West TN WMA's(memphis area)

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

West TN WMA's(memphis area)

Postby PharmD10 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:16 pm

Anyone every hunted or heard of anyone hunting John Tully WMA, Cold Creek WMA(both in Lauderdale Co.), or Wolf River WMA(Fayette Co.)?? I live in Memphis and was just curious about hunting them, although probably never will.
PharmD10
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:01 am

John Tully is good if the water is in there. The last few years id has been dry. You have to get back off the road to hunt and then you have to put up with the deer hunters. There is a camp there but you need to bring every thing you need with you becuse it is just a dirt parking lot.

Cold Creek you will need a boat. You have to run out the creek to get to the lake and then once out there you need to find some where that someone is not hunting. You can go up the road and find a small spot to lunch a boat but you need to have a small boat ot some water to do this becuse the bank gose out before it drops off good.

Wolf river is about the same you need a boat or a long walk to find a hole to hunt.

If we have water in any of the big hole like these there is water every where. That means that there is water all over and the duck are far and few.

If there is little water and you can find it the duck should be there. We need the right water level and it to be colf for a long time and the duck will be here but if it is dry and warm you are better to go fishing., if you dont go north of the state.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Re: West TN WMA's(memphis area)

Postby gatorman7 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:57 am

Don't waste your time in fayette at the WMA. Its way too dry and I have not seen a duck or any geese in months.
gatorman7
Newb

Postby airborneduckhunter » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:30 am

There is a refuge near Shelby Forest that I heard always has duck hunters in it. I cannot remember the name as it has been several years since I was in the area.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby c-dem-wangs » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:48 am

airborneduckhunter wrote:There is a refuge near Shelby Forest that I heard always has duck hunters in it. I cannot remember the name as it has been several years since I was in the area.

You may be talking about Anderson Tulley.
I'm trying to think but nuttins happenin......nyuk-nyuk-nyuk
Curly Howard

I had the right to remain silent... Just not the ability.
Ron White
c-dem-wangs
hunter

Postby cory d » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:53 pm

ther is alot of good public hunting aroun west tn even if u dont have a boat twra has a listing of all of them lower hatchie and upper hatchie are the best for hunting on budget and really simple
cory d
Newb

Postby TNquacker » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Don't know about now, but as far as the little boat ramps on the hatchie and forked deer, the local boys that hunt alot of those areas don't care for ppl from outside of tipton county. They have been known in the past to express thier dislike by ruining your tires or atleast letting the air out of them of maybe worse. Not trying to discourage you from trying any areas but giving you a heads up.
There is a place to hunt in Shelby Forrest, its called Eagle Lake. I hunted there years ago when it wasn't well known, then we started hammering the ducks in there. My group and two other groups were all that hunted in there. The hunting was insain, limits in no more than 15 to 30 minutes everytime we went, but someone spilled the beans and it got stupid. Lost it one day and cussed out all the greedy yahoos who were skybusting and havent been back since.
TNquacker
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:13 am

T-County, full of high class. I'm actually trying to move up there. Did a dove hunt up there a year or two ago on a public field. It was horrible. Mouth breathing morons clad in NASCAR jackets with Wal-mart Mossbergs and Remingtons busting dove over the bean field where they'd never be found. The redeeming part was where someone from Illinois that'd come down for some reason or another almost got in a fight with them.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby Team Turpin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:19 am

Grew up around that place. Used to be Anderson Tully till they sold it off and TWRA now owns it out right instead of ANderson Tully Lumber Co. out of Mississippi. They renamed it John Tully years ago. Used to be Upper Tully to but its now Chickasaw NWR up near Nankipoo bottoms and Wardlows. Forked Deer runs thru it. You can duck hunt it in certain spots.

If the river gets in Tully you will have ducks. If not it's so so depending on fronts.

Eagle Lake is the refuge there by Shelby Forest. You can turkey and deer hunt it but no duck hunting. You can hunt the Forest but limited places there and it gets hit hard by locals.

I know a guy who is on a Arkansas lease with me that hunts Wolf River but not the WMA there near Collierville and has some good shoots a few times now and then but nothing spectacular.
Duck hunting is perilous.......especially for the duck.
Walter Cronkite
Team Turpin
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:33 pm

WTN10 wrote:T-County, full of high class. I'm actually trying to move up there. Did a dove hunt up there a year or two ago on a public field. It was horrible. Mouth breathing morons clad in NASCAR jackets with Wal-mart Mossbergs and Remingtons busting dove over the bean field where they'd never be found. The redeeming part was where someone from Illinois that'd come down for some reason or another almost got in a fight with them.

Yes t county is full of them. But there's also the good people as well.

Back to the topic at hand, I do a 95% of my hunting at cold creek, and it's usually quite packed. Also, eagle lake is always slammed.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting