this place hasn't changed....

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

this place hasn't changed....

Postby leaky wader » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:49 pm

...still a bunch of folks wanting something for nothing and still a few idiots willing to give it to them. I swear folks get lazier and lazier as the years go by :lame:

...carry on Barneys :thumbsup:
Quit crankin on that wheel and get this thing moving!!
leaky wader
hunter

Re: this place hasn't changed....

Postby BMowatt » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:49 pm

nope, hasn't changed, nor will it!! That is all.
BMowatt
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Yeah these new hunters magically know where to go when just starting out. :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with giving someone a couple pointers. Nothing is more depressing than waking up early, burning a tank of gas, and arriving at a new lake only to come home without firing a shot. That's not a way to keep new hunters interested.
devildog28
hunter

Postby Decoy man » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:43 am

I'm with devil dog!!!
Decoy man
hunter

Postby Decoy man » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:50 am

On another thought I guess the older you get your ok with where you are. I go for the fun and good times with my friends. Shooting a limit does not mean anything anymore. I have been every where in the states and out side the U.S for ducks. Duck hunting is a sportsmans hunt not "LIMITS" It is friendship, sportsmanship and good times.
Decoy man
hunter

Postby ranger2008 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:15 am

well spoken decoy man
It is what it is
ranger2008
hunter

Postby leaky wader » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:30 pm

devildog28 wrote:Yeah these new hunters magically know where to go when just starting out. :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with giving someone a couple pointers. Nothing is more depressing than waking up early, burning a tank of gas, and arriving at a new lake only to come home without firing a shot. That's not a way to keep new hunters interested.

Are you serious? I mean are you FRIGGIN SERIOUS???!!!! WOW!!! Rarely do I have a chance to correspond with a King Barney on a web forum. I am graced by your presence and am honored to be chatting directly with the guru of all Barneys..... :hi: :fingerhead:

Brutha, if that truly is your belief, then somewhere, somehow someone steered you wrong or you believed what Jim Jones was preaching and drank the kool-aid :yes: :lol3:

First of all, what you said is THE problem with young hunters getting into the sport today. Instead of being taught to go out on their own and burn up that tank of gas and put in that blood, sweat and resources we have guys like you telling our new hunters to just come onto an internet forum and just blatantly ask where the ducks are without so much as trying to do it the right way. You are correct in one thing, it is not all about the ducks. Any true sportsman knows this. However, I do not know how you roll, but where I come from, and it is a fraternity of old schoolers that do things the right way, you get your azz out there and go find them. You talk of the true essence of duckhunting, well, IMO, and rest assured most REAL duckhunters, nothing is more satisfying that doing your OWN homework, putting in the miles, time, blood, sweat and money and it all coming together when you hit paydirt!! I don't know about you, but my time and my money is very important to me. And I'll be damned if I am gonna spend alot of either just so that some jakeleg can come on a forum and just ask me "where are the birds?" or "what about this place?" and expect me to just spew what I know!!!

You are correct in another thing, it is also about the comraderie and fellowship we spend with friends, family and such... But that doesn't mean you you gotta share where you hunt with the whole world.

here's the deal, if you don't get it now I suspect you never will... But let's not teach our young hunters coming into the game that it is ok to cyberscout and just be lazy azz's. Instead let's teach them to get out there and do it the right way. Cuz whether you believe this or not, scouting IS all part of the waterfowling experience as well. I've been doing this for so long that pulling the trigger on a bird is .000001% of my hunt. Scouting and finding new areas actually accounts for prolly 50% of my enjoyment in the sport and the other 49.99999 is because I get to share good times and make great memories with good friends, family and my 2 young girls that are just beginning to hunt with me.

A young or new hunter wants to ask me advice on weather conditions, which spread works best, calling questions, duck grocery questions ,tips when scouting, concealment, ect,,....I have no issue with that and I am always there to help a feller out...but sharing duck holes or even pointing a man in the general direction of where I hunt is about as bad as a man sharing his wife. Young and new hunters WILL get more satisfaction out of their success when they put in the time and hard work I can assure you.

......but I've only been chasing our fine feathered friends for 31 seasons so what do I know?
:rolleyes:
leaky wader
hunter

Postby turbosdad » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:16 pm

yup, gosh darn it you have earned it. Well so have I and I have more than 10 years on you. Wake up and smell the "progress". Hunting is going away in this country, especially duck hunting. i live in the suburbs of a town in Houston, almost a country school. Guess what I dont know a single kid in the High School that waterfowl hunts.
The internet is tool to be used today. I spend hours looking at Google Earth, it's way better than walking in a circle trying to figure it all out. When I was in High School, we trespassed to hunt....guess what no one cared back then. In College we used a canoe to get to the backwaters of Sam Rayburn. In your eyes, I guess I should have swam like a "real" hunter. Maybe while breathing through a reed would have made me earn it more. When, I got out of college one of my first purchases was brand spanking new Mercury 25 Hp outboard. Didnt have the boat yet, but I knew that the motor had to be dependable. Again, I must be a wuss for not using paddles like real hunters did. I spent many, many, many fruitless hours riding around in that boat "looking for ducks". I almost shudder to admit what a Barney I am but one time a friend and I rented a plane and pilot for two hours to fly us over the marshes we were interested in hunting. I am sorry, what was I thinking, I should have walked that marsh, alone, without waders and barefooted. Leaky Wader, do you even use a gun? You know that really isnt how the "real hunters" used to do it. Yep slowly but surely over the years I found dem dam ducks, using maps and talking to anyone that would talk to me. Later in my life I controlled a high dollar lease in prime waterfowl country. Both of my daughters, three nephews, one younger brother, and numerous friends offspring grew up on that lease. They learned to hunt the easy way, I showed them everything, using the finest equipment, on the finest property , where there were thousands of ducks and geese. My daughters can ID ducks as good as any man. Two of my three nephews will walk a mile in any marsh faster than most people could get there on a four wheeler. One is a guide and has been for 15 years. The other is a college student that doesnt have a pot to pee in so he walks out into the public bays system to hunt. My point is they are not ruined by the fact that someone showed them how and where to hunt.

Seriously, I will tell anyone interested how and where to hunt becuase I know if it is in him, it is only gong to take once to see a flock of drake pins floating overhead for me to have a fellow hunter for life. I will talk to them in person, on the phone or using this thing called the internet. By the way next time you go out, dont be a Barney and take your cell phone????
turbosdad
hunter

Postby leaky wader » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:43 pm

Forgive me for forgetting myself....I obviously had a brainfart and had forgotten I was walking in the land of Barneyville. Resistance is futile....

Turbo, one thing--momma always said you can't fix stupid...you sir, are a great example

No one ever said anything about not helping fellers out in ANY way. Yes there are many good resources on the web that are very helpful and can cut a man's time down dramatically when trying to pinpoint an area of interest. However, you obviously missed my point...that being that todays new hunters are abusing the web forums for info that goes waaaaay beyond the parameters of looking for GENERAL help and info. Google earth, BING 3D, lakes/reservoir websites, state and local websites...it's all just a click away. However, we are seeing too many guys coming onto forums today and just blantantly asking "Where can I find ducks?" You strike me as the kind of person that will never admit it, but you know damn well it to be true.

Furthermore, what about all the other cats out there putting in that hard work just so that some "good samaritan" such as yourself :lol3: can just pipe up with " anyone can ask me where ducks are and I'll tell them" and stab those fellers right in the back. I'm sure the guys that hunt the lakes/rivers/etc where you do would completely agree with your stance, huh? They'd whoop your azz and you know it. :yes: So don't come on here and try to make it look like you are the public land messiah and here to help everyone. It is guys like you that give public hunting a bad wrap with your loose lips that cause another man's hard work and scouting to go right down the toilet just because you wanna be a "little helper". :fingerpt:

Here's something helpful for those looking for birds....get on the net, scout aerial imagery, check water levels on websites and network through PM's!! NOT just blantantly coming on a forum and asking "where are the birds?" or "Anyone know anything about Lake X?" Do your own homework and ask privately if you must. That will show guys that you are asking that you understand that the WHOLE WORLD is watching when you ask somethign publicly and they will respect you for trying to keep things on the down low. They'll also be more receptibe to share a little bit of good info with ya. After that, get yo azz in yo truck, hook up your boat iffin ya gots one and go look for yourself. Areas change season to season, what an area might look like and offer one year will sometimes be totally different the next. Keep a journal...Take notes, conditions, food resources, etc... Point is, put in yourleg work, it is all part of the waterfowling experience :thumbsup:

See that is the whole point of my thread......Ask if you must, but do it privately. Guys remember, this is the WORLD wide web, and not a private forum. How would you feel if you put in some hard work in finding some really good areas and some bozo pops off with" just ask and I'll tell ya where" and it just so happens to be at a lake/river/WMA you frequent? Wouldn't like it would ya. Don't know about the rest of you cats but I personally don't like the areas I hunt crowded. I've watched area after area get blown out over the years because of loose lips on internet forums. If ya find birds and have great succes, good for you and and I hope ya do!! However, keep it to yourself unless you want company the next day.

Some of you fellers may not agree with me today, but rest assured the day WILL come, when you will finally realize and understand what I am trying to explain...

I'm done...can't ya beat a Barney cuz, well he's Barney and doesn't get it and never will

Happy scouting and hunting to you guys this season :beer:

Leaky out!!
leaky wader
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:01 pm

You spent 2 posts rambling on and on about how I'm a Barney and how we shouldn't be giving out spots.

My question is where in my original post did I say anything about giving specific details? Had you had taken time to read what I wrote you would've saved yourself a lot of typing. :thumbsup:

I'll give you a little background on my hunting cred to maybe help you calm down and take a step back. Well to be honest I have none because I wasn't fortunate like you and grew up in a household where my parents didn't care what my interests were. They chose them for me based on how it fit in to each's money chasing schedule. My start into duckhunting was kind of unintentional actually. I had got a lab during the spring time of 2007 and after a few months the desire to hunt came back to me so I figured "hell might as well now since I already got the dog.". I came on here in 2008 not knowing a single iota about any aspect of waterfowling and used this website as merely a tool to give me a starting point. '08's season was pretty bad to say the least. I didn't get one limit and was too scared to call. With the help of a good friend I met off here and a lot of tips here and there from other members last season I got a few limits and even called a few birds in. Do see anything in there where people gave me specific spots etc.? Hell, most of them don't even live in the same state.

So do you see how a lot of people come on here soley looking for a starting point now that maybe through whatever circumstances they didn't get into hunting until later in life?

I get the feeling you're kind of a troll based on your last few posts. Your response to what I typed above will give me all the indication I need.
devildog28
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:09 am

You have to start somewhere. I thought I knew things about waterfowl but this website increases your knowledge and understanding substantially. I think most people here do their own research and when you see a person posting asking for spots and their post number is 1 it's safe to assume they are never going to visit this website again. I don't know how many threads there are where a person says hey where are the ducks and it is their one and only post then the thread continues for 2-3 pages saying look for yourself.

A lot of people don't know where to start or might not know the proper etiquette of this particular forum. I've seen other forums for the state of Texas where people are more than willing to give out locations, honey holes, and GPS coordinates that are legit. This could just be me but I doubt anyone on here would give their honey hole out and even if they say oh that lake has ducks but is crowded so start to scout and put in work they might go to that place 1 or 2 times and then never return because it's to much of a hassle. Most people willing to put in the work and continue hunting the 1st and 2nd split don't need to find locations because they already know them.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Decoy man » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:47 am

I agree with devildog28 and ranger2008 looks like leaky wader is just a leaky wader
Decoy man
hunter

Postby CCducker » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:31 am

devildog28 wrote:You spent 2 posts rambling on and on about how I'm a Barney and how we shouldn't be giving out spots.

My question is where in my original post did I say anything about giving specific details? Had you had taken time to read what I wrote you would've saved yourself a lot of typing. :thumbsup:

I'll give you a little background on my hunting cred to maybe help you calm down and take a step back. Well to be honest I have none because I wasn't fortunate like you and grew up in a household where my parents didn't care what my interests were. They chose them for me based on how it fit in to each's money chasing schedule. My start into duckhunting was kind of unintentional actually. I had got a lab during the spring time of 2007 and after a few months the desire to hunt came back to me so I figured "hell might as well now since I already got the dog.". I came on here in 2008 not knowing a single iota about any aspect of waterfowling and used this website as merely a tool to give me a starting point. '08's season was pretty bad to say the least. I didn't get one limit and was too scared to call. With the help of a good friend I met off here and a lot of tips here and there from other members last season I got a few limits and even called a few birds in. Do see anything in there where people gave me specific spots etc.? Hell, most of them don't even live in the same state.

So do you see how a lot of people come on here soley looking for a starting point now that maybe through whatever circumstances they didn't get into hunting until later in life?

I get the feeling you're kind of a troll based on your last few posts. Your response to what I typed above will give me all the indication I need.

I helped Devildog in the beginning and have not regretted a single minute of my time in the field with him. He is a loyal friend and works hard for the birds he shoots. You need to take a step back, I have seen your posts in the past and I know you have started your little one off right with respect for the marsh and fellow hunters. But just think if you hadnt had anyone to take you hunting. Just remember the duck gods will smile upon you if you help out someone just getting into the sport. :beer:
The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby dabuckmaster24 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:26 pm

Yeah you don't have to give someone a specific spot. Maybe just a lake name that could be holding some ducks. Most lakes are so big the chances of that person hunting with you is slim to none. Then again I like it when others are hunting the same lakes as me. Not to crowded but enough to keep the ducks moving. Otherwise they go land somewhere and don't get up to later in the day. I am a young guy but have brought many people into this sport and some become serious and others just don't want to put in the effort. It doesn't matter if I give them gps cordinates they dont have it in them. The ones that do, I will give a helping hand to keep them coming back and maybe having a little one , one day and bring him back too. I was blessed to have a father that raised me in a hunting enviroment, but so many times I have had buddies that would rather go party than go scout because there father never hunted. Well if we start a cycle then maybe we can get them into the sport. No matter how different our opinions most hunters I have met are good people. So why not do what we can to have more of us. We could all sit here and type our argument until we are blue in the face, and the others still would not understand why we feel the way we feel. I like chevy's and i am sure there is someone here that likes fords. Thats life. Good luck this hunting season to everyone and if you get a chance take a kid hunting!!! Just don't give him any spots :lol3: Sorry for the rant.
dabuckmaster24
hunter

Postby RedTx » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Leaky you are right this place blows cork. Main reason I never come here anymore, same reason im not a moderator. Heck I dont think Iv been to this place in over a year :thumbsup:
RedTx
State Moderator

Postby Robn1020 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Wow really interesting posts. Anybody wanna share some spots with an up and coming duck hunter? Not looking for exact blind location, just GPS coordinates. Also, if its private land, a key would be nice.
18'44'' GoDevil w/ Stage 1 35 GDSD "Momma I wanna go fast!"
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk22 ... G_1555.jpg
Robn1020
hunter

Postby rptrainer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:58 pm

Finding ducks is not brain surgery … Step 1...Just get there at day break and sit and listen to where everybody is shooting… Step 2... Go investigate..Bada Bing Bada Boom you got a place to hunt the next morning…ROFL
rptrainer
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:15 am

rptrainer wrote:Finding ducks is not brain surgery … Step 1...Just get there at day break and sit and listen to where everybody is shooting… Step 2... Go investigate..Bada Bing Bada Boom you got a place to hunt the next morning…ROFL

Why wait until the next morning? I like getting in about 50-100 yards away, throw a few dekes out and hope to sky blast the ones their decoying in. I'd rather have a duck today then wait til tomorrow.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby JamesP82 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:00 am

WOW....just WOW! This will be my third year hunting waterfowl. If I hadn't been invited out by a friend who had done it for year, I would have never started. I was taken out on a public spot my first time and got blanked. I took it as a challenge and started going out more. Through the off-season I watched waterfowl and learned their habits (calling, movement, ect.) and last season had some amazing hunts.

Helping someone to get into the sport is not a bad thing, if done responsibly. Cyberscouting is crap, and should be ignored. Explaining to a new hunter that it's an incorrect way to act and then showing them the right way is admirable. I was showed the correct way first so I never had that problem.

If all you can do is complain on forums about it and never take the time to teach them right, you are still not being part of the solution. You miss out on bringing in a new hunter and possibly a new friend. You also miss out on someone to help split the burden for carrying gear to the blind. Face it, one day it'll get tough carry all your gear to the blind with us younger generation to help.

Wish you all the best of hunts,

James
JamesP82
hunter

Postby HtownBlaster » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:17 pm

I've been reading posts on this board for 3 years and I've never seen anyone name a spot. I've seen a pic get posted that kinda showed a location, but it was inadvertent.

People will always get their panties in a wad. Fact is, Barnies are going to set up near you with or without the internet.
Newest member of the A5 club.
HtownBlaster
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:25 pm

HtownBlaster wrote:Fact is, Barnies are going to set up near you with or without the internet.

ain't that the truth. i remember one time i had a truck following me down the highway, no biggie. they took the same exit and every turn. we ended up at the same wma. we got to talking in line. turns out they'd seen my decoys in the bed and decided to follow me. would have sucked for them if i'd have been headed to private land. we didn't hunt anywheres near each other so i have no idea how they acted in the field, but i just couldnt fathom following someone you thought was going hunting. for all they knew i could have been heading home.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby rptrainer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:16 am

Ok Does anyone really think they are the only ones on the lake…If you think you have a “Secret spot”..Your living in dream land…This is not the lost continent…EVERYBODY knows it’s there..If you do a lot of shooting from that spot on a regular basis your going to be found and all the regulars to the lake know it’s there…But what really irritates me is the people that think they own these spots..The ones that give you a dirty look when you get there earlier than they do because they think they can pull up 20min before shooting time…There are no secret spots anymore….If you only know of two or three of these spots you’re the lazy fool that should get up get out and hunt….
rptrainer
hunter

Postby KaceyDucks » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:29 am

I am new to the forum...where are the ducks. LOLOL JK

I came on here looking for more people in DFW that actually want to go hunting. It seems as though there are plenty of people that talk about lake this and lake that WMA blah. I have found spots that are semi productive and I know that others know about them. I just hate when my hunting buddies have to work and going out by myself gets old.

That being said, is anyone looking to go out anywhere with 100 miles of DFW this weekend?

If so I have an extra seat in the truck to go to any of a few WMA's or corp land around here. Last weekend I was lucky enough to fall in after taking 2 Gadwall that decoyed awesomely. LOL

PM me if you are going out, just looking for some more people to hunt with and learn some more about different kinds of spreads/calling first hand. Two more weekends, cant wait
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants." -- Thomas Jefferson
KaceyDucks
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:09 am

Decoy man wrote:Duck hunting is a sportsmans hunt not "LIMITS" It is friendship, sportsmanship and good times.

Kacey ... this thread is nearly 3 years old.

But ... I will be taking the opportunity to point out that TRUE American heritage in duck hunting is MARKET hunting, it had little - nothing to do with building friendships and sportsmanship. While obviously this has changed, I guarantee in days past ... people who did this for a living didn't share information.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby KaceyDucks » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Pouledeau wrote:
Decoy man wrote:Duck hunting is a sportsmans hunt not "LIMITS" It is friendship, sportsmanship and good times.

Kacey ... this thread is nearly 3 years old.

But ... I will be taking the opportunity to point out that TRUE American heritage in duck hunting is MARKET hunting, it had little - nothing to do with building friendships and sportsmanship. While obviously this has changed, I guarantee in days past ... people who did this for a living didn't share information.

I understand this is an old post, I try not to make new posts on forums just for the sake of making new posts.

I also don't advocate telling everyone where your spot is. I dont particularly care for someone to show up at LST in their boat 20 yards from you and pepper you all morning all while shooting at everything that is flying including the 747 that just left DFW.

Scouting is the best part when you work your tail off and find a spot to even shoot one duck. This season I had set up on a small slough didn't see anything. So at 0900 I started walking, walked a mile and shot a shoveler and found my new spot. Best feeling all season. Working hard to get on the ducks is a way better feeling than being put on the birds and limiting. (Although having a buddy with private land and limiting is still awesome)
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants." -- Thomas Jefferson
KaceyDucks
hunter

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting