coastal hunting

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

coastal hunting

Postby wrp » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:48 pm

anybody been doing any good around anahuac,winnie area.i heard of some reports in trinity bay.may have to go down and give it a try.may hunt guided on thurs.thanks
wrp
hunter

Postby alducks1 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:28 am

If the bay water around Anahuac is anything like the level near West Bay, the birds will be skidding around on mud flats. These north fronts have consistently kept the water pushed out..
You can never have enough camo!
alducks1
hunter

Postby houstonhunter » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:42 pm

Was talking with TPW Biologist along thew coast and the above poster is correct about the northerns pushing or shifting the water south as well as the fact we just went through the Winter Solstice. But by next week the water should be shifting back inland. I'm planning on hunting the Coast next week when my buddy comes in from Wisconson for 4 days of Duck hunting. I may go over to Trinity bay area, if I'll do I post an update.
houstonhunter
hunter

Postby alducks1 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:07 pm

Tides in the West Bay areas are still wayyyyy out. May be some diver hunting off the open water somewhere, but the marshes are dry! :thumbsdown:
You can never have enough camo!
alducks1
hunter

Postby DucKThiS » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:22 pm

All through the holidays after finals were over I went home and limited out everytime except for two hunts where I shot 4 and 5. My last day to hunt was the day after Christmas and I shot 4 gaddies and 2 teal. I hunted one day with a guy I know that guides down by anahuac and he said they have done nothing but slaughter the widgeon off of East Bay and the geese you can't chase them out of there. I hunted Taylors Bayou and Hillebrandt by my parents house (close to J.D. Murphree and it's public) I also hunted Hankamer off of IH-10 but that stuff was private. Whatever you do when hunting Pace Tract or anywhere else on Anahuac NWR don't hunt on a cold front. North winds will always blow water out of the marsh, it's nothing new so be careful and good hunting.
DucKThiS
hunter

Postby houstonhunter » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:14 am

Can't remember, what days is Anahuac open? Is there some public area that you can get to by canoe or foot other than the normal chaeck in route?
If your decoys are wet, your gun is hot and dog is retrieving....Your life is Grand
houstonhunter
hunter

Postby DucKThiS » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:20 pm

Wednesday Saturday and Sunday....Anahuac has Middleton Tract off of 124 going towards High Island. It's a walk though so prepare yourself and check it out during the daylight.
DucKThiS
hunter

Postby houstonhunter » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:51 pm

Is it all day or A.M. only?
If your decoys are wet, your gun is hot and dog is retrieving....Your life is Grand
houstonhunter
hunter

Postby DucKThiS » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:34 pm

Gotta be out of the marsh by 12
DucKThiS
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting