Help with guide/outfitter.

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Help with guide/outfitter.

Postby krimmie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Hey guys, I'm a waterfowler from Florida, and a few buddies and I would like to come over to your side of the Gulf for a different experience. I've found a few outfits around Houston, and a couple further south near Bay City and El Campo. If anyone has been to one of these and can give a thumbs up or down, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.paradisehuntingclub.com/index.html
http://www.larrygore.com/
http://www.thirdcoastoutfitters.com/
http://www.garwoodhunt.com/

Also, there must be smaller outfits that don't come up on a google search(we have plenty down here), so any help with ma and pa outfitters would be great too. We don't need to be wined and dined, ducks, geese, and Motel 6 near food is all we need. Thanks for any input you can provide...and if ever coming over here, I can hook you up with info.
krimmie
hunter

Re: Help with guide/outfitter.

Postby Anser albifrons » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Ive hunted with Larry Gore, Circle H Outfitters and Bay Prairie Outfitters.

Based on my personal experience, Bay Prairie gets the vote.

http://www.bayprairie.com/texas/index.htm
~ BJ Duplechain
Anser albifrons
hunter

Postby krimmie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Anser albifrons wrote:Ive hunted with Larry Gore, Circle H Outfitters and Bay Prairie Outfitters.

Based on my personal experience, Bay Prairie gets the vote.

http://www.bayprairie.com/texas/index.htm

Thank you, I'll check Bay Prairie out.
krimmie
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:19 pm

i haven't hunted with third coast. i have met a few of their guys though. good fellows who know their stuff.

i have hunted garwood many times over the years. they have a great lodge, the food is better than a lot of restruants. they have some ok fields, some good fields, and a few awesome ones. the same goes for the guides, all are good some are better.

i'm curious if you have a specific you want. a species of duck or goose? a hunting style? location(rice, bay...)? that stuff would help with your options.

as far as smaller options, there is only one i have hunted in that area that i would reccomend. not fancy at all, but fun as all get out, and if birds are around they tend to find them.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby Decoy man » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:39 am

Without a doubt call Harlan Belcher 1-281-687-0624 you will not regret hunting with him. Tell hin Doug sent you.
Decoy man
hunter

Postby krimmie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

We don't hunt rice fields here, so that's probably the way we'll go. We also don't get geese down here, so any species of geese will be great. Our staple ducks are BWT and ringnecks. Thanks again.
krimmie
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:18 pm

What are you looking to kill. Not trying to deter you from the coast but check out West Texas. Search the Texas thread for my post West Texas hunt. Limits of canadians and then Sandhill cranes. One of the best hunts I've been on.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby krimmie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:11 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:What are you looking to kill. Not trying to deter you from the coast but check out West Texas. Search the Texas thread for my post West Texas hunt. Limits of canadians and then Sandhill cranes. One of the best hunts I've been on.

The boys got their heart set on the 3rd coast...you all have some ducks that are rare for us, and if we can whack a couple geese in the process...all the better. Thanks for the info though...a true goose hunt will be in the works the following year.
krimmie
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:03 pm

don't know how long you'll be here vs. days with a guide, but you may want to consider an aph. for $48, its not a bad way to spend a day you wouldnt get to hunt.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:19 am

aggiechiro wrote:don't know how long you'll be here vs. days with a guide, but you may want to consider an aph. for $48, its not a bad way to spend a day you wouldnt get to hunt.

+2 it's a good way to get out on your own and tons of public land along the coast.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby krimmie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:09 pm

What is an aph?
krimmie
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:59 am

aph= annual public hunting
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby krimmie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:20 pm

aggiechiro wrote:aph= annual public hunting

I get ya.
Wonder how much it will cost to fly my buddy's airboat over? :smile:
krimmie
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:19 pm

krimmie wrote:
aggiechiro wrote:aph= annual public hunting

I get ya.
Wonder how much it will cost to fly my buddy's airboat over? :smile:

theres a straight shot of water from your state to mine. just gas it up REALLY good.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby txcstquackwkr » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:01 am

really if your gonna be hunting with 3rd cst and gonna be here a couple extra days dont worry bout the boat so much or the aph if you plan on a bay hunt there is no need for either if you wanna know more just pm me and i'll give you a few more details
txcstquackwkr
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:51 pm

Don't waste your time on a quick trip with an APH permit, you'll never get it scouted in time to have a great hunt. I guess my question would be "what do you want to shoot"? If you really want to do something memorable with some mag. cover photo shoots with quality birds ...

I know Circle H personally and they kill a lot of duck of mixed variety ... Scott hunts the Copano Bay area pretty heavily near Refugio. I hunted with Scott personally for a couple of years. He used to have some of the best duck habitat I've ever seen ... loaded with canvasback, mallard, wood duck, and pintail but the landowner took a tax exemption and turned it into a refuge.

If you want to shoot red heads, bufflehead, goldeneye and pintails on the coast ... Bay Flats Waterfowl is top notch and has some excellent facilities based on Seadrift. But he's one of the "super majors" of duck entertainment.

If you want a praire hunt (in a stones throw from the bay) for gadwall, cinnamon teal, widgeon and pintail ... hunt with Capt. Dwayne Lowery. I know him personally as well and you'll not beat his pricing. He's in Seadrift as well, in fact ... he was at my house last weekend drinking beer, eating crawfish ... pissed off that I bought a boat. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ... but seriously ... I've never killed less than a limit with him. Totally mom and pop ... 100%, and if you want bay ducks, he'll do that too.

I've heard of 3rd coast ... but don't know anything about him.

Gore's glory days are pretty much over man. He's shafted a lot of folks on "quality snow goose hunts" that never materialized and leased a bunch of property to guys who's "fields never got flooded" and has really become kind of a lease broker.

If you need any referals or numbers let me know.
Last edited by Pouledeau on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby krimmie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks for the reply...we're down to 2 outfitters on our list, one in Bay city, the other out of Port Lavaca. I sent you a PM for more specifics.
krimmie
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:02 am

PM returned ... check out Coastal Prairie as well ... http://www.coastalprairieoutdoors.com/

I haven't personally hunted with these guys ... YET, but I hear very good things and have seen the bed of two trucks coming out of the field completely loaded with specks and widgeon. Good luck. And if you ever come down for a solo trip let me know ... I've got some deep freshwater marsh I can put you on, but space is limited ... I'm not going to shoot it up, too many canvasbacks use it to roost.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Blackjackduckhunter » Wed May 04, 2011 1:22 am

I hunted with Larry Gore last day of season last year. 4 of us limted on ducks.

Hunted with him over the years and killed more geese than you see on his website. I undestand they take very few hunters anymore so its hard to get in with them. The comment I saw written above I have never heard from anyone who actually hunted with them? Maybe so, but my experinces have been above expectations and nothing but excellent results. Over 25 years I have hunted with him!

Just what I have seen and done, nothing more.

BlackJack Duck HUnter!
Blackjackduckhunter
Newb

Postby Pouledeau » Thu May 05, 2011 8:04 am

I'm not trying to dog your boy there and I certainly believe you can kill ducks with him ... but for me it isn't about a "limit" as much as it is about business ethics.

I've leased property on the prairie since 1986, three times from "the guide above" ('97, '01. '02), and two of those times were enough to warrant giving my money to someone else. He puts his paying customers on the X and the people leasing get the short straw gamble of perhaps having water perhaps not. After my last no water second split hunt on his property, I got invited by Halliburton to go on a guided hunt with "the man himself" on a property just down the road ... guess what ... flooded timber, flooded prairie, birds coming off roost like quail 100 at a time, and guides bragging about having the water the paid lease members next door were supposed to have.

What would your opinion be in that circumstance? Maybe he's changed, but he's not "Mom and Pop" ...

As far as productiveness is concerned, if you've been on the prairie for as long as you say; surely you've noticed that 75% of the rice is now subdivisions. YES you can still have productive hunts ... but they're NOTHING like they used to be in terms of quality.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby krimmie » Thu May 05, 2011 8:09 pm

Choosing a guide was a tougher process than I thought it would be. Ironically, a member of our Florida waterfowl org. had used a guide last year and gave him great reviews...so we decided to go with his hands on experience. There are seven of us so far heading to Coastal Wings out of Bay City; we'll be hunting geese in the morning and ducks in the afternoon for two days, then either ducks or geese on our final morning. None of us have hunted Texas before, so we're pretty excited. Thanks for all the help.
krimmie
hunter

Postby flightstopper » Thu May 05, 2011 11:44 pm

Pouledeau wrote:I'm not trying to dog your boy there and I certainly believe you can kill ducks with him ... but for me it isn't about a "limit" as much as it is about business ethics.

I've leased property on the prairie since 1986, three times from "the guide above" ('97, '01. '02), and two of those times were enough to warrant giving my money to someone else. He puts his paying customers on the X and the people leasing get the short straw gamble of perhaps having water perhaps not. After my last no water second split hunt on his property, I got invited by Halliburton to go on a guided hunt with "the man himself" on a property just down the road ... guess what ... flooded timber, flooded prairie, birds coming off roost like quail 100 at a time, and guides bragging about having the water the paid lease members next door were supposed to have.

What would your opinion be in that circumstance? Maybe he's changed, but he's not "Mom and Pop" ...

As far as productiveness is concerned, if you've been on the prairie for as long as you say; surely you've noticed that 75% of the rice is now subdivisions. YES you can still have productive hunts ... but they're NOTHING like they used to be in terms of quality.

I held off on posting because I don't like to badmouth outfitters but this was similar to my experience with Third Coast last year. The leased hunters were poorly managed and the daily guys hunting with the guides had much better property to hunt. One time we were double booked and had 8 people in one small blind and other days we were sent to fields that guided hunters shot good numbers out of a few days prior and not see a bird in the sky. After many trips down there if we even saw a few birds you could consider it a good trip after sitting on hunted out fields....
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
flightstopper
hunter

Postby haiden mensik » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:51 pm

I guide for Boars and More Outfitters. www.boarsandmore.com
Check the website out and if you like what you see give us a try. We averaged 4 birds a person 2010-2011 season. The lodge is located outside Halletsville,TX. We have ponds/rice fields/reservoirs all over the prairie totaling at 30,000 acres.
You can email me for more info -mensikhaiden@yahoo.com
haiden mensik
Newb

Return to Texas Duck Hunting