Taking on a Summer project..

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Taking on a Summer project..

Postby TXHunter96 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:30 pm

I've decided to turn my pond at my farm into a duck hole during the summer. Couple questions but some background first. We have a pond roughly 2 acres in surface area. I've seen ducks occasionally, like maybe once a year. Our farm is in east Texas between Tyler and Longview in the tiny town of big sandy. The pond varies in depth from 6"-30'. Its full of panfish catfish and a few bass. But the floor is mostly muck, so no food source really. Here come the questions

1- Are there even ducks in east Texas?
2- what could I plant this summer when the water is down?
3- is this project even worth it?

I'd really appreciate some input from you guys. I will try to upload some pics of the pond if y'all want me to.
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Re: Taking on a Summer project..

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Post up some pics for sure.... If u have a tractor then I'd say what could it hurt? All u will lose is some of your free time and possibly whatever seed u buy which if it does hold birds it will all be worth it.
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting