Port O'Connor; San Antonio Bay, Matagoria Bay etc

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Port O'Connor; San Antonio Bay, Matagoria Bay etc

Postby reedp79 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:26 pm

Any of you guys ever hunt out of Port O'Connor in San Antonio Bay or Matagoria Bay. Ive been down to Aransas Pass to hunt out of there the past few years, but they were all guided hunts where they take you out in air boats. Im thinking of trying to hunt out of Port O'Connor in those bays in my 17' boat. Is it promising there and if so, is it deep enough in certain areas where I can get around without an Air boat to hunt from my boat. Any info on conditions or where to launch would be appreciated
reedp79
hunter

Postby alducks1 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am

You ARE kidding, right? :eek:

Lotta guides there...some seem to have reps of being a bit....possessive....about the blinds down there on public land. Best to have thick skin if you want to hunt down there( IMHO)
You can never have enough camo!
alducks1
hunter

Postby reedp79 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:22 am

Yeah, SO Ive heard, but thats why I plan to hunt out of my boat. F*** Em, Its public land right, they dont own the whole bay.
reedp79
hunter

Postby stunnerlabs » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:31 am

I have hunted P.O.C. for several years and have done well, millions of pintails. Try hopping over the I.C.W. onto one of the stock tanks and also the very back of lighthouse cove those two are very accessible by boat. I haven't had time to make it there lately but always see birds.
stunnerlabs
hunter

Postby stunnerlabs » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:35 am

Also launch at Charlies its closest to all this. You have to pay.
stunnerlabs
hunter

Postby reedp79 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:27 am

Hey stunnerlabs thanks a bunch for the great info. Thats exactly what I was looking for. It helps having some sort of idea about the area as its a long drive from Austin down there not knowing exactly where to go. SO you think Ill be allright in my duck boat? Ill have to get a map out to look for the light house and Charlies. Is Charlies in Port O and is this going to be in the Espiritu Santo Bay or Matagorda Bay? Sorry for all the questions, never been out on the bay in my own boat to hunt.

Thanks again
reedp79
hunter

Postby alducks1 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:36 pm

If the duck boat is short and lowsided, best to stay off the open Bays down there...the wind can chop up the waves into a dangerous boat ride for you. Get a recent map--the channels change.
alducks1
hunter

Postby stunnerlabs » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:30 am

Charlies is about ten miles before POC on the main drag on your right. If the bay is real bad you might have a problem going to lighthouse but the water is plenty deep across that bay (look on map). You can have luck just over the ICW going left or right and just parking your boat on the channel side. Private message me and I can give you more info.
stunnerlabs
hunter

Postby alducks1 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:07 pm

I was reading posts on another site about how some guides in airboats down that way are running over deke spreads and generally being obnoxious. Sounds like a shooting war is about to break out! :eek:
alducks1
hunter

Postby stunnerlabs » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:47 pm

I would turn them in, I know some wardens very well, don't want to lower myself to their ignorant level.
stunnerlabs
hunter

Postby SupermagSlick » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:03 pm

I might be moving down to Kingsville-how far from all the good coastal duck/goose huting will I be? Not trying to cyber scout at all-just want some ideas of where I will be. Should I move closer to Corpus?
SupermagSlick
hunter

Postby stunnerlabs » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:18 pm

There is good hunting in alot of places p.o.c. is good around matagorda but I like the rockport area not too hard to find good hunting there.
stunnerlabs
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting