You get the dog i'll get the boat

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Postby SATX duckman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:12 pm

So jumping into the new season I made a deal with a friend. You buy the dog, I will buy the boat and in the long run we should break about even. Considering expenses for each we felt it was a good trade off. The search for a pup was on. Within two weeks he was the proud new owner of a 6 week old chocolate lab. More on those trials and tribulations later.

My end of the split was the boat. It was with luck that I knew someone that had a boat sitting in a stock tank on a family members property just waiting to have some use put in it. It was a 1974 Monark jon boat. 14 footer with a trailer. Bam i'm in luck. Without even looking I had just aquired a boat and trailer for $200. Could it get any better? He my buddy was going to drop at a minimum $500 for a new pup. Not including shots, food, and need such as a kennel dog bowls etc. Here I am way ahead out of the gate. My friend brings the $200 boat to his property sends me pics and i'm eager to get out and see it in person. After going through forums online and searches i've got it all planned out. I will strip the boat to bare metal. Steelflex the bottom. Rhino line the interior cut the center bench out and start my search for a motor. I dont really need anything big since its such a small boat. On the day I go to inspect the boat everything is running through my mind as i look her over dreaming of the sky going black as the ducks flock to our location by the hundreds. So you have everything??? I ask him. "yes" he replies, ok where is the title? I ask. "Umm there isnt one."
Lesson 1 learned. If its to good to be true it is. Damn. So a few searches later and calls into my local TPWD office I decided to pass on the dream Monark boat and trailer and search for another boat. I know I know. It is possible to obtain a skip title but really do I want to search and send certified letters all over the state trying to track down people? No. Luck will have it the search was back on and the $200 was back in my pocket. Seeing my buddy at work he tells me that after the 6 week old choc lab hit about 4 months his wife feels I got the better end of the deal as he has chewed off every corner of their deck and decided that the fiber optic cable in their back yard tasted well worth the cost of replacing it. We have both owned labs before so this is the reason i decided to go with the boat. About a months worth of searching online and reading forums and reviews I decided on a local purchase that I just happened to come across by chance. Being from San Antonio I opened the search for boats on craigslist from San Angelo to Deep west Texas and from Dallas to Brownsville. In the Dallas craigslist I find a listing for a 2011 16' Weldbilt modified V-hull right here in San Antonio. The boat has a 30 hp mercury on the back, a galvanized trailer and TITLES for all in hand. He had other odds and ends he threw in to sweeten the deal like a trolling motor, gas tanks ice chests all the way to extra lifevests. Now the big kicker the cost. Lets just say it was more then the Monark by far and my buddy is light years ahead of me financially. The gentleman I purchased it from went with me to the TPWD office to complete the transaction which was a big plus I feel as I know I'm getting a good clean title boat, motor and trailer. I was also able to contact the place he purchased it from (being a one owner boat) just to confirm everything before actually buying it.

Id like to use this forum as a way to chart the experiences we have and get any insight you may have about the way we are going about things. That and hopefully give you a few laughs too after you read something and think yep I did that same thing the first time. It will be something for two guys returning to duck hunting after many years away from it to see how much has changed and how much we really need to learn about getting ducks out of the sky and onto our plates.

Next for me building the blind for our boat.
Him getting a dog trained up fore retrieving our downed birds.
SATX duckman
hunter

Re: You get the dog i'll get the boat

Postby CutEm214 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:17 pm

Well I'd say you chose the better option of the two...in case of a falling out, you could always go pick up your own birds...but I doubt your buddy would be willing to swim to any of your spots. :welcome:
CutEm214
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 am

BOAT

Bust Out Another Thousand.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby SATX duckman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Well yes its true BOAT bust out another thousand.
After looking at the amount of time left till teal season I'm really in a push to get things done. It was time to design and build the blind for the boat. There is lots of help online and some designs are better than others. What is it that is most important when it comes to making a duck blind for you boat? In the end you are there to "harvest" ducks so that makes concealment a top priority. If not why not just take an old bass boat out with a guy and dog and hope that the ducks wont recognize you as a threat and land right in range of every shot you take. Next I guess would be how easily you can put the blind up and down in the dark. Whats the point of building a blind if you need the daylight and 30 minutes to get it up? I paid for a guided hunt once before and was so pissed that he had taken everyone out to put in blinds and left two of us behind. Nothing will make your blood boil more then leaning up against a tailgate while you hear shots being fired knowing that others at taking em while you still wait for a ride to the blind. It was nice arriving to the blind with the sun up so we could see where we put everything but thats what I brought a flashlight for. Not going to make that mistake again.
So armed a few days ago with a home depot card and all of the knowledge I could gather from the world wide web I walked into the big orange box ready to do some damage. First stop eletronics the conduit isle. It seemed to me that people had good luck with conduit as their frames for blinds. I decided in 3/4 over 1/2 because I know at some point in time someone is going to stand up lean a little to far foreward and lean on the blind to save them from toppling over. Hopefully the extra $4.00 I spent on 10' 3/4" rods will payoff then as it will most likely be myself. It was a great design in the store. Drill into the boat, anchor the rods in the front right onto the raised platform and on the rear right into the top of the storage box on one side and the live well on the other. Seeing as how this is my first boat it sounded logical. Its times like these that its good to have a boat owner with you. There was my other blind builder talking to me about things like resale value and how its never good to put a hole in a boat. People that go looking to buy a used boat kinda frown upon purchasing a boat with holes all over it. There it was our first modification. Opting instead for 4X4s over drilling directly into the boat itself. This allowed me not only to be able to avoid putting holes in my new boat but also allows me to remove the blind completely and either use the boat just for fishing with no pieces of a blind to step over. We can also remove the blind and use it on land if we are in need of concealment a little further inland. I feel its a pretty huge plus. It is a few 90's and few more camo nets (to cover the entire boat) away from being completed but you are able to see how its going. Not to bad I think for a first time blind build. The blind length is 11' and height is 55" at its highest. From there the cover in the front is waist height (may go higher for more concealment). I am thinking that three will be able to hunt pretty easily without being stacked on top of each other and giving each of us a lane for shooting. Seeing as how its my boat I will always be on one of the ends.
For land use we envisioned taking the 4x4 flipping it over and driving the metal posts into the ground for stability. then just assembling the blind like normal. Pack up and assembly should be about 5 minutes. Just unroll the camo netting from our cross members and connect the 90s at each end to the verticle conduit already in the 4X4 boards. Then wrap the boat with excess netting over bow and stern attach the dog ramp (yet to be built) and we are hunting. I'll get a better pic up once its complete. This was all done in one really long day with the help of two others. Designed and built blind, repacked trailer bearings and redid trailer lights. The blind was easy enough for one person to do on their own in one day depending on your carpentry skills.

The materials list was as follows:

Cabelas: 1 trip as its an hour drive each way
2 12'X56" advantage max 4 camo nets $27 a piece. Still need more. I was able to find 30'X56" on amazon.com in the same pattern for $50

Home Depot: 2 trips and still need one more!
2 4x4x8 treated lumber posts (these were cut to match the angles of the boat in the front and rear to keep it from moving)
8 1"x6" double male posts ( we drilled into the 4x4s and lowered these in to add more stability as the conduit just slides right down into the holes we cut in the wood. This gives us 10" of support vs 4" to prevent leaning or swaying int the wind. Seems to hold pretty good)
6 10'X3/4 " conduit poles
6 conduit 3/4" 90s to hold it all together

Tell me what you think. I'm interested what you would of done different or if there is anything we have left out.
Attachments
BOAT BLIND 3_crop.jpg
BOAT BLIND 4_crop.jpg
BOAT BLIND 2_crop.jpg
(10.27 KiB) Downloaded 2020 times
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Ahhh you got your boat. Looks good :thumbsup:
Barney#1
hunter

Postby Rob Robertson » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Looks way to tall too me.
Rob Robertson
hunter

Postby Joel » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Looks just about right too me. Looks good
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby RShockley » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:38 am

Rob Robertson wrote:Looks way to tall too me.

I'm guessing the tall part is the back for cover.
RShockley
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:13 am

RShockley wrote:
Rob Robertson wrote:Looks way to tall too me.

I'm guessing the tall part is the back for cover.

Even at that, look at it in relation to the chair sitting in the boat. To the OP, you may want to saw that thing down 2-3 feet. Its going to be really hard to break up that tall of a profile.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby Hardy776 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:06 am

Coming from exp. crazy Matt is 100% correct
Hardy776
Newb

Postby SATX duckman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:26 am

Well I have read the advice and will make the changes that we need to. I"m thinking also that a lower profile will be easier to conceal. Its coming along nicely though and getting ready for good times early in the morning and evening for that matter.

On another note did some scouting yesterday heading out at 4am to catch sun up to see whats going on ahead of this front that blew in. Wasn't looking good at all. Two boats out on the water there wasnt anything really going. Hopefully returning next week will prove yesterday was a fluke but i'm not so sure. I'm thinking the coast will be plan B. The good news was that several stumps tried to ruin the boats and motors but we were able to come out somewhat unscathed. Water is down so things change for sure.
anyone else with any luck on scouting???
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Just use the boat for transportation to your spot, ditch it, and hide in the natural cover!! Boat blinds are a wate of time, waste of money, and birds will still flare!

I've always said and truly believe, "If you have to hunt out of a boat, you're hunting in the wrong spot!"

And yes, I own a boat...

Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby overcorn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Mojo281 wrote:Just use the boat for transportation to your spot, ditch it, and hide in the natural cover!! Boat blinds are a wate of time, waste of money, and birds will still flare!

I've always said and truly believe, "If you have to hunt out of a boat, you're hunting in the wrong spot!"

And yes, I own a boat...

Those are some sweet pics man
overcorn
Newb

Postby Pouledeau » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:15 pm

overcorn wrote:
Mojo281 wrote:Just use the boat for transportation to your spot, ditch it, and hide in the natural cover!! Boat blinds are a wate of time, waste of money, and birds will still flare!

And yes, I own a boat...

Just wait till January ... !
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:50 am

overcorn wrote:
Mojo281 wrote:I've always said and truly believe, "If you have to hunt out of a boat, you're hunting in the wrong spot!"

And yes, I own a boat...

Thanks man!! Plenty more... All killed by using boat for transportation, not as a blind!!

Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Well the proof is in the pictures for sure. Looks like a good take of government property. Hope the preparations are coming to a head soon for everyone we are only a few days out. Hoping the scouting is going well for you guys also.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Well as it goes you cant expect to strike it rich your first time out. Or you second for that matter. Having tried a local lake twice with no luck it was time to move on to a place where we knew there would be ducks for sure. Being a firefighter I knew there were others in the same line of work that would be duck hunters, I just wasnt sure which ones. It was a call to a previous Chief that i knew fished the coast that led me to the places i have found. The past two years I hunted the coast with some friends as a weekend trip. Got together drank some and paid a "guide" to drop us off at a blind then leave us to fend for ourselves. Here we were paying a guy $100 each to get a ride on his air boat. I know they are expensive boats but a guided hunt i figured would be more along the lines of him sitting with us and calling ducks in. It wasnt a total loss though cause i knew where i need to go to get birds. My chief along with one on here that hunted the coast and allowed me to bounce locations off of him narrowed our search. It was amazing. So many birds as we drove by that it was hard waiting to pull in launch the boat and get to them. Having woken up at 3am twice to strike out and here we were at 3pm pulling up well rested in the light to set up it was nice. We ended up pulling into an area where I had seen birds eating not necessarily ducks and i knew we would be in a good spot. They birds were eating something that the ducks would want a piece of also. We could see them in the distance a few hundred yards away so were were close enough. Being rookies we decided to make the trip from the boat the to hunting location in two trips. That is take guns and ammo first then go back and get the decoys. We it was hell trying to get to the spot so we almost ditched going back for the decoys. As we sat there with no action i told my buddy we needed to go and try to set them up. So walking back and sinking knee deep in muck we made to the boat again retrieved our decoys and set them up. It goes without being said that we are not experts on setting out decoy spreads but with about 4 dozon we did out best to put up a landing spot for them. Also we learned it was easier walking in the water versus the island itself. After the spread was up the ducks were like mosquitos trying to get at us in the jungle. Holy Cow they were everywhere coming in wave after wave. With more hunters we would of put a serious hurt on the reds. As it ended we took 4 reds and two wigeon. Went back the next day and got 4 more reds then packed up and headed home. Fried duck the next day at work with gravy mashed taters and green beans. Only had one guy bite down on a bb.

For those those that commented on the duck blind that was being built it is finished. We did end up going lower and will use those low seating beach chairs to sit on. Also my buddy came across a ton of felt fabric so we stitched (yes a man sewed) it to the camo netting that we already had to make it non transparent. Also it will add some protecton from the wind if we need it. We were able to cover from the bow to the stern including the motor. It took about 12 hours of hand stitching but it was well worth it. The blind looks awsome. total concealment. we can even cover the opening if we want. added some buttons in a few places to secure it.

Now just need help and experience in identifing ducks as they are coming in so we can pick out other species before the are on top of us and we will be good to go. All in due time though. That is what it is all about. Hopefully by the time my boys come of age I will be able to pass down all I have learned to them and they will enjoy duck hunting also. Pretty sure thats what this is all about. Till then if you see two bald guys at the coast stop by tell us hello. Perhaps we could set up to keep the ducks pushing back and forth between us, get our limits then sit back and enjoy watching ducks do what they do.
Attachments
photo_crop.jpg
(8.06 KiB) Downloaded 1161 times
duckblind_crop.jpg
(10.59 KiB) Downloaded 1161 times
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:10 pm

:thumbsup: Glad you finally got on some birds.
I think I know first hand why you were having so much trouble :lol3:
Location!
Barney#1
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Well its that time again. Leaving my house today i saw two dove that had been hit by a car in my neighborhood. One down for sure one needed to be finished off. I jumped out pulled off its head and was dreaming just for a second man i'm ready to shoot some of these. That being said I've checked in some through the summer to see what is going on in here. Not being much on fishing i didnt have much to say. Time to start setting up for next year. Adding some carpet lights and a dog ramp to the boat this off season. Question i have is anyone ever put a sub floor in a boat? The reason would be to stash decoys for the ride out and back. With two other guys a dog and 10 dozen decoys my 16' boat gets cramped really quickly. Its even more interesting on the way back. Also anyone hunt out of a kayak??? I'm considering throwing around the idea of buying one to be able to really set up right in the middle of all the action.

Other news. at the last hunt of the season our lab was ready to go. Since then the dog was involved in an accident and shattered his femur. About $6000 later the dog is now part bionic but still ready to rock. Being so young hoping to get many good years out of it still. Hard to cut your losses when it has become a family pet.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:49 am

10 dozen deeks :eek: you have aquired quite a few deeks after one year.
That time indeed. Starting to get the itch myself. Plan on hunting the coast this year since little has changed from last season. I was down there last week checking out boat ramps and locations.
You were asking about the kayak. I have one I use for hunting but I just use it for small setup hunts to get to the spots, set decoys, and for retrieving downed birds. I do not actually sit in it and hunt. I almoat shot a cripple last season in it but chickened out in fear of rolling over in deep water while wearing waders.
Barney#1
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting