training yellow lab pup

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, Itchy Coyote, duckbumm, duck slayR

training yellow lab pup

Postby duckhunter020 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:45 pm

i got this pup about a month ago and i am having a little more trouble than i did with my last dog i am trying to have patience with him he is still only 15 wks old but it is still coming slower than it did with my other lab im open to any opinions i am wondering if i am doing anything wrong thanks

:help:
duckhunter020
Newb

Postby UT Greenhead » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:09 pm

I would suggest you give some more detail about your pup's tendencies. What's he doing that's causing you trouble?

Please give us some situations and we'll try to help.

UTG
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby duckhunter020 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:31 pm

for instance he wil go to a dummy and attemp to retrieve but instead will woant to play with it and i can get him to sit but when he sees somehting that catches his eye he wants to take of so i have to start the process all over again i have heard of the force fetching but do not the full extent of it . i believe i have got him out of the just get upwhenever he pleases stage i have had people tell me that he is still a puppy and it will take time buti want to make sure i am not doing anything wrong thanks
duckhunter020
Newb

Postby UT Greenhead » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:17 pm

I was afraid you would say that.

At 15 wks (basically 4 months) the pup should be force fetching. What's meant by that is he should retrieve a dummy, bring it to you, and keep it in his mouth until given the "Drop" command. To do this you should start by putting a dummy in his mouth and giving the "Hold" command. If the pup wants to drop it you might need to cup your hand under his lower jaw and keep him from dropping the dummy. Don't make him hold it very long at first (3-5 seconds at most), but take it from him when you give the "Drop" command. Work your way up to longer amounts of time after you stop using your hand to keep it in his mouth.

A few things to remember:

Don't get frustrated. He can tell it, and if he knows your frustration will get him out of work he will use it to his advantage.

Work time is work time. Be firm, but not frustrated. Don't let him play when it's work time. After and only after you've finished working your pup should you allow him to play.

You might want to buy a shock collar. Some people don't like them, but dogs listen much better after you let em know who the boss is.
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby duckhunter020 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:38 pm

thank you for verifiyng that to me i have always wondered what it meant i guess with my last dogs i had it ust came more naturally to them with this pup that have supposely came out of a good bloodline of hunting dogs but it seems that it just coming to him slower than it has the other dogs i have had thank you again for the advice

thanks again
duckhunter020
Newb

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting