Ethics question on guide decoys left out in the marsh

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Re: Ethics question on guide decoys left out in the marsh

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:12 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
wadefischer wrote:This is simple..if you didn't build it don't hunt it! This should be common sense. I am not a guide but I am sympathetic to their issues. To think that it is OK to get up a little earlier and take advantage of another mans labor and use the hunter harassment argument is pretty chicken****!

On the same note it is just as bad for a guide to leave out all his stuff for the sole purpose of bullying people off public land. You build a blind on public land and that is your gamble. To build one for an intimidation factor and to allow you to get up later while another guy gets way before dawn is absolutely ridiculous.

X2 hammer.... With this logic a guy could go build another blind 10 feet in front of the guides therefore making that blind and hole now the property of the new blind builder?.... Oh wait no it wouldn't because neither of them own PUBLIC land!!!!! Seems like that man's "labor" is now litter and trash left in a public marsh. Therefore impacting the ecosystem that sustains the waterfowl we love to hunt through the winter. That's y I like the rules up here on a couple of the public lakes I hunt. No building of blinds allowed!!!!!!! Other than piling sticks together, and u don't own it. If u get beat there the next time ur SOL...
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby wadefischer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:21 pm

This is a post about marsh hunting on the Texas coast and this what my thread is addressing. Why not wake up early several weeks if not months in advance find out who built the blinds and and ask about other areas that you could build your own. But wait, that means that in advance you will have to spend time , money and sweat like the men whose blinds you feel it is OK to hunt. Add to that, you would have to find enough buddies to help you cut, haul, transport material on boats that require more expense than a Kayak and build the damn thing. Bottom line, spend the $150 on a guide and sleep in. They have had those blinds for years for a reason.
wadefischer
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:46 pm

wadefischer wrote:This is a post about marsh hunting on the Texas coast and this what my thread is addressing. Why not wake up early several weeks if not months in advance find out who built the blinds and and ask about other areas that you could build your own. But wait, that means that in advance you will have to spend time , money and sweat like the men whose blinds you feel it is OK to hunt. Add to that, you would have to find enough buddies to help you cut, haul, transport material on boats that require more expense than a Kayak and build the damn thing. Bottom line, spend the $150 on a guide and sleep in. They have had those blinds for years for a reason.

Easy fix here is outlaw permanent blinds.... Hire a guide? Lol. I'm assuming the OP hunts the marsh regularly and possibly lives nearby. So if he hunts every weekend of the season ur lookin at 300 a weekend for 12 weekends. 3600 a year to duck hunt? That's crazy man!!! And on top of that ur paying a guy to take u on PUBLIC land that is in ur area. Where is that logical?
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:49 pm

wadefischer wrote:This is a post about marsh hunting on the Texas coast and this what my thread is addressing. Why not wake up early several weeks if not months in advance find out who built the blinds and and ask about other areas that you could build your own. But wait, that means that in advance you will have to spend time , money and sweat like the men whose blinds you feel it is OK to hunt. Add to that, you would have to find enough buddies to help you cut, haul, transport material on boats that require more expense than a Kayak and build the damn thing. Bottom line, spend the $150 on a guide and sleep in. They have had those blinds for years for a reason.

Because they are bullys and dont care for other hunters at all. Saying that one day spent building a blind should give you the right to hunt the best spot on the marsh the rest of the year is just stupid logic. I understand that scouting is a must, but because someone else got out and scouted before you means they are better than you and entitled to a spot is stupid. Public land is for the public, not for one guy to run a money making operation on because he has more money to spend. As far i as I see it a man who wakes up at 2 or 3 in the morning to go hunting has more dedication as a hunter and more of a right to public land than a guide. When it comes to public land the one who shows up first that day is the one who hunts the spot. The guides want to keep their spots they need to get their asses up and get there first.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby wadefischer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:03 pm

If the guy lives close buy and hunts that often and doesn't put the effort in to either form relationships(offer to help) and or build his own setup then again it goes back to it is pretty chicken****. Again, this is a post about Texas coastal hunting. This issue is popping up more and more often and used to not be a big deal. It was something that coastal hunters heard more about on lakes and rivers. However, after reading this thread I now know why we are seeing more of it. It blows my mind that people are bashing guides. Make them your friend, chances are one will help you out of a jam one day. The good ones are on the water every day and know what is out of place.
wadefischer
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:32 pm

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:Easy fix here is outlaw permanent blinds....

Image Image
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:43 pm

i think most people who come from outta town and use a guide would not mind getting up early to get the spot the guide wants before other hunters if the guide told them up front thats the process because it is PUBLIC land. hell most of them probably dont get any sleep the night before anyway,too excited about next day. and i dont realy think this post is about guides being aholes, some are some arent that is with anything. bottom line it is public land and open to who ever gets there first. thats the law. legaly the lumber and plastic is all his and should be marked like jug fishing. and at the end of the season remmoved or ticketed for littering.
i say if ur set up and he comes flying in at shooting time he shld take them to one of the other holes he most likely has staked out.

besides having guns how is it realy any different than fishing under someones boat slip or one of those fishing shacks floating around down there. they have them anchored in public water?
frydaddy
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:34 pm

frydaddy wrote:i think most people who come from outta town and use a guide would not mind getting up early to get the spot the guide wants before other hunters if the guide told them up front thats the process because it is PUBLIC land. hell most of them probably dont get any sleep the night before anyway,too excited about next day. and i dont realy think this post is about guides being aholes, some are some arent that is with anything. bottom line it is public land and open to who ever gets there first. thats the law. legaly the lumber and plastic is all his and should be marked like jug fishing. and at the end of the season remmoved or ticketed for littering.
i say if ur set up and he comes flying in at shooting time he shld take them to one of the other holes he most likely has staked out.

besides having guns how is it realy any different than fishing under someones boat slip or one of those fishing shacks floating around down there. they have them anchored in public water?

Good way to put it Fry :thumbsup:
jaysweet3 wrote:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Hunt his blind and use his decoys, and when he comes back and pitches a fit and puts out his decoys and or packs up his blind. Deploy your own stuff. If he doesn't want to share his blind he shouldn't have put it out on public land. Hording public land is bullshit, especially in Texas where 90% is private. There is no need to be stingy on lands that aren't your's. Happy hunting :beer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby KaceyDucks » Thu May 09, 2013 11:20 am

frydaddy wrote:please whatever yall do in the marsh dont start shooting at each other over spots!!!! read a post in on the missippi guy on gun charges and another guy replyied about gun battles in arkansas. last thing we need is to give the anti gun people more ammo!!!! always remember our gun and hunting rights are NOT God given and can change with next crazy ass election.

ok gotta get off the soap box now got a pot of duck gumbo callin my name.

I know this is an old thread but when I read this I had to revive it. The real threat to our hunting and gun rights is the thought that they are not God given. The fact is that they are God given, I have a right to kill my bounty and a right to defend myself and family. Just to let you know, if a guide gets physical with you or threatens your life with a weapon, you are legally allowed to defend yourself with such force as to stop the attack. These guides aren't king of the marsh and I will not be treated like less of a person for it. I say hunt the blind and have a new bag of dekes. You can't litter out waterways with your crap and not expect it to be messed with.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants." -- Thomas Jefferson
KaceyDucks
hunter

Previous

Return to Texas Duck Hunting