poachers trying to claim certain spots on public land!?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

poachers trying to claim certain spots on public land!?

Postby ibanez » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:57 pm

so it is opening day of the split, and i wake up really early (in fact i never went to sleep), i get to the lake...work to get back to my spot, low and behold to find decoys already set out. but nobody beat me out there these deeks were set out the night before. so i found a different spot around 400 yards away.....here is the kicker....a group of about 8 guys roll in about 20mins before shooting time, start blasting at the birds in those deeks....later on that morning there was a lot of pintails working the area....they downed at least 5 pintails....can you say barneyius maximus.... I am interested to see what people on this forum think in regards to trying to claim certain spots on PUBLIC LAND....usually i am very chill when it comes to confrontation....but next time i think it might be impossible to avoid.

your time is appreciated!
ibanez
Newb

Postby bw44 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:01 am

that's public huntin' for ya....sucks don't it? :pissed: At least they didn't start 20 minutes EARLY like several groups near me did. I had several groups of birds in the dekes before LST....all of which got spooked by early shooting....still managed a legitimate triple right at LST, but after 20 minutes of early shooting, the birds were definitely spooked....couldn't get anymore to work :thumbsdown:
"Screw you we're from Texas.....we're from Texas, screw you." Ray Wylie Hubbard
bw44
hunter

Postby TexasGeese » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:15 am

1-800-792-GAME.....call and talk to a GW next time.
TexasGeese
hunter

Postby Heather » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:04 pm

Sure enough TexasGeese. Took the words out of my mouth.
Heather
hunter

Postby dav42070 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:09 pm

I think my decoy spread just got larger, if you leave your deeks on the water in public its considered abandonment. Course you got to have the gidyyup to takeem. But if it was me them deeks woulda been gone by time they showed up.
dav42070
hunter

Postby alducks1 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:42 am

Dont kid yourself about abandonment of decoys...that's outright stealing if you take them. Now....if you were to collect them by the strings and toss em up on the land in a big tangled pile...don't know of a law against negligent deke pickup!

As for staking out a spot the night before, sounds like BW made the right decision to NOT gather up the dekes and hunt that place. He might have been the loser up against 8 other guys. Public hunters who stake places out like that make it tough on everybody out there...really tests our patience and better judgement. The problem is, there's not much legally that you can do about it. Like has been stated already, if you witness illegal activity, you can always get their boat or truck plate numbers and report them to the GW; which STILL won't keep them from staking out your favorite spot again. It will make you feel better though! :thumbsup:
You can never have enough camo!
alducks1
hunter

Postby TXskilletwacker » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:44 pm

I have HAD hunting buddies that would keep a small soldering torch in the boat (this stake out thing was a pretty regular ordeal) and when this would happen, they would kindly deform a couple of the memebers of the decoy spread or just completely sink 'em or cut the weight lines on a few to make a point!

Dang near got them in a gun fight one time, luckly they were quick thinkers and were able to talk their way out of a rumble (5 vs. 2), plus paid for a couple of the flaming, plastic floats which once resembled a duck.

Needless to say after that, they started cussing the owners as they searched for somewhere else to hunt instead of retaliating!
if i could make a scented candle, i'd make call it... gunpowder in the sunrise! or wet dog, swamp mud and gun smoke!
TXskilletwacker
hunter

Postby Jager » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:03 pm

I've had that happen to me twice.

the first time I took the good decoys on my way out after done hunting since no one showed up to hunt on the left out spread, I'm sure they will never do that again after about 9 of their decoys were gone... :salude:

second time I picked them up put them on the bank and hunted the spot with my own decoys,,,, the father, uncle, son group showed up a minutes before shooting time,,, told them to take a hike and that they broke the law and I got there sooner than they did and I will be hunting that area,

I let them come and get their decoys I threw out of water ...

I hate barny but a lazy barny is even worse.
Jager
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:47 pm

Barny?
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby alducks1 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:29 pm

Barney: slang for newbies who don't know what they're doing but do it anyway; experienced hunter/killers who don't know what they're doing; lurkers who try to find out exactly where we hunt and show up there before we do; jerks who set up 50-100 yards from your blind and skyblast; etc.....
I'm sure there's a lot Ive left out.... :yes:
alducks1
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:14 am

Gotcha :thumbsup:
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:08 pm

I leave my dekes out overnight, sometimes for the entire season. Its nothing new fellas.... that’s how most places up north function (or at many of the places I have hunted). Hunters will go before season, make a permanent blind, and put their dekes out. This way everyone knows where everyone else is, and there's no confusion. :thumbsup:
texan68
hunter

Postby alducks1 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:47 pm

texan68 wrote:I This way everyone knows where everyone else is, and there's no confusion. :thumbsup:

The only confusion I see, is about the definition of public hunting in those areas and 'everyone', being the people who stake out the areas before the season. Sorry, it may not be new behavior, but that probably is the root of more confrontations on public hunting land than anything else. It's lucky that 'everyone' up there doesnt have to worry about being infringed upon by the rest of the hunting public who might want to wander in and hunt. The people that dont abide by 'first come first served' in blinds on the public land around here, seem to be plagued by rogue lightning strikes and dekes gathered up for them.
If the TPWD would ban the building of permanent blinds on the public land it would prevent a lot of debate. Boat blinds these days are the way to go anyway. For the walk ins, there are materials lightweight enough to carry on and out; at least it would prevent blind ownership 'discussions'.
alducks1
hunter

Postby dav42070 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:21 pm

texan68 wrote:I leave my dekes out overnight, sometimes for the entire season. Its nothing new fellas.... that’s how most places up north function (or at many of the places I have hunted). Hunters will go before season, make a permanent blind, and put their dekes out. This way everyone knows where everyone else is, and there's no confusion. :thumbsup:
Is this on public or private that you leave your deeks out for the season? If this is public could you please let me no where it is, so I can steer clear of your saved spot. :thumbsup:
dav42070
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:48 pm

Its public
texan68
hunter

Postby barleydog » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:26 pm

Let me know too....I could use some new dekes
barleydog
hunter

Postby mallard mangler » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:56 am

While it would be nice to be able to "claim ownership" to a piece of public land by building a permanent blind and putting out decoys, it does not work like that here. Public land is just that, public, and most public places do not allow for permanent blind construction.

When in Rome...if not 35N
"I do not hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted"
Jose Ortega y Gasset

www.texasdelta.org
mallard mangler
hunter

Postby Jager » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:22 pm

texan68 wrote:Its public

all jokes aside, I'm sure you already know that's illegal right?
Jager
hunter

Postby barleydog » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:45 pm

I wasn't joking...please...let me know. I really would like some free dekes. I'd snatch them in a heart beat....and there wouldn't be a thing anyone could do 'bout it....

and if didn't have the room on the boat to take 'em back with me, those dekes would start sleeping with the fishes....ensuring that they sink to the bottom.........That's a risk you take when you do the wrong thing....

:pissed:
barleydog
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:06 pm

Sure it might be illegal, but the game wardens see it everyday, and could care less.
texan68
hunter

Postby houstonhunter » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:31 pm

For those of you that keep talking about taking those decoys, there are a few unknowns to consider.....
1) You don't know who those decoys belong to.
2) You don't know how many guys there are.
3) You don't know how big they are.
4) you don't know what weapons they may be carrying.
5) You don't know their temperment.
6) You don't know if they just got out of jail or not.

Guys who do stuff like that or either plain ignorant or they don't care about the laws. I really don't care to be near either of thos two types people when they have a gun.

Just my opinion.
If your decoys are wet, your gun is hot and dog is retrieving....Your life is Grand
houstonhunter
hunter

Postby barleydog » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:15 pm

True...but that's what a fast boat is for.... :yes:
Plus it may even keep them out of the area for a while when a couple hundred bucks of dekes are gone....granted you'd never seem me use them in that spot. Additionally, all those things you brought up apply to the other side too....... :laughing:

If you don't care enough to secure your belongings then you don't deserve to have them.......
barleydog
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:19 pm

If I ever found anyone trying to take my dekes, they would get a load of steel in their outboard.
Last edited by texan68 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texan68
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:22 pm

houstonhunter wrote:Guys who do stuff like that or either plain ignorant

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
texan68
hunter

Postby barleydog » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:23 pm

All's fair in love and war. Just remember that if your willing to shoot, you better be ready to be shot back at....... :thumbsup:
barleydog
hunter

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting