Ethics question on guide decoys left out in the marsh

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Re: Ethics question on guide decoys left out in the marsh

Postby frydaddy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:57 am

some of those blinds were not built by guides but buy people who still have that owner ship mentality!! what i find interesting is some of the guides on these forums havent thrown their 2cents in on this topic.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:36 am

stumpjumper1590 wrote:With that many (blinds) one of them is gonna get lonely eventually :thumbsup:

So do you hunt the empty blind without the decoys? Or the empty blind with the engagement ring, errr ah, decoys ...

fry - I think we all can agree with that statement, but a couple things: I don't think your average duck hunter is going to leave his dekes out and also, I could be wrong, but I don't think that the guides that frequent this site are "that guy". They're all over on 2cool talking about who had the best scaup hunt last weekend.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:04 am

Pouledeau wrote:
stumpjumper1590 wrote:With that many (blinds) one of them is gonna get lonely eventually :thumbsup:

So do you hunt the empty blind without the decoys? Or the empty blind with the engagement ring, errr ah, decoys ...

fry - I think we all can agree with that statement, but a couple things: I don't think your average duck hunter is going to leave his dekes out and also, I could be wrong, but I don't think that the guides that frequent this site are "that guy". They're all over on 2cool talking about who had the best scaup hunt last weekend.

You can now shoot 6 so I'd be excited as well.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby bjepsen85 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:27 am

Scaups! Shoot 6 Scaups and burn the blind down!! And the deeks! woohoo! Duck hunting rox!!! :grooving: :grooving: :grooving:
bjepsen85
hunter

Postby CCducker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:38 am

I just wrote half a novel to post up in this and it didnt post...I think I spent 30 minutes on that thing. COME ON! :mad:
The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby CCducker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 am

bjepsen85 wrote:Scaups! Shoot 6 Scaups and burn the blind down!! And the deeks! woohoo! Duck hunting rox!!! :grooving: :grooving: :grooving:

Now that there is some fine eating! :drool:
The Producers

I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 am

CCducker wrote:I just wrote half a novel to post up in this and it didnt post...I think I spent 30 minutes on that thing. COME ON! :mad:

All you had to do was hit the back button
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:16 am

The way I look at it is both sides need to give a little. If the blinds are on public land and they are considered public and you want to hunt it then you should go ahead and hunt. Now if I was hunting one and a guide came up and was ***? I would politely appolgize to save drama and move on and find somewhere else if that was the blind he was gonna be huting or have clients hunting. You don't mess with a mans truck, girl or money and that's there money so I will back off. Now if the guide isn't going to put someone in that blind and see's you in it then he needs to let someone hunt it. Mainly everyone needs to slow down and remember we all hunt for the love of the sport. Back to the topic of leaving decoys out I think that is wrong but it's just my personal opinion and like *** holes everyone has one and they normally stink.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby farvafire » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:19 am

Finding decoys on the water is like finding a $20 bill in the walmart parking lot, or a bag of trash. Pocket the $20, throw the trash away. Public land is Public land. The owner of the land is the only one with any stake in the land or its contents. Does anyone own a parking spot at walmart? No, first come fist serve. Some people get there early and park close others must walk. However, I guess you could show up the day before and put shopping carts in the spots that are close to the door, but I will just move the shopping cart and park there.
farvafire
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:21 am

stumpjumper1590 wrote:Now if I was hunting one and a guide came up and was ***? I would politely appolgize to save drama and move on and find somewhere else if that was the blind he was gonna be huting or have clients hunting.

Then you just missed the morning flight, when you were there first... I'd rather just not set up in the blind to begin with and have a better hunt bc of it!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:31 am

Mojo281 wrote:
stumpjumper1590 wrote:Now if I was hunting one and a guide came up and was ***? I would politely appolgize to save drama and move on and find somewhere else if that was the blind he was gonna be huting or have clients hunting.

Then you just missed the morning flight, when you were there first... I'd rather just not set up in the blind to begin with and have a better hunt bc of it!!

I am with you 100%. I was just saying if someone else wanted to hunt blinds or if I ever did hunt a blind.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby CCducker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:39 am

whistlin_wings wrote:
CCducker wrote:I just wrote half a novel to post up in this and it didnt post...I think I spent 30 minutes on that thing. COME ON! :mad:

All you had to do was hit the back button

Trust me I have had enough mess up that, that was the first thing I did...but alas no bueno... :no:
The Producers

CCducker
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:51 am

I'm not seein how a wife and a blind are the me same? :huh: ... And who takes their wife to the bar and leaves her there permanently and expects her to not have guys talkin to her?...

Seems like it would be more unethical to leave a pile of unnatural wood, screws, nails, etc in the marsh then to hunt one of those piles.. I say get where the birds are and if a guide gets mad so what?.. He should of had a guy out there holding the spot for him. That's the price he pays for guiding on public water. The guides who hunt lakes up here deal with it so why is it different on the coast?... Just my thoughts....
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby Navy_Duck » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Since I started this one, its been interesting seeing the responses. Mostly what I expected, lots of frustration really but no hard and fast courses of action I could take. Kind of like the bully on the block thing, until someone else forces them to stop doing it, the little man (those of us who dont leave dekes out) is going to either get pushed around to avoid confrontation or have some early morning arguments.

I'm out there to hunt, not argue, so I'm going to be in the frustrated group who lets them keep doing it. Still pisses me off just the same :mad:
Navy_Duck
hunter

Postby bjepsen85 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Navy_Duck wrote:Since I started this one, its been interesting seeing the responses. Mostly what I expected, lots of frustration really but no hard and fast courses of action I could take. Kind of like the bully on the block thing, until someone else forces them to stop doing it, the little man (those of us who dont leave dekes out) is going to either get pushed around to avoid confrontation or have some early morning arguments.

I'm out there to hunt, not argue, so I'm going to be in the frustrated group who lets them keep doing it. Still pisses me off just the same :mad:

BLOW THAT THING UP!! DECOYS AND ALL!!!! :lol3:
bjepsen85
hunter

Postby dwhite16 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Darn, I was really looking forward to that post...fuel to the fire!
Last edited by dwhite16 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwhite16
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Nothing like a good decoy sacrifice to appease the duck gods. :bow:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:21 am

I'll just start dropping off Chimps in their blinds...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxqIITtTtU
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:24 am

please whatever yall do in the marsh dont start shooting at each other over spots!!!! read a post in on the missippi guy on gun charges and another guy replyied about gun battles in arkansas. last thing we need is to give the anti gun people more ammo!!!! always remember our gun and hunting rights are NOT God given and can change with next crazy ass election.

ok gotta get off the soap box now got a pot of duck gumbo callin my name.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:29 am

frydaddy wrote:please whatever yall do in the marsh dont start shooting at each other over spots!!!! read a post in on the missippi guy on gun charges and another guy replyied about gun battles in arkansas. last thing we need is to give the anti gun people more ammo!!!! always remember our gun and hunting rights are NOT God given and can change with next crazy ass election.

ok gotta get off the soap box now got a pot of duck gumbo callin my name.

I surely agree with ya on the gun battles in the marsh but on the guns not being God given I disagree.... This is Texas and the day a president or any form of government try to take em away is the day I become an outlaw.... They'll never take em from me alive!

Back to the gun battles... I agree that this is not the solution to public hunting quarrels. I will admit I have accidentally peppered some morons that set up 60 yards directly downwind from my spread even after being spotlighted, hollered at, and warned.. One if the guys in their group even said to the guy driving the boat "hey man were way
To close to those guys and they were here first"... Boat drivers says very loudly "who cares were will shoot the birds flyin over head that are dropping into their spread too"... Needless to say after the first volley of the morning and the pellets descending back to earth (were not directly shot at them, but to one side and drifted back down over them) they packed up their dekes and left..... I informed everyone with me to not shoot directly at them as killin someone or injuring them isn't worth it. But what can u do when some morons put themselves in this position, u do ur best to not directly pepper them, and it still happens.... And no leavin wasnt an option for me since I got on the water at 3 in the am and they showed up at 30 min to LST.... Yes I'm stubborn lol

Luckily I rarely hunt public anymore so these situations are no longer an issue...
All this bein said I think the actual "gun battles" are rare and uncalled for...
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby Toledo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:34 pm

So how do we go about changing it? What has to happen to get a "no unattended decoys" or "no decoys left out overnight" on public water rule added to the waterfowl pamphlet?
Toledo
hunter

Ethics question on guide decoys left out in the marsh

Postby Mojo281 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Toledo wrote:So how do we go about changing it? What has to happen to get a "no unattended decoys" or "no decoys left out overnight" on public water rule added to the waterfowl pamphlet?

That's a good question!! You'd think if you could get enough guys from all the waterfowl forums to sign a petition then the state would have to at least consider mandating a law against unattended decoys... Regardless if they are left in an attempt to claim a spot or not, they educate birds!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:50 am

Why aren't decoys left overnight considered trash left by the party that sets them out? Essentially they are just pieces of floating plastic with a lead anchor right? As far as I know, nowhere in Texas can you leave trash out at an area.

And I feel pretty sure that you can't get a ticket for handling decoys left overnight.

Nobody should be allowed to set up a permanent (or semi-permanent) blind in public waters. Us duck hunters aren't the only ones who enjoy our waterways.

:beer:
agengo02
hunter

Postby wadefischer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:10 pm

This is simple..if you didn't build it don't hunt it! This should be common sense. I am not a guide but I am sympathetic to their issues. To think that it is OK to get up a little earlier and take advantage of another mans labor and use the hunter harassment argument is pretty chicken****!
wadefischer
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:51 pm

wadefischer wrote:This is simple..if you didn't build it don't hunt it! This should be common sense. I am not a guide but I am sympathetic to their issues. To think that it is OK to get up a little earlier and take advantage of another mans labor and use the hunter harassment argument is pretty chicken****!

On the same note it is just as bad for a guide to leave out all his stuff for the sole purpose of bullying people off public land. You build a blind on public land and that is your gamble. To build one for an intimidation factor and to allow you to get up later while another guy gets way before dawn is absolutely ridiculous.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Texas Duck Hunting