How dangerous for a dog at choke canyon?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

How dangerous for a dog at choke canyon?

Postby deddux » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:35 pm

I want to take my 1 year old lab with me tomorrow on her first huntin at Choke Canyon, but I am pretty concerned about gators. Should I be?
deddux
Newb

Postby stunnerlabs » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:54 am

Their in there but I am not worried. I've hunted there for years and never had a problem, guess some people just have bad luck.
stunnerlabs
hunter

Postby TCUDuckHunter » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:36 am

hey guys,
give me your email address and i'll send you pics showing you why you should be worried. these are pics i took a couple of weeks ago. Got me worried enough to take a boat down there tommorrow. It's no joke, 10 and 14 feet, same day
TCUDuckHunter
hunter

Postby stunnerlabs » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:40 pm

I have my own pictures. I have seen large gators and I have also fished with them 20 yards from me at the coast more than once. I had one just off the bank at choke but still not worried.
stunnerlabs
hunter

Postby TXskilletwacker » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:01 am

stunner, you must have some really good luck, huge faith or just a big set of conchos! :eek: i don't have any history on choke, but from the stories i've heard and the gators i've seen in my neck of the woods..."yikes, watch your toes boys!"

i'd be leery of putting my dog in that type of situation, kinda gambling with a big investment! :smile: but i guess you wouldn't have 'em if you didn't want to use 'em!
if i could make a scented candle, i'd make call it... gunpowder in the sunrise! or wet dog, swamp mud and gun smoke!
TXskilletwacker
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting