rust

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

rust

Postby frydaddy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:06 am

i could post this on the gun forum but i wanted to hear from texas hunters mostly. i have an 1187 its not expensive but i do very well with it. now that the season is done im done fighting the rust. i have been looking at coatings and wanted to see what u guys especially in the salty south have done with your guns. and where you had it done.
frydaddy
hunter

Re: rust

Postby Diesel57 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:25 am

I dont have any coating on mine just after every hunt we wipe our guns down with solvent than wipe it all off than put oil on them. We also have two bore snakes one with solvent one with oil and run those through.This has worked for me and haven't had any problem with rust and i primarily hunt the coast.
Diesel57
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 pm

If you are looking to get it "dipped", you might look into Cerkoting... http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Bayou_Bowhunter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Mojo281 wrote:If you are looking to get it "dipped", you might look into Cerkoting... http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/

Mojo, do you have your gun done by them? Any feedback you can give?
Bayou_Bowhunter
hunter

Postby skelso98 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:53 pm

I have a buddy that does aqua transfer. It is fairly durable, but it's still a base coat / clear coat type product so it will scratch, wear, etc (especially if they cut corners and skimp on the clear).

I also have guns that have been Cerekoted. The stuff is damn near indestructible, but unless you are willing to shell out more than you paid for your gun, you won't get anyone to spray a pattern so you'll have to go with a solid color.

If you're not in a hurry to get it done, I may have a better solution for you soon. Late in the season I bought a Stoeger M3500 in black matte. It rusts just from the moisture in the air! I've been talking with both my buddy that does aqua transfer and Cerekote about dipping the gun first and top coating with Cerekote's matte clear product. The clear can be applied over paint but Cerekote engineers are not sure how it will respond to fresh paint or if it should be clear coated first... Today I got a call from Cerekote and they are now suggesting a method using a solid base flash cured, then aqua transfer, then cure. They claim it will draw the paint into the base, sealing it during the cure.

I have written up 4 application methods and we are planning to do each on a test piece then get after them with steel wool, sandpaper, etc to see which stands up best. I'll post up results once we get it completed. However I have a crazy schedule for the next few months so it will likely be late March or April before we get to run the tests... (hence the "if you're not in a hurry')

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
skelso98
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting