Know your damn target

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, Itchy Coyote, duckbumm, duck slayR

Know your damn target

Postby TennesseeNW » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:19 pm

By: From staff reports

Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 11:31 am

The Messenger 11.17.08

From staff reports
An investigation of the Saturday afternoon shooting of a former Obion County resident at Reelfoot Lake is under way by multiple agencies.
Obion County Sheriff Jerry Vastbinder said Sunday that Paris resident John Burnett, a Union City native, was severely wounded by a round fired from a high-powered rifle that hit below his left elbow before entering his abdomen.
The incident occurred about 2 p.m. Saturday in a forested area of Reelfoot National Wildlife Refuge near Walnut Log.
The unarmed Burnett — accompanied by his nephew, Luke Burnett, and friends Blake Turner, Chris Fisk and a dog — was on his way to check on a duck blind they were rebuilding when they heard the rifle shot ring out.
Burnett cried out, “I’ve been hit,” according to reports from the family, and the others began waving their arms and screaming for the shooter to stop shooting.
Afterward, Luke Burnett asked for a belt from one of the others and told them to go back to the house trailer at Walnut Log and call 911 for help. He wrapped his uncle’s arm in a tourniquet and assisted him — sometimes dragged him — back to the trailer.
When they arrived at the trailer, they loaded him in a vehicle and, while another nephew (Ben Burnett) drove, Luke Burnett helped his uncle keep his arm above his head and kept pressure on the wounds. They raced toward Union City, where they eventually met the ambulance en route to the lake. During the ride, they tried to keep their uncle alert and said he remained conscious, for the most part.
After arriving in Union City, the 44-year-old Burnett was airlifted to Regional Medical Center (The Med) in Memphis, where he underwent several hours of surgery that required 30 units of blood.
Wynn Burnett of Union City said his brother is doing better today but remains in the critical care unit at The Med.
“He’s got some movement in his arm now,” he said, noting the rifle shot blew out eight inches of artery in his left arm. “The doctors had to take an artery from his leg to put in his arm. It shattered the bones and artery below his elbow and went on into his stomach.”
He added that his brother was to undergo additional surgery on his abdomen this morning.
He also credited the quick action of his nephews and other young men for saving his brother’s life.
“If they had delayed any part of that — the tourniquet, the 911 call or driving him toward town — he probably would have bled to death,” he said. “They saved his life.”
He added that, so far, his brother’s only communication has been writing notes. “He wanted to know if they (the authorities) have found out who shot him and why there was duck hunting and deer hunting on the same day,” Wynn Burnett said. “He’s pretty confused by it all.”
The Obion County sheriff said the investigation is ongoing.
“Right now, we don’t have the identification of the shooter,” Vastbinder said. “We’re trying to run down leads.”
Early Sunday, agents of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, the sheriff’s department, Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and Federal Bureau of Investigation were at the lake canvassing duck hunters for information.
“The shot definitely came from the woods,” Vastbinder said. “The Tennessee section of the wildlife refuge had an open deer hunt that started Saturday. The federal portion was closed to deer hunting. Also, Saturday was opening day of the first duck season on the lake.”
Vastbinder said he’s convinced the shooter was “definitely a deer hunter.” He urged anyone with information about the shooting to call the sheriff’s department at 885-5832. Anonymous tips may be reported to Crime Stoppers at 885-TIPS (885-8477).
Sheriff’s department Chief Deputy Kent Treece told The Messenger today that anyone who was in the area Saturday and who may have seen or heard anything — no matter how insignificant they feel it may be — is asked to call the sheriff’s department or one of the other investigating agencies.
Burnett is the son of Peggy Burnett of Union City and the late Bill Burnett.
Can't kill em on the couch.
TennesseeNW
hunter

Postby Ramsey84 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:27 pm

Holy Crap :eek: that's scary. That is one reason that I am always extra careful on public land this time of the year, too many idiots running around in the woods with a gun.
Ramsey84
hunter

Postby mollyworker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:46 pm

And TWRA does not understand why I, for one, complain year after year about deer seaon being open from the last Saturday in Septemebr until early January giving small game hunters NO chance to hunt safely until the small game is depleted late in the season by weather!
mollyworker
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:34 pm

thats pitiful, how can u mistake a person for a deer?
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:03 am

cuppedup50 wrote:thats pitiful, how can u mistake a person for a deer?

Sheesh, they sound just alike running through the woods. :rolleyes: Makes perfect sense right? I heard something, lets blast it. It doesn't suprise me the shooter ran off either. This is what gives hunters a bad rap. I'll bet anything the guy didn't have a license, etc, etc. :no:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cuppedup50 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:23 am

yea probably...i hope they find him and put it on him.
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:14 am

Of coarse it's possible that it was an accident. I'm somewhat against rifles on public land anyway.

About 10 years ago I was hunting my normal spot on opening weekend. It is a large field with about 150 acres of timber on one side. I always set up in the field and shoot toward the woods. I shot at a buck with my 30-06 and missed but my gun jammed (first time ever). By the time I got it fixed he was gone. Being somewhat mad I sat there till after dark when I see a security light come on in the direction I was shooting. After walking over I find that 2 house trailers had been moved into the woods over the summer.

I thank God for causing my rifle to jam. Had I shot again and missed I could have shot through that house. I no longer use long range guns period.
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby TennesseeNW » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:58 pm

Uncle Jesse wrote:Of coarse it's possible that it was an accident. I'm somewhat against rifles on public land anyway.

About 10 years ago I was hunting my normal spot on opening weekend. It is a large field with about 150 acres of timber on one side. I always set up in the field and shoot toward the woods. I shot at a buck with my 30-06 and missed but my gun jammed (first time ever). By the time I got it fixed he was gone. Being somewhat mad I sat there till after dark when I see a security light come on in the direction I was shooting. After walking over I find that 2 house trailers had been moved into the woods over the summer.

I thank God for causing my rifle to jam. Had I shot again and missed I could have shot through that house. I no longer use long range guns period.

I'm sure it was an accident. Some ass shooting at something moving through the woods without knowing what it was though.
TennesseeNW
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:56 am

Yeah it makes my skin crawl when I hear somebody say they took a "sound shot".
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby BlueGooseTN » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:26 pm

Thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family.
WPS!
BlueGooseTN
hunter

Postby TennesseeNW » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:10 am

Yes, John Burnett passed this moring in Memphis. He will be greatly missed.
TennesseeNW
hunter

Postby RGR-MARK-PFDR » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:27 am

Man... I hope they get that MF'er... Im sorry to hear that
Benelli SBE H&K - Kicks Chokes
RGR-MARK-PFDR
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:13 pm

prayers sent to the family.
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby TennesseeNW » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:08 pm

He turned himself in.
TennesseeNW
hunter

Postby vmivol » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:24 pm

Spoke with my Aunt up at Hornbeak about this. Two wrongs behind this story. The Burnetts were walking in and not wearing anything orange. I thought just about everybody in Union City owns something orange. I guess the water levels on the Lake were a factor here. It was muzzleloader only, and the guy who killed him was using a high power rifle.
vmivol
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting