training ducks

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

training ducks

Postby skelso98 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:36 pm

Anyone need any live training ducks? I've got a buddy with several hundred (pen raised mallards, mixture of hens and drakes) available in South Texas. He's selling them for $12/each.

I'm headed down next week to pick up a load for the Bryan College Station Retriever Club hunt test and will have room to bring back extras if anyone wants any. If you can meet me in BCS next week or at our hunt test, it won't cost you anything for transport. If you need them delivered, we may be able to work something out depending on schedule and quantity.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
skelso98
hunter

Re: training ducks

Postby dogyak » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:22 pm

I know that this is off the topic , but I'm from College Station , if things go right , will be moving back there in about a 1 or 2 yrs , I have a BLF that I run in hunt test here in the southeast , I am a member of NORTHEAST FLORIDA HUNTING RETRIEVER CLUB , have a HR on my pup and 1 finished pass . I left there back in 1978 , in fact my dad has a yellow thats been trained to a finished level dog , but not a member , his name is Bill Berry , he does trained with some members there and goose hunts with I think his last name is Payne or something like that . He has bred and trains labs in the area . Anyway , looking to stay in it when I move back , is it a good active club or one thats on it's last string ,also is it ukc or akc or both , thanks .
dogyak
hunter

Postby skelso98 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:32 pm

dogyak wrote:I know that this is off the topic , but I'm from College Station , if things go right , will be moving back there in about a 1 or 2 yrs , I have a BLF that I run in hunt test here in the southeast , I am a member of NORTHEAST FLORIDA HUNTING RETRIEVER CLUB , have a HR on my pup and 1 finished pass . I left there back in 1978 , in fact my dad has a yellow thats been trained to a finished level dog , but not a member , his name is Bill Berry , he does trained with some members there and goose hunts with I think his last name is Payne or something like that . He has bred and trains labs in the area . Anyway , looking to stay in it when I move back , is it a good active club or one thats on it's last string ,also is it ukc or akc or both , thanks .

I don't know your dad but the name sounds familiar. As far as this "Payne" character... you gotta keep an eye on that guy... ;P Actually, that's Charles Payne. He's a good friend and neighbor of mine. He and I train together quite often. He's training a puppy out of my last litter for one of my buyers.

The club is great. Being in a college town we work very diligently to keep bringing in new members as many move away after they graduate. We are AKC and UKC. We've even started doing some Owner / Handler quals. We traditionally put on some of the largest tests in the state. Having access to the corp of cadets to work as bird boys allows us to handle much more than clubs that put a test on with just their members as workers. Our Spring AKC is next weekend. It closed with 140+ masters, 50+ senior, and 60+ junior dogs on both Sat and Sun.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
skelso98
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Thats him , Charles Payne , my dad went with him goose hunting about 2 weeks ago , he got a yellow female from one of his litters 7 yrs ago . Know what you mean about bird boys , we use the boy scouts over here to work our hunt tests . Thanks for the intell on the club , I was born and raise there , but went and made a living else where , but glad to be retiring and moving back home after all these years . Will be coming in for thanksgiving , maybe we can hook up for some training , remember about 4 yrs ago , there was a retired doctor that had some nice grounds around there for training with ponds thats a member of the local club . Take care !
dogyak
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting