Dove & duck hunting trip. All steel or steel and lead?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Postby Barney#1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Just throwing it out there to see what some of you guys think.
Once dove season opens back up we hunt ducks in the a.m. and doves in the afternoon. I just take along all steel shot for these hunts. Heavy for the quackers and 6's or 7's for doves. I have read the rules and in my interpretation you may not have lead shot in your possession WHILE hunting waterfowl. Some of my hunting partners hunt the doves with lead and ducks with steel shot. The lead shot is in the truck 100 yards away and not in their possession WHILE hunting waterfowl. Keep in mind we are not doing both at the same time.
Are they gonna get popped someday or am I being over cautious?
Any first hand experiences?
Barney#1
hunter

Re: Dove & duck hunting trip. All steel or steel and lead?

Postby SAHunter1983 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:23 pm

All steel game warden told me that once so there is no doubt...
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby DuckMendenhall » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:02 am

Academy had some 2 3/4" #7 steel shot available...
Tight lines...
DuckMendenhall
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:14 am

I've heard of people getting popped at boat ramps by the game wardens when they were coming in because they had lead shot in their truck bed.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby DucksUnlimitedkayaker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:17 pm

I have heard of guys getting tickets for even empty lead shot shells being in the bed of their truck when they got checked at the ramp. Might not hurt to call the GW in your county and explain the situation exactly as you did to us and see what he has to say. I think it would be worth the chance of not having to spend extra money on steel.
DucksUnlimitedkayaker
hunter

Postby DuckMendenhall » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:27 pm

They can and will...
Tight lines...
DuckMendenhall
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:09 pm

why bother taking a chance?? for the difference in the cost of a box of shells!!! even if u are right or wrong if u get a ticket are u really going to miss a day of work to go argue ur case with the judge who most likely will side with the warden. even if u win u still lost time gas and money i dont see how u come out ahaed on this one. my brother and i have had same argument so i tell him do what u want when we are in ur truck and do what i say when we are in mine. seems fair enough to me!! besides alot of public land requires non toxic shot even for dove if ur hunting public.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:39 pm

That's all I need to hear fellas. Thanks for the input. I will keep doing what I'm doing and suggest that my hunting buddies do the same. To me if you do not have them on your person while you are in the act of hunting waterfowl then there is no offence, but I have allways just use steel to avoid any problems.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby steelslinger » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:56 am

I don't agree, now we are letting others interpret the law the way they want to. If you are hunting and the GW checks you, and you don't have steel in your possesion then there is no ticket. We are going to let someone with a badge say that because I have steel in my truck it is a ticketable offense. I call BS. That is the "intent" theory. Just because I have money in my pocket and I am on a street known for hookers and am horny doesn't mean you can give me a ticket for solicitation. We are too ready to bow out and be passive agressive and rant about something after the fact. As long as you keep the lead shot in your truck, there is no way that kind of thing can even be ticketed.

I know, they will and once again, I fly the BS flag. Someone has to take a stand and I will be that guy.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Postby whistlin_wings » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:43 am

Go try that one out and let us know how your stand goes
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby frydaddy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:22 pm

steel slinger so they way i read ur post if i get stopped and they ask for my vehicle ins and when i open the glover box a bag of pot falls out i would be fine. its possesion, or beer cans in the back of the truck its possesion of an open cantainer.

so how is a box of lead shot any different? law doesnt say on ur person it clear says in ur possesion.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby steelslinger » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:11 am

frydaddy wrote:steel slinger so they way i read ur post if i get stopped and they ask for my vehicle ins and when i open the glover box a bag of pot falls out i would be fine. its possesion, or beer cans in the back of the truck its possesion of an open cantainer.

so how is a box of lead shot any different? law doesnt say on ur person it clear says in ur possesion.

No that is not the way you should have read my post. By the virtue of you sitting in your vehicle, you are now in possession of anything in it. When it comes down to hunting and possesion laws it is what you have on your person while you are physically hunting. There is no way anyone can tell me that if my truck is parked at the ramp and I come back from hunting and load the boat, get checked by the GW and there is lead shells in the truck then he can lawfully give me a ticket. I am not hunting at that time and he couldn't prove that I was hunting with the lead shells. There is still something in this country called "innocent until proven guilty". It would not be legal. Now if I am out in my boat hunting and he stops by and I have lead in my boat then once again by virtue of being in the boat and duck hunting, I am in possession of lead shot. That is a no brainer. I guarantee that if a policeman was to spot empty beer cans in your truck out in town he would NOT give you an open container ticket until you were actually inside the vehicle, why, because until you get in it, you don't possess those empty containers. I do it all the time, go duck hunting in the morning, dove in the afternoon and have both in my truck. I have been stopped numerous times and there has never been an issue.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Postby honestcharlie56 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:23 pm

not even worth risking, don't try to beat the GW......he will win every time.
honestcharlie56
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting