I need advice on flooding an old lake

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

To Flood or not to Flood?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Too Late in the season
No votes

Total votes : 2

I need advice on flooding an old lake

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:10 pm

If I flooded my old lake, really an old slough washout, this weekend,12-31-05, do you think the ducks will find it soon enough or before the end of the season? The slough is roughly 50 yds wide narrowing down to about 20 yds wide, and roughly 125 yds long, but is only 3-3 1/2' deep, at best and only in a small area, roughly 50 yds by 50 yds. I have the river less than 75 yds away and it runs downhill slightly from the river bank and the water would be filtered through coastal grass, hopefully minimizing the amount of mud stirred up. I can rent a pump for $75 a day that puts out 36,000 gallons per hour, which based on my calculations will take roughly 8-10 hours to fill and then maybe another 2-4 hours on sunday to replenish what soaks in, and then a final top off on monday for about 2-4 hours. I would accually get the pump for three days for $150, because monday the rental place is closed. The wood ducks and mallards love this slough because it is surrounded with pecan trees and oaks. I planted japanese millett and wild rice last year all around it, so it has plenty of food and cover for them. It is also just 3 miles from the north end of eagle mountain lake, where tons of ducks roost. There is a wetland management area just across the fence, less than 1000 yds, where there is probably several hundered nesting boxes. I am also in their immediate flight path as well. I am hoping for some input from someone who may have tried this before, Thanks in advance, Orphan
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby mallard mangler » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:04 pm

I think for the money spent it is well worth a try...especially in such a dry year where food is scarce. I personally don't think it will take very long for birds to find it but some may say that due to imprinting that many ducks may not go there for a while

I'd say roll the dice...but it aint my money
"I do not hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted"
Jose Ortega y Gasset

www.texasdelta.org
mallard mangler
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting