For those in the know!

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

For those in the know!

Postby openwaterhunter » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:31 pm

I talked to a friend today that owns property on a local lake. I asked if he would lease it to me for duck hunting. I wanted to plant crops and bush hog them down around season. I said I could hunt for free and do just what I was talking about only TWRA condemned the property when they put in a duck refuge about 300 yards away. He said they own the property but they (twra) told them no hunting was allowed on that side of the road. Could this be true or is this fella mistaken? I figured some of you guys in west TN have delt with this stuff more than us in east TN.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:25 pm

Sounds like a load of crap to me. I would guess they don't want any hunting, which is why they probably told him that. I've got a friend that owns some land up around the Whites Lake Refuge near Dyersburg, TN. There is a 60' strip of land that's classified a road that splits his land from the refuge. Since you can't legally hunt from an established road they can't hunt the 60' strip, but just beyond the 60' they can hunt all they want.

If I were your friend I would call me a lawyer and ask what his rights are. I would guess if he started some pressure they would fold like an ace high Texas Holdem poker hand.

One other thing......If we as hunters start letting them tell us we can't hunt because they build a refuge close to our property we're gonna be in trouble before long. We better start drawing some lines in the sand before long or there's not going to be any hunting. :pissed:
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby cutt-down » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:40 pm

The only way I see this is if the State "condemned" the property through the right of eminent domain. The right of eminent domain allows the government to take possession of real property through condemnation & the government would own said property. If the landowner still retains fee simple rights (ownership) then he & only he owns the property. I think it would be wise to consult an attorney because I am not one. I am a real estate appraiser & know a little about property rights but this one needs to examined. I think the landowner has a case!
cutt-down
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting