Public hunting question

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Public hunting question

Postby TXHunter96 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:48 pm

I know the season is basically over, but I want to do some public hunting next season and have a lake picked out that I want to scout. My questions are: 1- Do I need a boat to public hunt? The lake has designated access points, so does that mean I can walk in? 2- When should I start scouting? August? September? And 3- Are the lakes as over hunted as everyone says, its not worth trying to hunt them?

Thanks. I'm not asking for secret spots or how many ducks there are or where they are. I'm willing to do my own work.
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Re: Public hunting question

Postby bjepsen85 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Well man it's a whole new world out there on public but you're off to a good start, doing it the right way.

1-You may or may not need a boat, depending on if it's needed to access the place you're trying to get to. If there are access points that you can walk in, check the regs and make sure it's legal to do so and go for it. I will tell you this, walk in spots are more apt to have crowds as it's eassier for most to get to.

2- It's never to early to start scouting and find possible places that could hold ducks but best time is just before or just after the season starts when the ducks are here.

3- Lakes can be overcrowded, or can youi can be the only one out there, just depends on when and where.

Good luck man, hope this helps!
bjepsen85
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:19 am

I duck hunt public waters, lakes, and rivers. Start scouting now. I fish the lake that I hunt on, so im always looking for new spots to hunt during the summer. I never hunt on the weekends, I hunt Mon.-Thurs. to avoid the crowds.
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:30 am

Bubba is right go when most people have to work. If u will go to the lake u thinking of the parking areas are eazy to spot and the walk in trails are obvious. Once u get to the water u will prob see several make shift blinds and places where the grass is stomped down iif it is close to the water. How close those blinds are will tell u what kind of hunters u will be dealing with on a saturday
frydaddy
hunter

Postby honestcharlie56 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:03 am

for me scouting is a year round deal, have you thought about getting a kayak?
honestcharlie56
hunter

Postby bjepsen85 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:27 am

Is he going to return and look at all this rock solid advise were giving him?!?!?

A thank you is in order! :hammer:
bjepsen85
hunter

Postby TXHunter96 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:08 pm

bjepsen85 wrote:Is he going to return and look at all this rock solid advise were giving him?!?!?

A thank you is in order! :hammer:

Thanks for the "rock solid" advice! haha.
TXHunter96
hunter

Postby TXHunter96 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:11 pm

honestcharlie56 wrote:for me scouting is a year round deal, have you thought about getting a kayak?

i have a 10 ft aluminum jon boat, but i couldnt figure out the legal registration part and whatnot. i just figured i would be easier to walk in. I can do my fair share of hiking.
TXHunter96
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting