No early state hunt

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

No early state hunt

Postby TennesseeNW » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:01 am

TWRA website
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/news/0809waterfowl.html
August 23, 2008

PICKWICK DAM, Tenn. --- Tennessee’s 2008-09 waterfowl hunting seasons were established by the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission during its August meeting at Pickwick Landing State Park on Thursday, August 21, 2008. The TWRC serves as the governing body for the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.

TWRC sets the state’s waterfowl seasons each year within the framework determined by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Tennessee has selected the option of a 59-day duck season in the Statewide Zone for 2008-09. The Reelfoot Duck Zone will have a 60-day season.

The statewide duck season will be Nov. 28, 2008 through Jan. 25, 2009. There will be no split in the Statewide Zone. In the Reelfoot Duck Zone, the dates for 2008-09 are Nov. 15-16 and Nov.29-Jan. 25.

The youth waterfowl season will also be similar to last year with only a calendar shift. For youth ages 6-15, the Statewide Zone is Jan.31-Feb 1, 2009 while the Reelfoot Zone will be Feb. 7-8, 2009.

TWRC approved the daily bag limit of six ducks that may include no more than four mallards (no more than one female), three wood ducks, two redheads, and one black duck, pintail, and scaup. The daily bag limit of merganser is five, only two of which can be hooded mergansers.

The major changes in bag limits from last year include: the wood duck bag limit has increased from two to three ducks per day; scaup bag limits have been reduced to one per day; the hen mallard bag limit has been reduced to one per day; and canvasback season will be closed this year;
Federal frameworks for Canada goose season were extended in the Kentucky Lake Canada Goose Zone and will allow 72 days of hunting across the state. Tennessee will effectively have only two functional Canada goose zones in the Statewide Zone and the Northwest Zone.
The Statewide Zone dates for Canada goose are Oct. 4-Oct. 11 and Nov. 28-Jan. 30. The Northwest Zone dates are Nov. 15-16 and Nov. 29-Feb. 8.
Can't kill em on the couch.
TennesseeNW
hunter

Postby TennesseeNW » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:02 am

Can I get an explaination?
TennesseeNW
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:04 pm

On what :huh:
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:06 pm

I do like the increase on woodys :thumbsup:
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby TennesseeNW » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:51 am

Uncle Jesse wrote:On what :huh:

There's no early two day hunt.
TennesseeNW
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:59 pm

Wait, there isn't a early goose season? :huh: If so then I'm going to be real p-oed. I read in the paper today that they decreased the hen mallard limit to one. The TWRA and USDA said that they recommended 2. Why do we have biologists if the TWRC is just going to say what they want? :no: In my opinion the TWRC needs to be a done deal, get rid of them, we don't need them. Let the TWRA set seasons and regs. They do the reasearch and know what's best. They should be making the laws. I'll be sending an angry email to TWRC over the hen mallard deal one of these days. In my opinion they just said the public's opinon didn't matter either. Did anyone else know the hen mallard limit was up for debate? Cause I sure as heck didn't.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Bob got in their *** didin't he.........

Postby GunNRun » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:40 pm

This guy looks familiar
GunNRun
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Where you from gunnrun? That pic was in my paper today.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TennesseeNW » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:06 am

No the early goose starts on opening day of dove season i do believe. I'm saying they took away the early two day weekend duck season for the state. It's usually after the two day early Reelfoot Season.
TennesseeNW
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:41 am

Wait, so does Woodie season still start on the 13th? I'm a bit confused right now. :huh:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Uncle Jesse » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:31 am

Preacher1011 wrote:Wait, so does Woodie season still start on the 13th? I'm a bit confused right now. :huh:

Yes it does.

TnNW, I see what you are saying. Usually season opens the last weekend in November, but is closed until the next weekend. I don't like when they take days off the end of season and tack them on at the beginning.

I remember one year season was to open in the middle of november but they changed it a couple weeks before.

Edit: I just noticed season opens on a Friday.
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby Bio » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:31 am

Because of the way that the calendar falls this year, TWRC had to make a decision whether to keep the split format that we have had in the past with a two day teaser season on the weekend of the 15th of november OR to have a 59 day straight season. The weekend of the 22 was not an option because that is the rifle opener of deer season. ...not enough manpower to work both facets. SO.....TWRC chose to go with a 59 day season beginning the day after thanksgiving.

Why you should be upset.... One day seems like something you can write off of your duck hunting year with no big problem. If you look at the situation, they didn't take away one day....they took away one WEEKEND. It has been 10 weekend in the past, but now we working stiffs are down to 9.

AS far as the hen limit goes, its rediculous I and I would guess it to be no more than politics. One of the commissioners decided that he knows more than all the waterfowl biologists and pushed it though. I heard one person comment thatTN is the laughing stock of the flyway right now. ...pretty good description if you ask me.
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those that can do nothing for him.
Bio
hunter

Postby GunNRun » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:57 pm

Hey Preach.......

I'm up here in Jeff City...till hunting season......then I'm all over the US...and Canada.....and then wherever after that.
GunNRun
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:23 pm

Ah, I see. I thought you might be out of Knoxville since that picture was in the paper.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GunNRun » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:56 pm

I was told I clean up nice but -- that'll be about 7 months from now......

:yes:

Holler at me sometime, preach, we'll go out and smack a few.
GunNRun
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:03 am

Didn't know that was you. Well at least you know you made the papers. I'd like to come, but me being a college student and all I have to stick fairly close to home.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby blackpowder » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:40 am

I know having a split season, is like having two opening weekends and really helped the numbers in Camden Bottoms.

_______
Jeff
blackpowder
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting