NOOB

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

NOOB

Postby BHUNTER » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:03 am

i ma new to duck hunting and i would like some information please, i am not new to hunting in general. i have a couple of questions and they are;

i will be walking into the hunting area until i can afford a boat of somekind

1) what gear would i need?
i have the following: clothing, guns, decoys, and waders

2)how many calls will i need?
BHUNTER
hunter

come on

Postby BHUNTER » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:21 pm

COME ON PEOPLE YOU DID NOT SQUIRT OUT OF THE WOMB WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO HUNT, THESE ARE SIMPLE QUESTIONS.
BHUNTER
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:10 pm

done
Last edited by orphanedcowboy on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby dav42070 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:33 pm

Dog if no dog then maybe a fishing pole if your hunting where the birds might float off. some kinda blind maybe as far as calls go I would suggest the DC mallard drake call and any old hen mallard call will do as long as you can blow it. face net or paint I would usually take a 5 gallon bucket to sit on and fill the bucket up with all my crap calls/shells/facenet/zipties then stick the bucket in the decoy bag to free up a hand. the bucket works well in the mudd for sitting. as far as the blind goes Iused a 15 ft peice of that cerex stuff you can stuff it in the decoy sack also. then carry 2 6ft peices of 1/2 in metal conduit. put a sling on your gun and your set.
dav42070
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:28 pm

i posted then i realized that you already had everything i listed... except for a drake whistle (till you learn to call) :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Old Man » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:09 pm

I hunt mostly along the coast and am a walk in hunter, so your needs may be different then mine, but this is what I take:

Shotgun sling

Walking stick (actually a replacement handle for a push broom) - an absloute must when walking or wading in sticky mud.

Sled/Tote - I found that is much easier to put my gear into a tote and drag it to my hunting area. The tote will float in just inches of water. I have 2; a small one (it is actually a mortar mixing tub) that is 2' x 3' that is about 9" deep, that weighs about 5 lbs. It can carry about 20 decoys and the rest of my gear. I got it at Lowes for $12.00. My large one, that I got from Cablea's, is 2' x 50", is 9" deep, but weighs 12 lbs. It can carry twice as many decoys and a lot more stuff. My sled/totes are worth their weight in gold to me.

Decoys - I only use water keel decoys, because they are lighter and easier to carry.

Dry bag - In my dry bag I carry my shells, head light, bug spray, etc.

Dove Hunting Folding Stool - Went to Academy and bought a $5.00 dove stool. I cut away the zipper compartment, leaving only the seat. Then drill 2 hole in the top part of the frame, so that I could drain the water out when I was done hunting.

Blind Material - I made a couple of 3' panel with stakes on each end so that I could stick them into the gound. I doctored up the panels by attaching some bursh or cane.

Calls - I carry 3: a mallard call, a 4 in 1 whistle call (for teal, widgons, & pintails) by Haydel, and a Haydel Blue wing teal call. We get a lot of teal along the coast.

I put everything into my tote, and hold it in place with a couple of bungee cords.
Good Luck and good hunting!
Old Man
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:45 pm

Hey orphanedcowboy! where is that land that your talkin about? And where in fortworth do you live? I know its a lil late for this year but next year we should try to go together. I would love a chance at some redheads and canvasbacks. We have some private land down near Athens. Just got a good controlled duck pond that is 18 acres of water. We are draining it this spring and planting corn and getting a lot of the natural vegitation to grow in it. Not to mention we have a 28 acre beaver pond that had about 55 ducks on it this last day of season.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:16 am

I live on the East side of Eagle Mountain Lake, but my property is on the north end of the lake, about 5 miles north west of the tip of the lake. I little 1/2 acre slough right on the Trinity river that is surounded by pecan trees, and a 1 acre tank about a 1/2 mile away. the tank gets lots of divers, and the slough gets the puddlers. The slough was dry this year, and I should have flooded it, but I waited to late. I bought a pump, so I will be flooding the slough around july, and keeping it full throughout the season. I have in the past had over 50-60 woodies on this slough out feeding on the pecans. I'll pm ya my phone number, don't want to jack the thread. I would love to get together and hunt with anyone on this forum, would help to lower the pressure on all our water.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

THANK YOU

Postby BHUNTER » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:46 am

orphan i got your message sent you one back thanks.
BHUNTER
hunter

thank you

Postby BHUNTER » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:50 am

thank you everyone for your input, if ever you need just ask.
BHUNTER
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting