Hunting Times

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Hunting Times

Postby Flatire » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Looking for public hunting areas now that I have settled in to my new home here. To that end I have been on the TPWD site trying to find a place or two to hunt. I have found a few I am going to check out but was noticing that they all close to hunting at noon, is this consistant with all the public areas or are there places you can hunt all day that I havent found yet.
put it on the table
Flatire
hunter

Re: Hunting Times

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:25 pm

It's typically consistent with true public land that requires the permit. I have spots that are public and managed by the corp of engineers that you can hunt all day if you want but have been to other places that have hours.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Flatire » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:47 pm

sounds like I need to expand my search to include areas that are controled by other governmet agencies to find more areas
put it on the table
Flatire
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:17 pm

The booklet they send out isn't the only huntable areas. Just have to find water then go from there.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:29 pm

The marsh where i normaly hunt is open all day but as soon you get into the rivers it closes at noon.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Flatire » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:48 pm

thanks
put it on the table
Flatire
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:52 pm

the marsh i hunted down near baytown closed at noon unless you are talking about a different one... and don't hunt where whistlen hunts unless you got a bag of bread
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby DuckMendenhall » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:05 am

Be careful...some of the public areas are only open 3 days a week as well.
Tight lines...
DuckMendenhall
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:08 am

Duck_Happy wrote:the marsh i hunted down near baytown closed at noon unless you are talking about a different one... and don't hunt where whistlen hunts unless you got a bag of bread

I'm finding you on Saturday and following you. Just make sure you go slow enough for me to keep up in my kayak.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Flatire » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:45 am

DuckMendenhall wrote:Be careful...some of the public areas are only open 3 days a week as well.

i was seeing that but ruled the areas out quickly, I dont have a typical m-f 9-5 job, my days off change week to week and even day to day. Most of my time off is during the week which is great as long as they dont mess it up by changing start times which also happens quite a bit. Being able to access a location on any given day is a big concern
put it on the table
Flatire
hunter

Postby Flatire » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:50 am

I canoe a few different rivers and find areas that are secluded but not listed as hunting areas, is there a publication that I can access that can clear the mud from the waters so I know if its a go or not?
put it on the table
Flatire
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:21 am

Flatire wrote:I canoe a few different rivers and find areas that are secluded but not listed as hunting areas, is there a publication that I can access that can clear the mud from the waters so I know if its a go or not?

Best way to clear things up quick is call TPWD office and get the game warden for that county's cell number. Everyone I have talked to are really helpful and easy goin. I have the numbers for all of em in the counties I hunt.
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:27 am

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:
Flatire wrote:I canoe a few different rivers and find areas that are secluded but not listed as hunting areas, is there a publication that I can access that can clear the mud from the waters so I know if its a go or not?

Best way to clear things up quick is call TPWD office and get the game warden for that county's cell number. Everyone I have talked to are really helpful and easy goin. I have the numbers for all of em in the counties I hunt.

I will tell you that's not always the best source. I went to the game warden's office here and pulled out a map of the lake which is run by the corp and flat out asked them can I hunt here or there, and looked for clarification. He scratched his head and took it back to all the other GW's and came back and said basically if you are shooting steel, not over your limit, or on someones property they don't care where I hunted. Wish it was that simple. I've gotten responses similar from the corp but GW's write tickets and never run into a corp employee while hunting so I listen to them.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:36 am

whistlin_wings wrote:
Indiancreekducks87 wrote:

I will tell you that's not always the best source. I went to the game warden's office here and pulled out a map of the lake which is run by the corp and flat out asked them can I hunt here or there, and looked for clarification. He scratched his head and took it back to all the other GW's and came back and said basically if you are shooting steel, not over your limit, or on someones property they don't care where I hunted. Wish it was that simple. I've gotten responses similar from the corp but GW's write tickets and never run into a corp employee while hunting so I listen to them.

I've never had an issue with the warden but the Corp is a completely different story... I've confused them more than they have helped me... Lol. So I can see where the gw could be just as misinformed...
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:39 am

whistlin_wings wrote:
Duck_Happy wrote:the marsh i hunted down near baytown closed at noon unless you are talking about a different one... and don't hunt where whistlen hunts unless you got a bag of bread

I'm finding you on Saturday and following you. Just make sure you go slow enough for me to keep up in my kayak.

after talking to you before the split I've only shot 5 ducks out of 4 trips... so it couldn't hurt to follow me and you wouldn't happen to have the dog with you when your on your yak?
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby Flatire » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:59 pm

will make a couple calls, shouldnt be too hard to find someone, may start with the river authorities on the rivers I am looking at then hit the GW's office and see what they say.
put it on the table
Flatire
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:18 pm

Duck_Happy wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:

after talking to you before the split I've only shot 5 ducks out of 4 trips... so it couldn't hurt to follow me and you wouldn't happen to have the dog with you when your on your yak?

Negative, I have a GSP and I think I'd be swimming real quick if he was on board.

Scouted during the split and saw 0 birds, paddled for 4 hours and saw absolutely nothing. It was also in the 70s but nothing.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Flatire » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:49 pm

A GSP on a kayak, that would be interesting, mine is a handful on dry ground cant imagine floating with him
put it on the table
Flatire
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Think I saw a guy with a GSP and a yak out there once... I will tell you how it goes tomorrow going to set up near the trees
Duck_Happy
hunter

Hunting Times

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Not me. So how low is it now? Been a while since I've been out there
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Duck_Happy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Well where we had built a blind right on the edge of the water there is now 2 to 3 ft of dry ground water keeps getting pushed out thinking of just hunting the bend deeper water but Will have the dog this time
Duck_Happy
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting