Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Pouledeau » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:59 am

Approximate figures are looking something like this -

2361 miles, $1,380 in diesel, 41 windshield hours, 5 inches of snow/rain, $200 in allergy/cold/flu medicine … single digit lows, highs between 16 and 24 degrees on a day to day basis, full moon, 5 days afield, 9 geese and 240 birds (90% of which were greenheads) and ONE from S. Dakota, caught in 2012 and burnt dead on the river on New Year’s Day.

Mojo281 and I have a great deal of photography and video footage to get through before you see the aftermath … but, it's coming!

Happy New Years. Gun’em hard to the finish …
Attachments
SD2012_mallard drake.JPG
Last edited by Pouledeau on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Pouledeau
hunter
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:38 pm


Midwestern Beatdown Teaser - photodump pending ...

Postby Mojo281 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:29 am

Happy New Year Indeed!! Cheers guys!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357230550.440435.jpg
Make em hate it!!
User avatar
Mojo281
hunter
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:34 pm
Location: SE Texas

Re: Midwestern Beatdown Teaser - photodump pending ...

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 am

Nice!! :clapping:
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
User avatar
Indiancreekducks87
hunter
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:43 am
Location: Farmersville, Tx

Re: Midwestern Beatdown Teaser - photodump pending ...

Postby tako1972 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 pm

The new years picture is amazing. you should all have a copy of that one in your homes.
tako1972
hunter
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: Midwestern Beatdown Teaser - photodump pending ...

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Thats a sweet picture :clapping: :clapping:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
User avatar
stumpjumper1590
hunter
 
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:50 am
Location: Corpus Christi TX

Re: Midwestern Beatdown Teaser - photodump pending ...

Postby GOTDUCKS? » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:16 am

Awesome :beer: will be waiting for the "photo dump" on this one :thumbsup:
User avatar
GOTDUCKS?
hunter
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:33 am
Location: The Last Frontier

Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Mojo281 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:57 am

Delete
Last edited by Mojo281 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make em hate it!!
User avatar
Mojo281
hunter
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:34 pm
Location: SE Texas

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby SAHunter1983 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Mojo.... I dont think I can like you anymore... I am envious...
User avatar
SAHunter1983
hunter
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Pouledeau » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:48 pm

SAHunter1983 wrote:Mojo.... I dont think I can like you anymore... I am envious...


Man it wasn't all like that ... ! It was cloudy and snowing a lot of the time ... :biggrin:
Attachments
12.27.12.JPG
User avatar
Pouledeau
hunter
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Sweet mother of Jesus..... Y'all tore em up!
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
User avatar
Indiancreekducks87
hunter
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:43 am
Location: Farmersville, Tx

Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Mojo281 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:08 pm

I swore I wouldn't take tail gate pics ever again, but this one from day 1 turned out pretty good...
Image
It was sunny and 14 degrees the second day. The mallards seemed to slide down the suns rays right into our spread!! The video footage from day 2 is unbelievable!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357333535.186056.jpg

Keep in mind it was a 8 day trip with 5 days of hunting... More to come!
Last edited by Mojo281 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make em hate it!!
User avatar
Mojo281
hunter
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:34 pm
Location: SE Texas

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby SAHunter1983 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:48 pm

You suck at life right now in my book... lol I would just like to sit and watch birds fall on a trip like that let alone hunt haha
User avatar
SAHunter1983
hunter
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby CutEm214 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Looks like a heck of a trip guys! :clapping: Maybe someday I'll get the nerve up to freelance a trip. LOL

**Edit - Nevermind. :rolleyes:
Last edited by CutEm214 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
CutEm214
hunter
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:04 am

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Barney#1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:58 am

:clapping: Ya'll are freaking awesome. Very nice pics. :thumbsup:
I need to get some traveling in next season.
User avatar
Barney#1
hunter
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Boerne Tx

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Duck Collector » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Pouledeau wrote:Approximate figures are looking something like this -

2361 miles, $1,380 in diesel, 41 windshield hours, 5 inches of snow/rain, $200 in allergy/cold/flu medicine … single digit lows, highs between 16 and 24 degrees on a day to day basis, full moon, 5 days afield, 9 geese and 240 birds (90% of which were greenheads) and ONE from S. Dakota, caught in 2012 and burnt dead on the river on New Year’s Day.

Mojo281 and I have a great deal of photography and video footage to get through before you see the aftermath … but, it's coming!

Happy New Years. Gun’em hard to the finish …

Looks like the mallard shat it self on impack :tongue:
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
User avatar
Duck Collector
hunter
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: H Town

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Pouledeau » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:16 am

Duck Collector wrote:
Pouledeau wrote:Approximate figures are looking something like this -

2361 miles, $1,380 in diesel, 41 windshield hours, 5 inches of snow/rain, $200 in allergy/cold/flu medicine … single digit lows, highs between 16 and 24 degrees on a day to day basis, full moon, 5 days afield, 9 geese and 240 birds (90% of which were greenheads) and ONE from S. Dakota, caught in 2012 and burnt dead on the river on New Year’s Day.

Mojo281 and I have a great deal of photography and video footage to get through before you see the aftermath … but, it's coming!

Happy New Years. Gun’em hard to the finish …

Looks like the mallard shat it self on impack :tongue:


Just so you guys know we're human ... we had a slow hunt the third day. I think we killed 9 birds. Just goes to shot all the scouting in the world may not help if the wind shifts bearing 90 degrees. We literally watched every bit of 50K birds fly right over us 1,000 ft too high and lock up into a field a 1/2 mile away. Every single one of them did it the day before.
Attachments
Santa Mallard.JPG
We did have one visit us from the North Pole though ... !
Last edited by Pouledeau on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pouledeau
hunter
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Trophyducks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Looks like a fun trip, who did you guys hunt with?
Trophyducks
Newb
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Pouledeau » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Trophyducks wrote:Looks like a fun trip, who did you guys hunt with?


One of my customers has family that lives in the area we hunted, who turned us onto the information we needed to get this done - is all I'm really going to offer on that in public format, but if you watch any kind of pro-produced video, there's a good chance you've watched these guys kill ducks.

PM me with specific questions and I'll do my best to help you out.
User avatar
Pouledeau
hunter
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Crazy Matt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:38 pm

GIVE US ALL YOUR SPOTS!
Call, Kill, Consume.
User avatar
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert
 
Posts: 6994
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:58 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Trophyducks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:00 pm

So did you freelance or go with an outfitter?
Trophyducks
Newb
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Mojo281 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Trophyducks wrote:So did you freelance or go with an outfitter?

We have friends who run outfitting businesses in multiple states that we visit each year. We cover their cost and put in the work as if we are freelancing. We scout if needed, knock on doors, put out the spread, grass blinds, bring dogs, bring whatever equipment they need us to, use their decoys, and occasionally hunt their spots if they are holding birds.

We get first crack at their hunting schedules bc they enjoy us coming up and they get to hunt with friends for a change. Every year they make a statement like, "We forgot what it's like to hunt with guys that put in the work, can call, and can shoot lights out!" It's a pretty good gig!!
Make em hate it!!
User avatar
Mojo281
hunter
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:34 pm
Location: SE Texas

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Mojo281 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Day 4 we slept in, got a nice meal, and drove 3 hours south to try river hunting for the last two days of or trip. When doing this kind of trip, it is important to take a day off to relax and get some rest!!

Day 5 proved to be challenging and borderline miserable!! We hunted a river in horizontal rain, sleet, and snow. It wasn't a full limit hunt, but I'm pretty sure everyone was ready to call it a day and get some shelter...

Image
Make em hate it!!
User avatar
Mojo281
hunter
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:34 pm
Location: SE Texas

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Mojo281 wrote:Day 4 we slept in, got a nice meal, and drove 3 hours south to try river hunting for the last two days of or trip. When doing this kind of trip, it is important to take a day off to relax and get some rest!!

Day 5 proved to be challenging and borderline miserable!! We hunted a river in horizontal rain, sleet, and snow. It wasn't a full limit hunt, but I'm pretty sure everyone was ready to call it a day and get some shelter...

Image

Did you all tell the guy from the 2nd to the back that all the good duck hunters paint their face like duck commander then laugh when he went first :lol3:
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
User avatar
whistlin_wings
State Moderator
 
Posts: 9196
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am
Location: CENTEX

Re: Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby Mojo281 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:24 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:Did you all tell the guy from the 2nd to the back that all the good duck hunters paint their face like duck commander then laugh when he went first :lol3:

He was taking pictures, thus he was a little more exposed then the rest of us... Nothing wrong with painting your face bro!! I do when there isn't ample cover. Your shiny face and the back of your hands are the first two things a weary bird will pick out when working the blocks!
Make em hate it!!
User avatar
Mojo281
hunter
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:34 pm
Location: SE Texas

Midwestern Beatdown - photodump in progress ...

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Birds are to mesmerized by all my mojos brah to even notice me
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
User avatar
whistlin_wings
State Moderator
 
Posts: 9196
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am
Location: CENTEX

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests