Duck Hunting Forum banner

Moving to Tennessee

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  TNmatt83 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Im knew to this site and i actually found it doing some research on hunting Tennessee. My girl and i are looking to make a move from Rhode Island down to Tennessee this summer. I do a ton of hunting up here and am really excited about the opportunity to move down and hunt a different part of the country.

The only hold up at the moment is the job market for me, which i am hoping will break in the next couple of months. We are looking to settle inbetween nashville and crossville where i have some family.

I was wondering if any of you guys have any advice on how to go about developing some new spots, along with any info on that area.

Thanks

Sammy

#3 ·
What kind of hunting do you like? Do you like more of a city life or country? Crossville will offer you both, but duck hunting there isn't too good. Nashville will have better duck hunting than anywhere else since it's closer to west TN. I like Crossville a lot, it has almost a mystical feeling to it. Once you live there you don't want to leave. I'd love to have a place up there, and it's rare when my granddad doesn't talk about moving back.

#4 ·
From what ive been reading up on you guys hit the nail on the head about the duck hunting being not so good over in the crossville reagion.

Preacher, i do a ton of whitetail hunting with the bow up here in RI. We have a lot of deer for a small state and our bag limit is pretty decent. I mostly bow hunt for i get more of a thrill shootem them real close. I also do a trip to canada for bear with the bow every year which is a nice break from the grind of being up this way. I save my gun hunting mostly for the ducks and geese. We had a decent morning pounding the sea birds. Shot 4 common golden eyes, 1 common merganser and 8 buffleheads. Goin out for the last morning here tomorrow. This time of year all the fresh water is frozen so we hit the surf real hard. We get a great mix of birds that come down from maine. I also have a year old beagle that i like to let run through the fields up here to see what he pushes up. He mostly works pheasant due to the fact that we dont do much rabbit up here and he trains with the Labs and the pointers my brother and his buddy work.

As far as living i grew up in the rural part of the state in the woods. I'd rather drive to the city for work than live in it. Not much for the fast pace scene. I like to come home to some peace and quiet. I have a marketing degree that i finished getting 3 years back. Its tough finding decent work up here. I work for my old man at the moment but really need a change. Im 26 and my girl is 23 so we figure if we want to try and do it now is the time. My cousin lives out in crossville thats the only reason we kinda picked the area but we dont mind finding places where the hunting is better.

Thanks for the response and i appreciate the insight.

We are actually flying into nashville for a week in april to do some exploring to find a place to rent and all the fun stuff.

sammy

#5 ·
So you're wanting to stick to Nashville then? If you like deer hunting get in a county in Unit L. Basically if you're west of Cumberland county you should be fine. VERY liberal limits on deer there. You can kill 3 does per day during every season out there. I have a lease in Macon County (I didn't get to go) and there are TONS of deer and turkey out there. I've also hunted deer in Smith county and there wasn't a time I went out there that I didn't see deer. If you're in Nashville, then you'd be pretty close to a decent traveling distance to West TN for great duck hunting. Good luck in your search. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
ill second prech on that if u wanna kill some birds, u wanna settle on the western part of the state. i live in dyer co. which is ten minutes from the miss. river. so we get a lotta ducks comin through. also you can drive to obion county or madison county (jackson) and deer hunt in unit L and kill a buncha deer. we have a buncha deer round here, but they havent increased the limits like they have in unit L......yet

#7 ·
I live in the nashville area and there are quite a few public deer hunting spots nearby, several of the best are bow only which will work out well for you since you like to bow hunt. Duck hunting in the Nashville are is not too good. You can definately kill ducks here but it's terrible compared to the hunting in west tenn. One bad thing about the public duck hunting in tenn is that alot of the lakes have blinds on them and there's a blind drawing every year and you have to be drawn to get a blind. If you get one great but if not you're out of luck. You can jump one but if the person with the card for that blind shows up you have to get out. There's a couple that aren't like that though and you can always find a spot on them. I'm an 8th generation middle tennessean so i probably won't ever leave but i do very little duck hunting here, i pretty much live in west TN/AR during hunting season. Good luck on your move, PM me if you have any questions about the area and i'll try to help out as much as possible. - Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.