Melton Hill Lake

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, Itchy Coyote, duckbumm, duck slayR

Melton Hill Lake

Postby BRCPres » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Does anyone know the regulations for hunting TVA land on Melton Hill lake? For example, I know you have to have a permit to hunt deer, but can you walk onto Oak Ridge WMA with the intent to hunt ducks? Or are these two different situations all together?
BRCPres
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:37 pm

Hey BRC, I hunt out that way myself and intern with the TWRA agents in charge of Oak Ridge WMA. The only days you are allowed on land is during early goose season on a few select weekends. You can however throw on some waders and stand on the bank. Iffen you want to meet up and go for a hunt sometime let me know. I've got an area I'm planning on giving a try on Monday. Haven't been there, but it looks like a great spot. Let me know what you wanna do. :thumbsup: As for TVA land you can do whatever you want. I hunt some TVA land there and you can setup right on the bank.

We can hook up next year for the first weekend of the goose hunt. After that they all head for the parks. I tried hunting them the second weekend and came up empty handed. After that we can hit it up for early woodie season. Me and my buddy saw a ton of woodies and I'll need a new hunting partner as he's going in the Navy in June, and my brother is usually busy with JROTC on the weekends. If you're down this way tomorrow evening I'll be in the archery department at Gander Mountain (I could also be in firearms or fishing too, just hit the orange button on the archery counter and I'll head over). If not I work sunday from 10-7. We'll get something going if you want. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BRCPres » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:51 pm

Hey Preacher: Thanks for the info. Mighty nice of you.

Sounds great. Do you walk in with waders or what? I live in Powell so it's not but a few minutes from my house. It's tough finding good hunting on this side of the state, being so far from the flyway.

Funny, I almost went to Gander today. I had lunch at Beef O'Brady's and thought about going there, but my buddy had to get back. I have a funny feeling we may have met earlier this year. Do you remember a guy (me) coming in to Gander wanting to buy a set of GHG Gadwall dekes? Someone from the archery section tried to help me. Even told me he had a wedding to go to that weekend. Was that you?

I've been hunting in central and So. IL this season. I also hunt up at Watts bar, but haven't had much sucess up there. Not really in the right spot but it is private land. Bob
BRCPres
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:40 am

That wasn't me with the wedding, it was most likely Kyle or J (Justin). I'm sure I've seen you in there. If you wanna stop by tomorrow or sunday I'll be there and we can get something set up. Do you have any goose decoys? The TVA land I hunt gets a bunch of geese flying over, but the last two times I've only seen one duck. The new place I'm going should be pretty good though, from what a buddy of mine told me there are a bunch of permanent blinds there people have set up. Anywho, let me know what you want to do and we'll try to work something out. I just have a canoe right now (the boat registration expired and have to get it redone next check) so river travel will be limited. I usually boat in because I don't have a dog and have to get my birds.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Melton

Postby BRCPres » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:37 am

Preacher - as luck would have it, I now have to go to Atlanta on Monday to visit a customer. I'll need to try for a raincheck.

Be on the lookout for a PM from me.
BRCPres
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting