy the first boat you come across shop around and know what you want to do with it and how you want it set up.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

boat

Postby nashvilleduckslayer » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:49 am

i found one for about 400 dollars but im not sure if i want it . it is a very old v hull 14ft aluminum boat with a very old 25 johnson that will not start . it comes with a trolling motor and trailer . the man that wants to sell it does not know what year the boat and motor is but the motor is one of those big bulky johnson that were painted solid white.
nashvilleduckslayer
hunter

boat

Postby nashvilleduckslayer » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:41 pm

the boat and motor i beleive is a 64 or a 74not really sure
nashvilleduckslayer
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:00 am

I don't care if it was $200. If it is not what you want keep looking. The happiest 2 day of a boat owner is the first day you get it and the day you sell it. Once you hook it to the truck you are stuck with it so make sure it is what you want.

As most V hulls go they are deep sides you can stack a lot of junk in them. But how much room is in the floor in the V. Will it sit down more in the water? If so that mean you will get a wetter getting in and out along the bank.

A flat bottom the same size will sit higher in the water and needs less to get in closer to the bank.

Make sure it is what you want. The boat you want is out there you just have not found it yet.

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

boat

Postby nashvilleduckslayer » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:48 pm

thanks. i sometimes get excited about getting something that ill jump at the first thing i see.
nashvilleduckslayer
hunter

Postby mollyworker » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:17 pm

Try craiglist. They have some good values on occasion. :thumbsup:
mollyworker
hunter

Postby nashvilleduckslayer » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:27 pm

thanks molley, just bought one today from a guy on graigslist
nashvilleduckslayer
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:56 pm

Well tell us about your new boat.

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Postby nashvilleduckslayer » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:38 pm

it was just what i wanted junk! i paid 200 dollars for it. it came with a 1962 johnson outboard. costing me 60 bucks to get itfixed . it is in the shop now. the boat is a 14.5 ft flat bottom jon boat . the transom is rotted. and so are the bunks on the trailer. . but it was just what i wanted something cheap that i could fix up. i am going to replace the transom with 3/4 in plywood and i am going to fiberglass the new wood so it wont rot and i am going to get one of those do it yourself camoflauge kit from bass pro this weekend and paint it then i will try to post som pics. it also came with a 36 lb thrust minnkota and trailer
nashvilleduckslayer
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:07 pm

There it didn't take all that long and as you say it was just what you wanted.

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Postby mcn22 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:57 pm

Any pics yet? Let see what she looks like. :thumbsup:
mcn22
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting