Mississippi River...

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

Mississippi River...

Postby TNhunter611 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:01 pm

So I will be moving to the lower Miss. River in TN area. Hows the hunting on the River and can I just hunt the river anywhere as long as im away from city limits and houses? how does this work. and I cant find any wma's online for waterfowl hunting. any help would be greatly appreciated.
2013-2014 season
10 BWT
4 GWT
8 Widgeon
4 Shovelers
4 Pintails
2 Gadwall
1 Ringed neck
TNhunter611
hunter

Re: Mississippi River...

Postby southern_mallards » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:37 pm

To my knowledge as long as you're not on anyone's property and not on the Arkansas side. You can hunt any sand bar or island you come across.
southern_mallards
hunter

Postby Shell Shocked » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:51 am

http://www.tn.gov/twra/waterfowl.html

Book mark the above link. They are good about having on line resources as well as WMA maps, rules and regs.

Couple of key points when hunting the river;
1) always have a healthy dose of fear and respect for the river. Once you lose that, you won't be far behind!
2) Rising river means copious amounts of debris. Big stuff like entire trees, not your usual plastic bottles and crap.
3) There are many wing damns on the river. Know where they are in your area.
4) On your first several trips out hunting in a new area, go out at first light.

I know this was not what you are looking for but just thought I'd share. If you need anything specific PM me and I'll share what I can. Most of the river is open to hunting as well as Missourri and Arkansas. Just know the rules.
Shell Shocked
hunter

Postby curtdawg88 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:32 am

When hunting public rivers (and other public waters with varying water levels) it's very important to know where the "river" stops and private property begins. Just because you can access it from the river doesn't mean its public. USGS topo maps are very useful in determining this. Google Earth Pro (have to purchase the license) also has property lines for most areas if you zoom in far enough. The license is about $300 but could save you a trespassing ticket.
If guns kill people, how does anyone make it out of a gun show alive?
curtdawg88
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:25 pm

BOOM!!! This place is loaded!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting