Lake Ray Roberts WMA

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Lake Ray Roberts WMA

Postby Duckdaddy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:34 pm

I'm new to Fort Worth. I've tried going out to the Lake Ray Roberts WMa but got caught in the rain. Has anyone been out there this year...any luck?
Duckdaddy
hunter

Postby rmc3hunt » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:20 pm

I am from Denton and I went out there over thanksgiving, I didn't see any ducks, I think they will be there for sure around Christmas time. I went out there last year a few times and saw a lot of ducks and geese. The trick is to drive around out on the country roads and finc public hunting land entrances, they are out there you just have to find them.
rmc3hunt
Newb

Postby shocktroop » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:56 pm

Theres a great WMA up the road. Take 380 out of denton heading to McKinney and when you get into crossroads/little elm area, look for 377 N
I think it's 377, the road that goes smack through pilot point, aubrey, tioga ect........just before you get to collinsville look for Hogtown rd on the right, it winds back to a few good spots for mallards and woodies. Please excuse my directions....I'm from that area but driven it all my life but can't think of the road names to save my life. Better yet, if you have the annual public hunting book, it's on there, on the ray roberts page, on the far east side of the lake, just look for hogtown rd. I hunted it allot last year with great results, never saw anyone else out there, great place for small game to if you take a kid along.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby stevezilla » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:01 am

Ray Roberts
Do you need to have any type of permit to hunt up there (other than your normal license).
stevezilla
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:57 am

you need the Public land permit, I think it's 48$$ from anywhere they sell hunting licenses.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby Duckdaddy » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:16 am

Went out scouting this past weekend and found a whole lot of ducks on the water around 3:00. Everything was at the northern sections of the lake adjacent to the Waterfowl sanctuary. I'm going to try it out this weekend and will let you know what it produces.
It's all about the D's: Duck, Dove, Deer
Duckdaddy
hunter

Access

Postby beatbucs » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:41 am

How are you accessing the area near the waterfowl sanctuary? ARe you boating in or walking in? What road point are you driving in on? Sorry so many questions just not having a very good season at RR thus far to the point I am thinking I am moving lakes...possiblity Tawakoni.
beatbucs
Newb

Postby Duckdaddy » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:26 pm

Walking in. County road 3002..on the map, once it clears the 1st section of the lake there are 2 other county roads going back south. I am entering in there and walking throught eh water back toward the sanctuary. I just get in where I can on areas that look ducky. Also CR 972 (?) just down the road produced alot of ducks around 3:00 in the afternoon but not very good during hunting hours.
Duckdaddy
hunter

Postby Duckdaddy » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:27 pm

Walking in. County road 3002..on the map, once it clears the 1st section of the lake there are 2 other county roads going back south. I am entering in there and walking throught eh water back toward the sanctuary. I just get in where I can on areas that look ducky. Also CR 972 (?) just down the road produced alot of ducks around 3:00 in the afternoon but not very good during hunting hours.
Duckdaddy
hunter

Ray Roberts

Postby beatbucs » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:37 am

I went back to Ray Roberts and hunted the north end with no luck again. So I went to Tawakoni out of frustration. Hunted the north end off of 34. Skunked. Couldn't believe it.

I am wondering if Ray Roberts has picked up any? :thumbsdown:
beatbucs
Newb

Postby Duckdaddy » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:50 pm

Limit hunt this weekend. tons of ducks.
Duckdaddy
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting