Reservoir Hunting

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, Itchy Coyote, duckbumm, duck slayR

Reservoir Hunting

Postby Lundy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:53 pm

I aint used to hunting in area like this and I can't figure out these birds. Last year I went with big spreads and little, tight and loose, went all over the different public areas around Middle TN and couldn't get but a few birds in the gas chamber. Is there any tips that could get my dog retrieving more down here. If I don't kill more birds this year my chessie is gonna go on strike. Are any of the fields around here any good or is it just the lack of birds in general?

Appreciate it.
Take care of your feet!
Lundy
hunter

Postby mollyworker » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:01 am

SCOUTING! Be where the birds want to be. Most of the lake birds fly off the lake to feed and return when they are full. They are looking for a quiet, safe place to loaf and rest.Unless you are at that place, no ducks except a few jr's etc that don't know where to go. I'd start up in the west and east forks of the Stones River (JPP)near some of the TWRA sharecropper planted corn and bean fields and see where the birds go when they leave the fields. Unit III at Old Hickory used to be pretty good but there are few row cropping farmers any more so there is little or no food. Good Luck.
mollyworker
hunter

Postby Lundy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:21 am

When I look at the stones river by google earth I see that there are fields there by the WMA areas. Can those fields be hunted without having to check in anywhere? I can't info anywhere about mandatory check in at JPP WMA. I know that by looking that looks like the best area to hunt. Even if I was set up in the water by some of those fields.
Take care of your feet!
Lundy
hunter

Postby mollyworker » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:59 pm

Lundy wrote:When I look at the stones river by google earth I see that there are fields there by the WMA areas. Can those fields be hunted without having to check in anywhere? I can't info anywhere about mandatory check in at JPP WMA. I know that by looking that looks like the best area to hunt. Even if I was set up in the water by some of those fields.

No checkin required. BE CAREFUL...some of those fields are in Unit 1 which is off limits to adult hunters.They are around the Smyrna Airport. Go to TWRA web site and pull up a WMA map for the area. Good Luck
mollyworker
hunter

Postby duck_slayin_101 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:15 pm

season is only three days away but if you are in the middle tennessee area if you want i live in middle tn we can get together and gets some greenheads in the water for your chessie
duck_slayin_101
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting