AIN'T GETTIN EM THIS YEAR

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, Itchy Coyote, duck slayR

AIN'T GETTIN EM THIS YEAR

Postby openwaterhunter » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:40 pm

Spinning wing deks that is. Can someone explain to my why they wouldN'T want em in there spread. I realize that most of the time NOW they just shy away from them once they get here anyways but them local birds early sure do fail to realize they are deadly. If I don't one in my spread I simply don't put it out, but damn if I want MORE government telling me LESS I can do.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:00 am

I'm not going to get too deep into this discussion, but will give you two reasonable reasons I wish they are banned.

1) Migrating ducks are getting smart to them. With this being the case ducks are beginning to roost during the day and feed during the nighttime hours. This doesn't sound bad to many because they think "I'm hunting timber, which is where they roost.......So I'll be here during the day when they get here". Problem is.....they've smartened up to the spinners, so their not get'n close to them anyway. You might ask yourself "Why does this simple act keep us from killing ducks?" Well, where does most of their "easy" food come from? It comes from hunters who leave crop in fields so they can hunt over it. When ducks feed at night who's there to shoot em off? They just sit there all night then leave when they hear the boats in the morning. This is why I think they’ve not migrated south like they should. Just ask our friends in Louisiana how their past 3 seasons have been.

2) I hate getting up 30 minutes early just to put em out. I'd rather get 30 more in sleep and just pull the trusty ol jerk cord.

These are just my opinions; I'm no biologist or anything else that would allow me an "expert" opinion.

BTW.....I agree with you about the government telling us something else we can't do, but if it's the right thing for our sport I will agree with it. Spinners caught on big about 8 years ago and the first 2-3 years they were awesome, but the last 5 have been pretty crappy if you ask me.

UTG
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:30 pm

I am by no means trying to pick a fight. I would just like to chop up some of your answer and take a look at each part. If I offend you, that is not my intentions AT ALL.

1) Migrating ducks are getting smart to them. With this being the case ducks are beginning to roost during the day and feed during the nighttime hours.

I thought ducks and geese do feed ALOT at night anyways?

Problem is.....they've smartened up to the spinners, so their not get'n close to them anyway.

If that's true than it looks to me like TWRA would keep them so some would survive and be all the wiser.

You might ask yourself "Why does this simple act keep us from killing ducks?" Well, where does most of their "easy" food come from? It comes from hunters who leave crop in fields so they can hunt over it

Crop field do provide a ton of forage for ducks but out of a seven day week I believe your "normal" ducks will get shot at 2 maybe 3 days a week. That leaves them 4 to 5 days of undisturbed feeding and even if you have a flock that gets shot up a little your next good push of ducks won't have a clue as to what happened there last weekend.

When ducks feed at night who's there to shoot em off? They just sit there all night then leave when they hear the boats in the morning.

Thats the same thing they do on refuges.

This is why I think they’ve not migrated south like they should. Just ask our friends in Louisiana how their past 3 seasons have been.

I believe that the reason they haven't flown south is because the weather has been so warm and there isn't any reason to fly south. They are getting food from fields that are not covered in snow.

2) I hate getting up 30 minutes early just to put em out. I'd rather get 30 more in sleep and just pull the trusty ol jerk cord.

A personal prefernce to sleep in 30 more minutes isn't a justifiable reason to ban them. Heck I have usually been up for hours anyways. :thumbsup:

These are just my opinions; I'm no biologist or anything else that would allow me an "expert" opinion.

DITTO!!! Me either. I understand you have the right to your opinion and I wouldn't infringe on that right... period. I just hate to have ONE MORE LAW in the books. It's a tool just like our calls around our necks, our jek cords we put out, our mallard machine we run on still mornings to keep ice at bay, and if they get the spinning wing deks off the water they are going to have to start getting the makers to make fakes look fake. I know if your a duck hunter worth his salt (and more than likely you are) you have looked at all the great deks that are out there. They are getting so realistic it's incredible and I haven't heard one complaint about those problems. I will be curtious and look at both sides of this subject as I hope alot of other hunters would instead of just "jumping on the band wagon" because it's the "right" thing to do. I say this again I hope I haven't offended you with my opinions.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:06 pm

I like the spinners personally. Ive had one since they first came out and i use it almost every hunt, through almost the entire season. And we do all right. But i will agree about the last 3 years, actually 4. Four years ago we killed ducks on all our holes and lots of em. For the past four years we chase ducks all over the state trying to keep up. Our numbers from last year were higher than the previous two though, so maybe we will be on a rise before long.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby UT Greenhead » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:52 pm

OpenWater,

As I said before, I won't get too deep into this "debate". We could go on for days giving examples that would picture us as swinging monkeys on a banana tree. :getdown:

I will however say this. I wish all 50 states and Canada would ban them. Unfortunately that's just how I feel, can't change it, and don't wish to. I do however respect others opinions regarding spinners and you won't find me saying "You're Wrong" on such a debatable subject.

Good day my friend,

UTG
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting