Keechi Creek WMA?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Keechi Creek WMA?

Postby TXskilletwacker » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:37 am

Hey guys, anyone heard/know of how crowded this place (Keechi Creek WMA) gets during hunting season? I know most WMA's stay overrun with barneys, got any 0.02?

Please know, I'm not trying to cyberscout or take your spot, just want to hear if any of you fellas have any experience there.

Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

....Going out with a bang!
if i could make a scented candle, i'd make call it... gunpowder in the sunrise! or wet dog, swamp mud and gun smoke!
TXskilletwacker
hunter

Postby DuckButter » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:55 am

Not totally sure but I think you have to get in a drawing to hunt there.
DuckButter
hunter

Postby TXskilletwacker » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:54 am

I had read something like that on the TPWD site. wasn't sure though, it's as clear as mud to me. that was sort of why i had brought it up to see what you guys knew about it.

thanks DuckButter, i'll keep checking into it. :thumbsup:
if i could make a scented candle, i'd make call it... gunpowder in the sunrise! or wet dog, swamp mud and gun smoke!
TXskilletwacker
hunter

Postby Old Man » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:55 pm

It is only hunted by post card selection ( a drawing). The dead line for entry was 12-1-05. Hunt dates were Jan. 4, 11, 18, & 25th. I don't know if they have a "stand by" program like they do on some of there other drawn hunts (ex. deer hunts). You might give them a call to see if you can go stanb by. I have never hunted there.
Old Man
hunter

Postby TXskilletwacker » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:50 am

hey thanks old man, you've been a great help! have you known anyone who has been drawn for a hunt there or that type of hunt?

i appreciate your help! :yes:
TXskilletwacker
hunter

Postby Old Man » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:23 pm

No, I don't know of anyone who has hunted out there. Years ago I entered drawings to hunt pheasant at Granger WMA. Got drawn a few times, but also went stand by a few times and was allowed to hunt when, when hunters who were drawn were no shows. A friend of mind has also gone stand by on some of the WMA's that offer deer hunting down in south Texas.
Old Man
hunter

Postby TXskilletwacker » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:34 pm

cool, thanks Old Man! I'll look into that for next year...since i have months and months until it comes around again!

have a safe off season! :salude:
TXskilletwacker
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting