Dallas or Houston?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Dallas or Houston?

Postby grahambiel66 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:12 pm

In about a year or so, I will probably be moving to texas for work and will have the choice or either the Dallas or Houston office. My question is, which one would provide more good public duck hunting opportunity? I don't need any specifics, I plan on doing a lot of research and scouting once I get there I just need a starting point. I have a 16 ft flat bottom Jon with a 40 Hp outboard but I would consider getting a mud motor if conditions required. I also am not against hunting areas thy require walking in (I've looked at some of the WMA's in the Houston area), I just don't have a whole lot of experience hunting anywhere but lakes.

Also, what area would you recommend looking for an apartment in whichever city you recommend (since we all know proximity to hunting spots is much more important than to work). Again not looking for handouts or for anyone to give away spots, just a general area of the city. Thanks guys
grahambiel66
hunter

Dallas or Houston?

Postby Mojo281 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Both great cities for waterfowl hunting... North Texas has a lot of public lakes and South Texas has the coastal prairie and the coast!! Pick your poison...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Re: Dallas or Houston?

Postby Pouledeau » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:05 pm

If you move to Houston you also add some pretty damn good saltwater fishing. Something to consider at least. I can't really say one way or the other except that having spent a great deal of time in both places, I'd rather live in Fort Worth over Dallas.

Also, considering the size of both places, try finding a place close to work, it'll make your life a lot easier.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Bayou_Bowhunter » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Are you single?

Dallas women are hot if you can deal with the attitude. Houston women are hot too, just not nearly as many hot women as Dallas and without the attitude.

If you want to be closer to greenheads - Dallas, if you are happy with a mix and a lot of birds - Houston.
Bayou_Bowhunter
hunter

Postby grahambiel66 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Haha I've got a girl but I do like shooting a mixed bag so I'm leaning towards Houston
grahambiel66
hunter

Postby Bayou_Bowhunter » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:26 am

When you are looking at places to live, if you live in Cypress/Spring/Woodlands/Kingwood (Northern Suburbs) keep in mind that that will add about a 1/2 hour to your commute to the coast from Houston.

In Houston, it's all about Interstate access for how long your commute will be. Keep that in mind.

Look me up when you come down here, I know a boat launch that is 1.5 hours from Houston on Govt land that I've been wanting to try but they are a little too far of a kayak paddle in the early morning and I'll be happy to point you in that direction via PM. I have some serious scouting plans this offseason and will plan on checking the site in mind out.
Bayou_Bowhunter
hunter

Postby mallardman1038 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:02 pm

If the Dallas area (within 1.5hrs) lakes get some much needed rain I would lean towards Dallas. But I am partial to Greenheads. And Dallas area seems to be a cleaner area and friendlier people, but thats just my opinion. West Houston area is nice though, and being able to catch trout and reds after a few limits of ducks in the morning is always a huge plus for me. Pros and cons to both.
Also keep in mind, the coast has a lot of pressure, especially from guides. And some of those guides can be rude as hell, some seem to think they own the marshes. I try to only hunt on week days and avoid all that though. And if you are gonna run the flats, a regular outboard probably wont cut it. I have a Pro Drive and it works ok out there. Airboats are best, but they are also expensive to buy and run. Tunnel hull with a jackplate seem to be able to get to all the places I can though.
mallardman1038
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 am

D town.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Return to Texas Duck Hunting