Laguna Madre 2009

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Laguna Madre 2009

Postby BuffleBuster » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:41 am

A friend of mine and I hunted the Laguna Madre again this weekend. There were thousands and thousands of ducks flying. We watched wave after wave of ducks flying over. Most of the bigger waves of ducks wouldn"t give our spread a second look but the small groups of low flying ducks decoyed in nicely. We limited out on red heads and pin tails most every time we went out.

I managed to get a couple of pictures but I was busy shooting most of the time. There are other places I hunt, but the Laguna Madre is my favorite spot. Oh yeah, the game warden was working overtime, too.

Waiting and watching

View from the blind

First casualty

Pass the habanero sauce!
BuffleBuster
hunter

Re: Laguna Madre 2009

Postby Smilin' Mallard » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:03 am

Most of the bigger waves of ducks wouldn"t give our spread a second look but the small groups of low flying ducks decoyed in nicely. We limited out on red heads and pin tails most every time we went out.

That's pretty normal, especially for big water. Good huntin' down there. I'll get back down there some day. Ain't got no nice comfy blind to hunt out of, but I do know some hot spots. :yes:
"Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of the tyrant and the creed of the slave."
William Pitt
Smilin' Mallard
hunter

Postby Greenheadless » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:17 pm

It is cool to experience that, but if you live there, it gets old quick.
Greenheadless
hunter

Postby mortarman75p » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:41 pm

Headed there this weekend!! :thumbsup:
mortarman75p
hunter

Postby texan68 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:58 pm

Greenheadless wrote:It is cool to experience that, but if you live there, it gets old quick.

lol agreed. redheads, redheads, pintails, redheads, redheads, pintails, ooooooooo a widgeon!!!, redheads, redheads, redheads....
Leave it better than you found it. Pick up your empties.
texan68
hunter

Postby CCducker » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:31 pm

texan68 wrote:
Greenheadless wrote:It is cool to experience that, but if you live there, it gets old quick.

lol agreed. redheads, redheads, pintails, redheads, redheads, pintails, ooooooooo a widgeon!!!, redheads, redheads, redheads....

Funny and very true...

but

Only if you dont scout :yes:

The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby BuffleBuster » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:31 pm

Merry Christmas guys. Some people can only wish they had the misfortune of thousands of Redheads and Pintails.

Bring a rod and make it a cast-n-blast. Grand Slam duck hunting in the morning topped off with a Grand Slam fishing in the afternoon. Life should be so bad for all hunters.
Pass the habanero sauce!
BuffleBuster
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:39 am

CCducker wrote:
texan68 wrote:

lol agreed. redheads, redheads, pintails, redheads, redheads, pintails, ooooooooo a wigeon!!!, redheads, redheads, redheads....

Funny and very true...

but

Only if you dont scout :yes:

Oh I do my scouting....believe me. I have actually been doing pretty well on wigeon and mottled this year, but when it comes to Port Mansfield (old redfish landing LM) and the lack of an air boat, its back to the "3"......if you know what I mean. Oh and speaking of cast n' blast, while hunting Mansfield over thanksgiving, I had the largest school of reds I have ever seen tailing through the decoys, had to consist of well over 40 fish, and right behind them, came a big o' lunker, probably 40 inches or so. Didn't have a rod unfortunately, but it was a sight.
texan68
hunter

Postby GKO » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Taylor, my Scouting occurs over years as I don't live down there. I want to talk to you about doing a guided hunt sometime soon. I have some folks that have never been on a Duck Hunt and think it would be more fun for them to go with someone that can put them on Ducks.

I fell like I know Rockport and Port A pretty well now but I am still learning.

This coming week I am going to hook up with some friends in Riviera and start 'Learning' Baffin. I plan to look around Alazan.

I will be fishing in between. Will report when I get back.
GKO
hunter

Postby swampducky » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:05 am

wow taylor is awesome...

these guys are hunting open water, you will get a stray, but not going to see many gaddy's and wigeon out in the big bay.
definitely not enough to fill a strap.

now as for whistlers...lol not sure why you'd post a glory pic of those :no: ...but they will rarely be taken around big open water unless you're in a flyway
swampducky
hunter

Postby CCducker » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:16 pm

swampducky wrote:wow taylor is awesome...

these guys are hunting open water, you will get a stray, but not going to see many gaddy's and wigeon out in the big bay.

now as for whistlers...lol not sure why you'd post a glory pic of those :no: ...but they will rarely be taken around big open water unless you're in a flyway

Ha! Just stick to that way of thinking its fine with me...I have shot full limits of both on the bay.

Man your posts are useless... :yes:
The Producers

I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby CCducker » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:20 pm

texan68 wrote:Oh I do my scouting....believe me. I have actually been doing pretty well on wigeon and mottled this year, but when it comes to Port Mansfield (old redfish landing LM) and the lack of an air boat, its back to the "3"......if you know what I mean. Oh and speaking of cast n' blast, while hunting Mansfield over thanksgiving, I had the largest school of reds I have ever seen tailing through the decoys, had to consist of well over 40 fish, and right behind them, came a big o' lunker, probably 40 inches or so. Didn't have a rod unfortunately, but it was a sight.

It has happened to us many a time man reds blow through the decoys and you sit there helpless...

The birds are around- :yes:
The Producers

CCducker
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:37 pm

CCducker wrote:
swampducky wrote:wow taylor is awesome...

Ha! Just stick to that way of thinking its fine with me...I have shot full limits of both on the bay.

I think it just depends on what part of the laguna madre you are hunting. If there is freshwater near, you will get a variety of puddler ducks, but when it comes to OPEN, and I mean OPEN laguna madre like much of the water surrounding Mansfieild, you will not get a variety of birds. Primarily redheads, and pintails, with the occasional wigeon, bluebill or teal. After hunting at mansfield for nearly 8 years now, I have not seen another species on the open mansfield laguna. Go inland or more towards the Arroyo Colorado (freshwater river south of town) you will get your wigeon, teal, mottled, and black bellies in good numbers
Last edited by texan68 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texan68
hunter

Postby sgtslick311 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:31 am

Man I gotta get out to the Madre, I live in Kingsville and it seems like nobody down here duck hunts at all.
sgtslick311
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:43 am

Well if any of you guys see major crowding you can thank DU TV for that :thumbsup:
devildog28
hunter

Postby swampducky » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:33 am

CCducker wrote:Ha! Just stick to that way of thinking its fine with me...I have shot full limits of both on the bay.

Yea, telling everyone they can go out in the laguna sit in a blind (just about anywhere) and shoot a limit of wigeon with a few gaddy kickers is perfectly logical thinking. what a goober. get real

You have to scout and find those birds before striking out in the big bay thinking they might come to you...that's redheads that do that. Try to find a way to not sound like such a snippy little girl taylor...seems like you've been having some trouble around here lately with that.
swampducky
hunter

Postby swampducky » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:37 am

and the pictures could really use a quality upgrade. Maybe get your friend trey to take all your pictures, he does a pretty good job. But seriously, stop making all these honorable ducks look like crap laying them out on the driveway wings spread looking like they have tourette's syndrome. Simply terrible :no:
swampducky
hunter

Postby HtownBlaster » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am

There really needs to be a mental health evaluation for new members on this forum. :rolleyes:
Newest member of the A5 club.
HtownBlaster
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:12 pm

I wouldn't be allowed to post if there was mental health standards.
devildog28
hunter

Postby CCducker » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:19 pm

swampducky wrote:
CCducker wrote:Ha! Just stick to that way of thinking its fine with me...I have shot full limits of both on the bay.

Yea, telling everyone they can go out in the laguna sit in a blind (just about anywhere) and shoot a limit of wigeon with a few gaddy kickers is perfectly logical thinking. what a goober. get real

You have to scout and find those birds before striking out in the big bay thinking they might come to you...that's redheads that do that. Try to find a way to not sound like such a snippy little girl taylor...seems like you've been having some trouble around here lately with that.

Since the first words in reference to this post were that you need to do your scouting..... :lol3:
The Producers

CCducker
hunter

Postby CCducker » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:22 pm

HtownBlaster wrote:There really needs to be a mental health evaluation for new members on this forum. :rolleyes:

Agreed, what a nut heh :moon:
The Producers

CCducker
hunter

Postby CCducker » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:52 pm

BuffleBuster wrote:A friend of mine and I hunted the Laguna Madre again this weekend. There were thousands and thousands of ducks flying. We watched wave after wave of ducks flying over. Most of the bigger waves of ducks wouldn"t give our spread a second look but the small groups of low flying ducks decoyed in nicely. We limited out on red heads and pin tails most every time we went out.

I managed to get a couple of pictures but I was busy shooting most of the time. There are other places I hunt, but the Laguna Madre is my favorite spot. Oh yeah, the game warden was working overtime, too.

Waiting and watching

View from the blind

First casualty

Looks like you guys had a good time sorry your post has been :hijack:

:thumbsup:
The Producers

CCducker
hunter

Postby wlgorman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:53 am

good hunts bro sorry your thread got jacked. I agree some of these NOOBS are nuttier than a squirrel turd
wlgorman
hunter

Postby swampducky » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:19 pm

hahah ya don't know who jacked it...

Taylor trying to call out texan68 for no reason like he is the only scouting God in the laguna

"Funny and very true...

but

Only if you dont scout"

then post pics like you really want to outdo the single redhead and blind pics buffle buster generously shared. GOOD JOB Taylor, think you've won this one.

What a stellar class act, shows why KIDS can't try to be guides. too big of a head and WRONG attitude
swampducky
hunter

Postby wlgorman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:50 pm

swampducky have you ever met CCducker in person? The dude is actually pretty knowledgeable and a hell of a nice guy. I havent seen any kill pics from you except for a couple geese you killed on a guided hunt. Damn near every post you have on this site is bashing CCducker and its getting to the point where its quite comical. I dont think he tried to 'call out' Texan68 just sharing some knowledge that scouting DOES in fact pay off. I've got a spot right now where I can kill bluebill, redhead, pintail, gadwall, wigeon and teal all in one hunt and on good days bag plenty of snows too (had a buddy get 4 snows and a lesser canada along with his limit of ducks saturday right across from me). Guess how I found it? Scouting. Guess what else? Its big, open water. CCducker kills the hell out of the birds and believe it or not he has bad days out hunting just like the rest of us.

You guys crack me up. Coming on here with 20 posts and 90% of your 'contributions' are hijacking threads just to bash an individual every chance you get. This is a good forum and here lately its not even worth it to check out the TX forum b/c we got jagoffs in here starting pissing matches every other post. We all hunt, some of us do better than others, and most of us here like to share info/stories/pics with each other. Somewhere along the lines someone got sand in their vag's and it needs to get shaken out. swampducky get out and hunt, take some pics and share them with us, we wont bash you b/c you kill birds. Hell it'd prob do a hell of a job shaking that stuff out from between your legs and we will all be able to get along again...
wlgorman
hunter

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting