Wanting to hunt the coast

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Wanting to hunt the coast

Postby KaceyDucks » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Hey all, New to the forum. I have been duck hunting public in North Texas for two years and have gotten hooked. I graduated college got a real job and started spending tons of money on duck hunting. LOL A friend and I are wanting to do a blast and cast on the coast before the season is out and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a guide and/or would be willing to take a newbie out (long shot I know). If you know anyone let me know.

PS my name is Kendall, I am 24 from Austin but went to school at UNT (go Eagles) I have always loved hunting and fishing and am hooked on duck hunting now.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants." -- Thomas Jefferson
KaceyDucks
hunter

Re: Wanting to hunt the coast

Postby texashunter1985 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:31 pm

What's up KaceyDucks glad to hear you are enjoying the sport. It's very exspensive and addicting break those credit cards out lol. To answer your question man I'm from Austin myself but stationed here in Ohio. When I got back deployment I hooked up with http://www.seadriftbayfishing.com/ and Captain Chris. They have some awesome private coastal marshes and great red fishing by boat or air boat. I went there with my dad and killed a 11 foot gator while I was down there and fished for Reds. Awesome accommodations with direct TV, steaks, seafood, kloaches the whole 9 very top notch you know how us hill country boys roll. Have any questions just keep me a shout.
Trent
USAF

"If you want success you must put the time and effort in, scouting is mandatory being lazy is a choice. Not having money is the reason they created credit cards."

Big Lake Duck Calls Pro Staff
texashunter1985
Newb

Postby cumminsman03 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:29 pm

Recently did a goose hunt with captain john storm out of el campo. He does duck hunts on the bay. And cast and blast are no problem. He will work his butt of getting you square in the action.

www.stormhuntingandfishing.com
Central Flyway- I'm from Texas, what country are you from?
cumminsman03
hunter

Postby scopolamine » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:41 am

Im hunting Mad Island WMA and you are welcome to tag along if you like. I'll be in line today around 3 if you want to meet up.
scopolamine
hunter

Postby skelso98 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:52 pm

If you want to go the guided route, Baffin rod and gun has some openings before the end of the season (at least they did when I looked at their calendar last week). I'm taking a group down there to hunt with Capt. Aubrey this weekend. Capt. Sally's calendar showed to be open though. Both were open during the week next week and for the last weekend of the season.

Capt Sally told me they are seeing tons of pintails and have been killing some canvas backs, redheads, etc.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
skelso98
hunter

Postby Lefty Ray » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:10 pm

Ditto on Capt Sally and Capt Aubrey. I just did a story on them http://editiondigital.net/publication/?i=139155

The cover photo is one of mine and the fellow did a cast n blast with them and caught this 50 inch redfish after he caught a 30 inch redfish. My story on blast and cast and more pics are on page 12
Lefty Ray
I shoot a SBEII Max 5, Benelli SuperNova, Franci Affinity, and a Canon 7D

Freelance Outdoor Photographer
No Blind is Too Cold, Too Crowded, or Too Far
Lefty Ray
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Try Captain Scott Mccune of Huntntexas.com he is usually booked up way in advance but for good reason. He will put you on the birds and the fish around Rockport. He also knows where to find some other species like mottle duck and canvas backs as well as pins scaup and buffle .... Anyone can throw a rock and kill a limit of redheads at the coast.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby skelso98 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:01 pm

After this weekend's hunt, I would like to retract my recommendation...
skelso98
hunter

Postby justinmi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:32 pm

skelso98 wrote:After this weekend's hunt, I would like to retract my recommendation...

Why, what happened?
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:24 pm

justinmi wrote:
skelso98 wrote:After this weekend's hunt, I would like to retract my recommendation...

Why, what happened?

My guess is not tons of pintails, redheads, or canvasbacks.

Or they are booked.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby skelso98 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 am

justinmi wrote:

Why, what happened?

Trip didn't meet expectations. I sent you a PM.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
skelso98
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting