need help in tyler!!!

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

need help in tyler!!!

Postby tallyhunter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:54 pm

hi i currently live in tallahassee florida and am moving to tyler in two weeks for football! if anyone can point me in the right directions from what type of birds y'all are shooting over there all the way to just naming a few lakes that can be publicly access (i have a boat)! also what are some of the laws over there! thank you :help:
tallyhunter
Newb

Re: need help in tyler!!!

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Teal, mallards, gadwall, ringnecks, widgeon, coots, pintails, etc. Basically anything that flies in the central flyway.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby SAHunter1983 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:36 pm

Google maps and Texas Parks and Wildlife can point you in the right direction... Lake of the Pines is out that way, anyone know if it is huntable... Also there are plenty of swamps that are corp of Engineers land south east of you about 2 hours. Good luck.
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby tallyhunter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:39 pm

thank you! yeah all i shoot around here is ring necks, blue bills, red heads, and canvasbacks! is there a lot of duck hunters in the area bc i we have to many hunters and not enough lakes.
tallyhunter
Newb

Postby SAHunter1983 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:42 pm

Yep, and the further south towards Beaumont you go generally more huntable water and more hunters.
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby tallyhunter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:49 pm

how are the lakes are? do they have a lot of vegetation and are they filled with submerged stumps?
tallyhunter
Newb

Postby SAHunter1983 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Havent been out in the areas in a while but from what I hear the water level is down a LOT in most places with the drought. Best bet is get a map find water and scout it... find the X where the birds are and you will be good.
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby JBurns » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:59 pm

Waters down alot this way, I'm 50 miles north of Tyler, I don't want to post em on hear but there are a couple good lakes within an hour of you. My seasons numbers are behind last years and that's been the general consensus right around here, you can PM if you want I'll try to help you where I can.
JBurns
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting