Midlothian End-of-Season Hunt

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Midlothian End-of-Season Hunt

Postby cvcduckhunter6 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:22 pm

Just wondering how everyone did out there this past weekend, mine was cut short a day due to a visit to Texas A&M. But we did well, shot 11 ducks between 4 hunters. Consisting of 1 gadwall, 1 blue-winged teal, and 9 ringnecks. I have shot basically all ringnecks this season, i mean its all good but i wouldnt mind some color. Respond with how yall did.
cvcduckhunter6
hunter

Postby TXskilletwacker » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:42 pm

only got to hunt Friday morning, killed 3 BWT, 1 GWT and 1 Widgeonus. Not too shabby, really slow however! Most of the guys I have talked with this weekend were not much more successful!
if i could make a scented candle, i'd make call it... gunpowder in the sunrise! or wet dog, swamp mud and gun smoke!
TXskilletwacker
hunter

Postby huntingrdr » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:28 pm

My dad just bought some property in Midlothian today, he signed the papers. I have not hunted out there yet but will next duck season. It is off of 287 on old fort worth Road. It has a 50 acre lake out there, how is the hunting out that way been this year?

Robert
huntingrdr
hunter

Postby cvcduckhunter6 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:21 pm

Well my friend's grandparents have a place out there and we went only once. But the time we went it was pretty dang good, not much shooting going on over there, so the birds arent real skittish, ya know. But yea man i enjoyed it and saw all sorts of birds, good luck to ya!
cvcduckhunter6
hunter

Postby huntingrdr » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:58 pm

I am not real sure how to hunt open water like that, but I am sure I will find out. Did you guys hunt a small pond or a lake?
huntingrdr
hunter

Postby cvcduckhunter6 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:06 pm

We hunted two small ponds divided by a dam, it worked out real well cause we sat on one side of the damn and just waited til teh commited and then we just stood up. I liked the idea, but yea hunting that kinda of stuff, u kind of have to have a medium sized spread. They kind of already have an idea that they r gona land there since their arent any other places to feed. I just call once and they come straight in.
cvcduckhunter6
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting