Cross Creeks NWR - Stewart Co.

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

Cross Creeks NWR - Stewart Co.

Postby mox » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:35 pm

I'm a transplant from Western KY, but live in Clarksville at the time.
I've been chompin' at the bit to find a refuge around here to watch waterfowl and possibly hunt.
I drove to Cross Creeks NWR today and I'll have to say I was impressed by the afternoon flight. I didn't expect much because I didn't see much food (saw several corn fields, none w/much acreage though and mostly lying beside a road), only water in the area. I saw lots of geese, big and little ducks in flight, a several woodies, teal, wigeon, gadwall, mallards, canadas on water.
Anybody have any info on Cross Creeks? Is there any public hunting in the area? Any legitimate guides? I've got all the necessary gear, I'd just rather hunt locally than drive back to KY and lug all my gear around.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby mox » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Went back again today (to the south end this time) and the birds were really ridin' that wind. Around 4:45 pm, there were thousands coming down low for a place to stop for the night. Noticed lots of gadwall, mallard and teal again today. Also saw lots of geese in the fields feeding.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby mollyworker » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:49 am

There was a yearly blind drawing for days in blinds on Cross Creeks years ago. I think that has stopped. Barkley WMA Unit I is just upsteam. I THINK the Cumberland river is open to hunting from temporary blinds. Also in Barkley (outside of Unit I) hunting is allowed from temporaty blinds. Berkley Unit I has some temporary stakes. See the TWRA web site for duck blindmaps and wmamaps.
mollyworker
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting