Hunting Tx. Rivers

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Hunting Tx. Rivers

Postby duckm4n » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:40 pm

Does anyone know the laws pertaining to hunting ducks on public waterways, i.e.rivers? Have seen lots of ducks working up and down rivers, but not sure if they are accessible. And if you can hunt the rivers, can you sit on the bank or is that private property? Any info would be helpful. I have looked on TPWD website, but doesn't quite clearly state the laws. thanks!
duckm4n
hunter

Re: Hunting Tx. Rivers

Postby Barney#1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:54 pm

I have spent countless hours researching this same thing for rivers in my area and have not been able to come up with anything.
Texas is just getting too crowded to hunt rivers anymore and there's a lot of law bs to figure out.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby honestcharlie56 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:55 pm

easiest thing to do is call the game warden, hopefully hes in a good mood and wants to help.
honestcharlie56
hunter

Hunting Tx. Rivers

Postby CJATE » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:00 am

It's slightly just a touch more complicated then " stay in the water". Water public, land not public.
CJATE
Newb

Postby Specialk512 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:10 am

I do quite a bit of river hunting in various rivers throughout the state.
The way texas reads, the banks of normal floodplain for the river are fair game and public use. You still have to find legal access to the river many places do not allow firearms to be transported through to get to the river.
I have talk to game wardens in many different counties all have been very helpful and telling me where and what access points are legal. Just be courteous when talking to them and make sure they understand that you are just trying to clarify what's legal and what's not before you break the law.
Specialk512
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:25 am

All flowing rivers are considered public waterways, open to public use.
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Postby duckm4n » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:46 am

i appreciate it specialk, hows ur season been so far? we've been shootin lots of redheads and pintail down pt. lavaca way.
duckm4n
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting