Decoy spread for later season

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Decoy spread for later season

Postby Turducken » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:00 pm

I hunt a public resevoir in central Texas. Only carry out a dozen or so dec's because it is a good hump to the hunting spots from where the truck is parked. Been noticing that the birds are not as willing to look at my decoy spread as they were ealier in the season. I also have noticed that the ducks rafting out on the main lake are more spread out than they were earlier and have been thinking about doing the same with my decoys. I also am considering choking the decoys up into a tight group so they can more easily be seen from a distance. I will try both but was wondering if anyone felt strongly one way or the other on this subject.
kill 'em cook 'em eat 'em
Turducken
Newb

Postby mallard mangler » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:04 pm

I like to pair them up as they typically do to mate here in late season. I don' tknow that it matters much on the spread...just imitate what you are seeing.

These birds have been shot at from Canada down to Texas. This time of year they are just getting leary of any sort of spread
"I do not hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted"
Jose Ortega y Gasset

www.texasdelta.org
mallard mangler
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting