home stretch

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

home stretch

Postby tako1972 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:03 pm

I know it's not over yet but I wanted to get y'alls opinion of this season. I think it helps to reflect on the methods,conditions and overall approach to the days we get to hunt. I believe it will make me a better waterfowler in the coming years.

Right off the top I'd say I saw a lot less pictures from hunts than last year. Were we less successful?
I know it really only started to get cold recently(in December !!)
Teal seemed to be pretty good most places. Snows as well.
I saw more greenheads early on than I ever had, that was different for me.
I saw less birds and less variety than last year but I also hunted less due to work and some family health issues. How bout y'all?
Gadwall I saw recently in a magazine article are predicted to really be the main duck for a variety of reasons. I think that's already the case. I could have shot dozens(like twenty dozen) of them but passed. How about where you were at?
So for these reasons and some I am forgetting or too lazy to write about I'll just say so far this year is/was mediocre. with this recent cold weather I may come back to you in a month singing a different tune. This also may have been my reality and it could have been totally different for you. Just wanted to see how others felt about it.
Anyway, I hope every one of you finishes up the regular season with full straps and had a great holiday with your families. I'll be hunting on into March so I got a ways to go. Does anyone know if there is a support group for people addicted to hunting geese over dry rice stubble?! I'm hooked! Y'all be safe.
tako1972
hunter

Re: home stretch

Postby GOTDUCKS? » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:55 am

The season started off like gang busters down south, mixed bag limits every hunt. Thought it was gonna be our best season in years. Once again after the split it's tapered off. My son and I are scratching out 3-4 per trip but thats about it. We've still got some time left so I hope it pick's up alittle bit. :beer:
GOTDUCKS?
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:31 am

Thanks Gotducks.
I was hearing a lot of mixed bag reports on the coast at the beginning.I unfortunately only took redhead. There is still good time left I guess i was just down on what has happened so far.
I will say that although I had fewer hunts with fewer species, I had a couple of hunts that really affirmed how much I love waterfowl hunting. Just great perfect days. Not because of limits but because of how it felt, weather, the way the birds worked etc. Good times.I could have taken zero the whole rest of the season and been happy because of those couple of hunts.
tako1972
hunter

Postby Bayou_Bowhunter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:06 pm

Tako,

Given that this is only my second season waterfowling, first one seriously, I don't have a tremendous amount of perspective. The guys on my lease say that last season was head and shoulders better than what we have right now.

After teal season, i was so amped up about big duck it wasn't even funny, limited on 4/5 teal hunts. Big duck has been pretty disappointing on the lease except for opening weekend of first split. I broke it up with 3 trips to POC which was nice to see some Redheads and Pintails decoy beautifully!

Like you said, after so many mediocre hunts, all it took was watching 6 pintails glide into our decoys and our group to pick out 2 drakes to finish our 3 man limit to completely reenergize me!

The Sunday before that, a coonass buddy of mine and I got 7 ducks in one hunt - 2 Mottleds, 1 Bluebill, 1 Bufflehead, 1 Widgeon, 1 Gray and 1 GWT. Even though we didnt limit, getting 6 different species was pretty awesome!

Where you located, I will glady shoot Gray Ducks.
Bayou_Bowhunter
hunter

home stretch

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:03 pm

My season has been one for the books!! The main reason it has been so productive is bc I have traveled and hunted all over. I've held waterfowl licenses in 5 states this year!! I've always traveled to hunt, often up to 7 hours each way for a weekend but I have never hunted so many states in one season. I travel mainly for the change of scenery and to chase those elusive greenheads... I'll post some pictures and video links once season ends!!

Finish strong guys!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:11 pm

Mojo! ha, I was gonna say something about not saying how good or bad the season was til' we all see the video from the boys from Edna!
That being said, I have always been down to road trip even back when i lived in Louisiana. I've left directly from work and driven across the state for a chance to shoot geese. Now I'm expanding my horizons. As soon as my girlfriends health issues stabilize a little bit we are gonna start coordinating hunts in/out of state and country. Can't wait to see the video man!
tako1972
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:49 pm

This season has been tough for me. We have been out for seven trips spending 19 or so days on the water. Best hunt was a couple of weeks ago and we only walked away with 5 ducks. Lots of one each hunts and quite a few goose eggs. Keep thinking it was the weather but we just got back from a hunt with this big front and we each shot one bird. That's all we saw. It was a fun hunt today because it felt like duck season for once. Light rain and cold. It's not over yet. I will keep scratching um out till it's done. Good luck for the rest of the season.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Early teal season was the best i have ever seen it. Every now and then we would shoot a limit and then other hunts mabey 1 duck. After opening weekend i had really high hopes for this season, we killed 3 mallards where nobody has killed one in 15-20 years. Also killed some goldeneyes(never heard of one killed around here). Last year we finished the season at 250 ducks, this year is almost over and we just broke 100 birds. The ducks never really showed up this year i guess....but :biggrin: its just getting cold! Got 3 full days of hunting next week, sun up till sun down!
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:49 pm

I just never posted pictures. This has been my best season ever. Now in the second split things are getting better. We are having more birds rolling in. Starting to see big, fat mallards now instead of gadwalls.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:10 am

tako1972 wrote:Mojo! ha, I was gonna say something about not saying how good or bad the season was til' we all see the video from the boys from Edna!

We aren't from Edna... Haven't hunted there since before the split bc it slows down bad for some reason after the split. Thus the reason for traveling much further each weekend... Guess I should have said that I have hunted in 5 states since the split!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:03 pm

@mojo. gotcha. now can i see the video? :smile:
tako1972
hunter

home stretch

Postby Mojo281 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:15 pm

It ain't done yet... Patience young jedi warrior!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:32 am

Mojo281 wrote:My season has been one for the books!! The main reason it has been so productive is bc I have traveled and hunted all over. I've held waterfowl licenses in 5 states this year!! I've always traveled to hunt, often up to 7 hours each way for a weekend but I have never hunted so many states in one season. I travel mainly for the change of scenery and to chase those elusive greenheads... I'll post some pictures and video links once season ends!!

Finish strong guys!!

x2 ...

My season total (estimated as best as I can) is only about 40 birds short of last season with more teal and mallards and less divers and pintails thus far. The big change was that I basically SKIPPED the first split and loaded my second split to the gills with hunts and hunted every single weekend of teal season. Photos are coming ... !

The BIG differences I see is weather. I feel like we're about 3 - 4 weeks behind in weather patterns and the ever present probelm with water isn't helping a lot of people either. Understanding that a lot of places HAVE water that didn't early and vice versa you wouldn't think this would be a problem but the accumulative issue here is that if you didn't have water last winter and this past spring and summer ... even if you have water NOW, you don't have food. This has killed a lot of good holes from what I'm hearing from certian parts of the state.
Pouledeau
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting