Lake Somerville?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Lake Somerville?

Postby Old Man » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:48 pm

I drove my daughter back to A&M today and our route took us a few miles north of the north end of Lake Somerville. I saw a number of large flocks of ducks flying in the area. I don't know if they were using the lake or coming off the local ponds and tanks. But it got me wondering if that might be a good lake to scout for next season. Has anyone ever hunted out there before?
Old Man
hunter

Postby TexasGeese » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:19 pm

hunted out there this morning. Shot 1 shoveler. Nothing else came in the decoys. Past 2 hunts have resulted in 2 birds. We got drawn for a blind close to the dam, but the flights of ducks have been lack luster. There's a very early flight, then if your lucky a few will trickle in around 9-10. No steady action, at least on the north end where we hunt.
TexasGeese
hunter

Postby mossyducks » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:44 pm

I have hunted out at Somerville periodically this season. It was definitely a lot better before the split. Today and Monday were just ok for me... I know there were some guys down lake of me who sounded like they were killing some birds. I saw very few flights and only a couple wanted into my spread. All is well though I am headed back to our private spot up in NE Texas

mossyducks
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting