Lower laguna madre duck hunting

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Lower laguna madre duck hunting

Postby SemperJoe » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:09 am

Hello fellas I'm new to this site and have read plenty of great post with tons of information. I looking for some help on duck hunting the lower laguna madre, I am from Edinburg and travel to the Port Isabel area. Where would you recommend to walk in or possibly with a boat look to set up for a first time for this years duck season coming up. Keep in mind I will be taking my 15 year old and occasionally my 4 year which I have taking coot hunting and loves it so I know he will probably sleep in truck the night before just to make sure I don't leave him behind. Thank you look forward to hearing from everyone...

SemperJoe

Don't every point you weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot!!!!!!!!
SemperJoe
hunter

Re: Lower laguna madre duck hunting

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:51 pm

:welcome:

I would be prepared for some answer that you probably wont like. We see this a lot people joining the site long enough to ask a couple of questions about a spot or try and find a place to hunt and then bounce.

This is probably going to be your best friend

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/

You can get a lot of info here and you can also get contact info for the warden in that area. Another thing to do would be plan a fishing trip and knock out two birds with one stone scout/fish. Good luck and stick around DHC! :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:42 pm

People on here aren't very tolerant of first time/new posters internet scouting. I would second TPWL and just scout on your own when possible. Combine this with going with a guide close to the area you want to hunt to get a feel for how to best take advantage of and access the area.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby SemperJoe » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:04 pm

stumpjumper1590 wrote::welcome:

I would be prepared for some answer that you probably wont like. We see this a lot people joining the site long enough to ask a couple of questions about a spot or try and find a place to hunt and then bounce.

This is probably going to be your best friend

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/

You can get a lot of info here and you can also get contact info for the warden in that area. Another thing to do would be plan a fishing trip and knock out two birds with one stone scout/fish. Good luck and stick around DHC! :thumbsup:

Understandable well I have spoken to the game warden and there wasn't much advice they could give but just that we could hunt along the shore line. Could you advice me of a general vicinity in the Lower laguna or any recommendation on any guides . I do a lot of fishing and scouting a area while fishing does make sense I will try that in the up coming months.
SemperJoe
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:23 pm

I hear you I will be doing the same around corpus in the next few months while wade fishing. I would start by looking for the water access points and finding shallow structure and food (grass beds) on Google earth around those locations then scouting them. Also stay clear of access in a National refuge unless your on a boat. As for guides I know one in Rockport but you would have to check close to where you want to hunt.

SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby SemperJoe » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:37 pm

SAHunter1983 wrote:I hear you I will be doing the same around corpus in the next few months while wade fishing. I would start by looking for the water access points and finding shallow structure and food (grass beds) on Google earth around those locations then scouting them. Also stay clear of access in a National refuge unless your on a boat. As for guides I know one in Rockport but you would have to check close to where you want to hunt.

Thanks for the advice its a good starting point...
SemperJoe
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Like I said in the original post stick around here!

There is a lot of people on here that are very helpful with info. They just want to make sure your gonna be sticking around first. This up coming season is going to be my first down in corpus so if your interested once I get down there and find some spots you can hit me up and we will get after them.

That goes out to both of you! :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:41 pm

I will be coming from San Antonio with a buddy to wade fish but I am up for fishing/scouting whenever I am down that way.

SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:08 am

I will be down mid May, we will have to put something together. :thumbsup:

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:36 am

Sounds good keep in contact. I know a few holes near corpus for good reds and trout.

SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Sounds good! I grew up fishing fresh water, so learning my way around in the bay is gonna be a new learning experience.

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting